Community Comm-Link 27th July 2023

This isn’t just Fatshark, a lot of modern gaming devs are like this. This gets me so antsy. Why is it so hard to just optimize a software product. Why do people need a recommended RTX fifty two million with flashing LED lights to run your game when it doesn’t even look that great compared to older games of yonder.

4 Likes

If they were allowed to be honest:

“We wanted to do more, but Daniel and Juan said we had to get it done before the Xbox release so we rushed it out as best we could.”

7 Likes

As much as I cannot agree enough with this, I fear they will not and cannot do so because the truthful answers would be something along the lines of: “We cannot remove the locks because some excecutive will not allow us to do so because they would rather you waste your time than enjoy yourself.”

Call it a bad faith argument but what else are they supposed to say that’s not just obvious BS?

“The locks are so hard coded in that they cannot be removed”?
“We feel that they add something fun to the game”?
“We are afraid that people would stop playing the game too quickly if the locks were removed”?

I can’t think of anything positive that would come out of that them answering those kind of questions, be those answer truthful or not.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love some answers even if I don’t like what they might be but it doesn’t take a genius to foresee the negative backlash that would occur. Because of that, I couldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to put up with it.

3 Likes

Because the days of data types other than float are gone. And don’t mention optimizing of (usage of …), that’s witchcraft. If it’s not solvable by throwing RAM/storage/MHz/… at it, it becomes non-existent. Everyone wants to be an artist (you know, the shiny stuff).
As least with gaming as it seems

If I were to think of the most positive spin on the locks specifically it would be something like:

“We did a survey in VT2 and found a majority of players wished they had more to do in the end game” [apparently this is true I don’t have the source]

"So we wanted to add more endgame content but near release (during beta) we heard a lot of criticism about ever increasing crafting costs for changing perks. This made us change some things on the fly. But the newest iteration was also widely disliked.

Instead of trying to continuously pivot and make quick half baked bandaids we decided to take a step back, look at feed back and make sure we got it, and other systems right before we released the console version so we didn’t have the same poor experiences for players. This caused a lot more internal testing and debates to see what would give players the control they want, a reasonable grind, and some 'end game’s to chase".

I dunno something along those lines would be what I would expect (assuming it was true).

2 Likes

This is probably the most positive way of framing it, again, assuming it was true.

Let me rephrase this entire thing just to satisfy my need for satiric comedy: “We heard you / we have listened and are working on implementing your feedback.”

Aka, a very boilerplate “We hear you(!)” statement is the most positive way of spinning any potential answer… Not particularly reassuring tbh.

Ofc this is cynically minimized for me to have to type as little as possible but it goes to show very neatly, just how limited their options of response are, even if they were allowed to respond at all.

Irrespective of that any of their answers could/will be, what matters 10^n more is that they actually follow through with the changes the systems so desperately need. Dropping the ball on this one is simply not an option for them (yet I am convinced that they will not do what is necessary)

We will simply have to see what they have in store for us… Next Week™

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @FatsharkCatfish can’t wait to see what changes and improvements are comin’! I, for one, am enjoying the game very much! Looking forward to lots of fun new content!!

1 Like

It’s kinda fun actually… It’s a little quirky thing that developers use to bring their community. DRG does it by calling players ‘miners’. Makes players feel like their part of a ‘exclusive’ group or club.

The ironic part is though with Fatshark, is they probably mean it literally, because they have zero interest in building a healthy community.

1 Like

to be frank we are called ‘rejects’, and FS consistently rejects our ideas, so this works for DT as well.

5 Likes

Must say this is not exact I pushed for the change of Rashad and they finally listened for it.
I also suggested that we can share the blessing knowledge between characters and they made it.

I have also seen someone suggesting that they add a T3 Power cycler and they added it.

As I said several times, the problem about asking to remove “locks” is that this would impact the entire system they designed. And I firmly doubt they would want to break the system they designed.
That’s why I suggested several times to address the true problem of the current system. The time needed to get a good weapon. In fact, you have to spend to much time to get a weapon that you will love. Even crafting a simple weapon is hard.
Brunt’s armoury doesn’t give 375+ weapons… or you must spend lot of money. And that’s a serious problem cause higher are modifiers, better are the odds to find a T4 blessing. That’s why, I said it numerous times, I buy my weapons only for the normal shop and only buy 375+.
In fact, you don’t need lot of tries to get an excellent weapon. But, you must know the blessings you need on your weapon. If you know the 2 blessings you want, you simply need to find it 1 time to create an excellent weapon.
But, this system is not player friendly… cause you get too few plasteel, cause you need too much money to get a decent grey weapon, cause you have to check every hour the shop to find weapons opportunities… and let’s be honest, FS needs, as any company, to make money. But, by making a system that is targeting only hardcore gamers, they have lost lot of customers.
That’s why they need to address this problem. More the game has players, better it is.
However, locks are not the problem. This is one way to resolve one problem, ie the time to obtain a good weapon, but this is not the only solution.

As I said several times, and this is to avoid the comments that I am supporting FS system, this is absolutely not the system I would have loved. But tbh, I am not sure lot of players would agree with what I would want.
In fact, I think that the frustration exists cause of the fact you “can” potentially get a perfect weapon, but odds to get it is so small that it won’t happen. So, the problem is the possibility to get something perfect. That’s why I would have preferred a system when you would decide how you build your weapon, modifiers, perks, blessings etc. with a total freedom (by example you could choose to not have any perk, or 1 or 2). Every choice would cost points and you would get an amount of them based of the consecrate level. This is the system I would love… but this is a system where you would never get a perfect weapon.

