Sound will cut out at random , which leads to a freeze, and crash. Never happened before newest penance update

Issue Type (Required):

Audio

Issue Description (Required):

So after the latest penance update, my game will randomly crash. At first I thought it was maybe the mods. So I removed the two mods I had. The UI one and bookfinder. After several tries to run the game, uninstalled everything. Did the ,Delete Darktide AppData & Verify Integrity of Game Files step, followed by installing the Visual C++ 2019 Redistributables and reinstalled the game , and ran it without any mods installed whatsoever, even did the steam cloud step. Tried putting the game on the other ssd I have. Same issue. The sound will cut out at random , followed by freezing ,and crashing. Sometimes I get as far as loading into the morningstar, sometimes Itā€™s halfway through a mission (super fun , yayā€¦) .

[PC] Do You Use Mods? (Optional):

Yes, and Iā€™ve tried disabling them

Reproduction Rate (Required):

Often (<75%)

Platform (Required):

Steam (PC)

[PC] Crash Report (Optional):

GUID: 2f28e14a-a52b-4cfb-8489-d3ec00dd202f
Log File:
Info Type:

4 Likes

There is definitely something off with sound. My game has sudden sound stutters, followed by FPS drops, stutters and other tiny symptoms.

Reminds me of the old times in Gaming when sound drivers would bug out. It sounds like that.

3 Likes

I had two people in discord general chat tell me they had similar stuff happen as well. Itā€™s for sure the new patch messing something up. Like more strain or something.

1 Like

Iā€™ve raised this with our developers! Thanks for letting us know.

3 Likes

Same hapening here with the addition of not being able to reconnect to the ongoing session due to the game immediately crashing

the weird thing is this line:
<>scripts/foundation/managers/package/package_manager.lua:132: Package reference ā€˜content/fx/particles/liquid_area/beast_of_nurgle_slimeā€™ does not exist in resource manager.<</Script Error>>

console-2024-04-18-15.18.59-065c42ee-e41b-442a-9221-c9faa4bbd874.log (121.0 KB)

1 Like

The solution was solved for me by reinstalling the game and just in case I had any doubts, I formatted the disk where it was installed

Have 2 ssdā€™s, game didnā€™t work properly on either of the ssdā€™s, even after formatting.

Tried playing again. Crashed right as I think a special spawned.

GUID: 72fbc988-8a43-4881-8b79-9e0d4a4a3671
Log File:
Info Type:

this is something else.

this error is tricky since the logs doesnā€™t match the engine crash, meaning that this is not a real deadlock, but more likely a large stall that we believe is a deadlock.

One had info about sound which make sense that you have issues with sound.

The issue is that we have no way to determine what causing your stalls. I will see if we can send a build that has stall warnings enabled which we can hopefully use to track down what causing your stalls.

Uh okay. Now Iā€™m just more confused though.

Same here.
Playing normally through a mission, suddenly sound starts getting janky, game gets micro freezes, then classic desync symptoms (enemies frozen in place not reacting to your hits, or they keep running straight through obstacles and walls), then I get disconnected. Trying to rejoin the session results in multiple ā€œerror 2004ā€ message until I can get back in the fightā€¦ where this stuff just repeats if Iā€™m unlucky.

Never had any problems since launch, this only started on Tuesday after the update.

2 Likes

Got the same problem when the new update came.
This is the first technical issue i have had since launch.
Sound cutting out here n there for a second or more, usually freezing when the sound cuts out and sometimes (not often) it will crash as a result.
I did experience different intensity of audio cuts when i changed the audio settings which is odd. (Only using headphones, havent tried speakers)

This wont stop me from playing even tho it is a struggle on auric 5 so i may stay away from that difficulty for the time being.

PS. I dont use any mods.

not sure if we done anything regarding sound (not that i know of).

But with this patch we introduced direct storage for reading files which also gives us a way to prioritize files over others. In this case sound should have higher prio since we dont want cutoff sounds.

Im working at adding a betabranch were we can add a setting for example use the old file reader if this would be the issue.

We can potentially add stall warnings which we should see in the log. I will see the status of this branch and when it can be ready.

when itā€™s there you can specify
disable_dstorage = true in user_settings.config to turn it off.

Not that this should be off by default since this is the environment we are testing with and thus other paths are not 100% tested.

I will try keep track when we have it live so I can let you know.

For the other ppl, please upload your crashify links since deadlocks tends to be due to different reasons and some cases we can see actual deadlocks.

The sound cutting out and stutter in the game happens once or twice every mission. It generally doesnā€™t result in a crash for me, but it sure sounds/looks like it could.

The process for me was: Sound cutting out for 2 or 3 sec, then followed inmediatly by a freeze, lasting from 3 to sometimes 10sec. When its a short freeze, I can usually keep playing after that. But i see player and mobs not moving for a while(But i can freely move and attack). When its a long freeze, after game would resume, other player and mobs are also not moving like after the short freeze(again, i can freely move), most of the time after the long freeze, i would get a disconnect with 2001 error, which i could then reconnect. I also had one instance where i was playing with 2 friends, after the freeze we all disconnected, but they had no freezes. Hope this information helps

2 Likes

I had that exact same thing last night

This happens to me every match since the path of redemption update, most of the time I just disconnect, sometimes I get a crash.

2 Likes

We need this to be fixed asap, game is unplayable atm.

1 Like