EDIT: I precise that I have never think that the system I would love could be implemented in this game…

1 Like

I think, I would go insane if I had to count how many times, by how many people, you have been told that “we” don’t agree with what you want, be it for mathematical or sentimental reasons…

Locks need to go, whether you or the designers agree or not. End of story.

8 Likes

Again… you make a mistake on your target.
I don’t care that they remove the locks, I already own 95% of the weapons I want. I just said it many times, I really don’t think that they can remove the locks and let the system unchanged.
But changing the system to something else needs time and can have slide effects.

I doubt they will go for that, or they would have announced it by now. Hopefully for you, I can be wrong.
And so, as I said numerous times, as I don’t believe that they will remove the locks, I won’t ask for something that I don’t think that it will happen and, moreover, that is not the only solution. And that’s why I push to make the system more friendly for players. Not only for the little community here… but for potential players that don’t know tide games.
Personally, I tried VT2, and I hated this game. Played it 20,8 hours and stopped. At contrary, I played DT 1371,2 hours…

I would prefer this as well. Even over VT2’s system. We can agree on this :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So the Athanor system from Vermintide 2 Weaves?

4 Likes

Srry… as I said… I played 20 hours VT2.

No prob, I was never personally a big fan of the Weaves gamemode itself but the system used for upgrading/crafting weapons was the best part of it. You earned points to spend on upgrading and tweaking your weapon without any RNG like you were pointing out.

2 Likes

Holy lord almighty, THAT IS THE POINT!
They need to remove the locks and come up with a new system entirely.

Oh I very much so agree but eventhough that may be the case, I will not and cannot pretend that another halfassed solution is going to be good enough.

Doing the right thing (aka, coming up with a new system, free of locks) is usually not the easy way out. If they wanna do a temporary solution that leaves the locks in but heavely improves our odds while having promised that they are going to work on a new system that can have them removed, fine. At this point I’d take it.

This is very much so a case of “2 steps forword, 1 step back”. They wanna push the goalpost of “being able to waste our time to their benefit” by 2 steps and then say that “we have heard your feedback and are discussing solutions internally” aka making it seem like that are going 1 step back.
What’s the result at the end? The goalpost was moved 1 step towards shittier gamedesign.

We simply cannot be ok with that because if we are, it’s only a matter of time before there is no rerolling at all, 500 useless perks with 20 levels, 5 blessing slots with 10 levels each and 1/100th the crafting mat earn-rate.

Also, yes I’d like to have gotten a more deterministic system and I’m not gonna stop suggesting they should rip out the current, [REDACTED], one and replace it with something that doesn’t just reek of “look at our engagement statistics dear investors, our stock good”.

2 Likes

Well, as I said, then I would push for a totally different system where you would get points you can freely attribute. Let’s take an example of what I would have loved.
At first you go to Brunt’s and pay 1 million ordos and get a fresh weapon. You get 425 points you can distribute between modifiers, from 0 to 100 (425 points = 85 for all modifiers).
Each consecration level would add 40 points… so a max of +160 points that you could use to add perks, blessings and also modifiers. To consecrate you would need plasteel and diamantine.
Every modification of the weapon would cost plasteel, diamantine and ordos. The modifications would be definitive.
The big point of such system is that you cannot get a “perfect” weapon. You can only experiment and work to find what suit best to your gameplay.

However, I am not sure that designing a totally new system is the greatest idea. This game lacks content. For people that don’t play the game “cause of locks”, they can’t see it. But, regular players can see that we need more maps, more missions, more enemies… and I don’t talk about solo that is needed and also a better mission “board” (maybe the possibility to create whatever mission you want and allow us to define filters for the quickplay feature).
I really think they must address the problem, that is in fact the time you have to spend to get one good weapon. Missions last 30 minutes and you need several to craft your first orange. This is really too much considering all the “RNG” around the crafting. Also you should always want to craft a 375+ weapon, cause you would have better odds to get a T4 blessing. However, finding the weapon you want with good distribution that is 375+ is really hard… you can, at least that’s my solution, only rely on the normal shop. But, it means you need to check it every hours. This system is not player friendly.
As I posted several times, I would push for these changes.
Don’t get me wrong… I hate RNG and I explained what I would have loved, and this is the absolute contrary of the current DT system.
However, I fear that they won’t redo the system. I think also that the game really lacks content and they have to give more if they want that the current player base keep playing. By the same time, they also need to address the problem. So I would say that, if they don’t give us an entire new system, at least they can correct the system to be more user friendly.
Tbh, I would prefer such changes and that we can get sooner a new subclass… and more maps etc. When you know how crafting works, locks are not a problem. The problem is the time you need to collect resources to craft… and find a good weapon to craft.

I know that lot of perks are useless… we have, off course, the +x% ordos for mission, the best perk +x% experience, the biggest joke +x% to get a curio… and also all poorly designed +x% damage for weak spot hit, +x% damages for critic hit etc.
I don’t think they will introduce new perks… but they should remove or redesign several…

In regard to the crafting system, I would say your opinion is coloured by your 1000+ hour playtime and have forgotten how much a pain it is to get a decent weapon.

At this point, any release of new content is poisoned by their systems and I’d rather they fix that first because they honestly do kill the excitement for anything new. Most of the time you can’t even play the new content without having to jump through RNG hoops.

3 Likes

Not really

I wanted on my Ogryn a good ripper gun… I have now several with different MK and I did not really force for that.
This is not really hard to get what you want… the problem is, again, the time you need for that.