So we always have to buy more premium currency then we need to buy premium stuff. Nice predatory tactic Fatshark. Tought you are better than this. Or maybe it's Tencent? Plus timer for FOMO

Sadly, you may be right

1 Like

Please take the time to take a look at this post.

4 Likes

Good lord the cry babies came out in force for this game…

Scoreboards were removed for ‘toxicity’, yet these toxic shenanigans with the cash shop are implemented.

4 Likes

Devil’s advocate here; People would be more pissed off if it was the other way around and the cash shop was the thing that was added after launch.

MTX is still MTX, even face paint cost you $5 in that game. Just because you like the game, doesn’t mean everything got green pass no matter how bad they are

Aaand like i said, i was there when the game are still barebonbe and guess what, all we have back then before Heavensward is just promises…no joke. Core story is not that engaging (sometimes downright boring), class were barebones, and cosmetic…yea relic weapon quest tedious.

What make FF14 like what we have right now is also thanks to the community, they support the game, and giving feedback. If they don’t like something, they will discuss it with dev on a civilized manner.

Like this topic for example, it’s actually make sense for people being mad that the game currently force you to buy more to get a limited time costume. Yet the whole topic got derailed into bs like “the game force you to buy stuff / why dev focus on cash shop on release rather than fixing bug” which doesn’t make any sense since like many people said, coding and graphic designer were made by different person…

2 Likes

Its more of an ethical question. If your product does not function as intended and missin several features should u ask for more money? Thats the single reason why i brought up EW launch cuz that was my point in that post. If your game is really disfunctional for several ppl then should u really be focusing milking your customer for more?

The cosmetic shop by all means should be temporarly shut down even if it does not change (even though it should) cuz this is a bad outlook on them. This shows that they are more then willing to ask for more and more money with all the fomo practices ect while they didnt even delivered on your first purchase…the game itself. This move is completely immoral. I can try and understand that oh coding is hard and small company ect ect but still they are more then happy it seems to push the shop ready on launch to get more money out of u while u wait getting yout product. This part tbh is a really scummy move.

3 Likes

That’s pure subjective as I disagree on every of those. However it’s objectively predatory and scummy to include overpriced premium currency without ability to buy the amount you want + FOMO timer tactics to create urgency. That’s not really up to debate as psychology itself defines those as manipulative tactics in sales.

1 Like

Not impressed by the cosmetics shop. Everyone I meet has already burned out all their cosmetic penances, so we all look the same. Hoping they either reign in the cash shop so I actually feel like engaging with it, or they add more cosmetics outside the shop that aren’t just recolors and moving some decals around. I want to give you money FS, but not if you’re using dark ux to get it from me.

2 Likes

Fatshark website : oh the irony.

6 Likes

I think it’s worth noting that Aqshy has talked about that pretty extensively on the reddit post where that was brought up. That FAQ came out in June, and that edit was made 1 day later because they made a mistake with the wording and edited it to clarify - the two currencies were always intended to be different. It was an error and fixed within 24 hours. Not a nefarious changing of their policy.

I am not a fan at at all with how this premium currency is being handled, but this point is being blown way out of proportion and is pretty disingenuous imo.

2 Likes

You miss the point that FF14 has a bunch of years on its shoulders and is a complete different type of game. Meanwhile all 3 tide-games together are not as old as FF14 is, but still have a bunch of content and replay-ability.
Talking about Content in a MMORPG like FF14 is also hard to judge about. The game is aritfically elongated. The most stuff is like a tide game… rinse and repeat just in a new environment and new art-design, meanwhile subclasses play pretty much the same.

Of course it still has side-content like housing, the new island, treasure-maps or just fishing. But yet again you pay a montly subscription AND buy any new DLC for full-price. And this money doesn´t even go back to the game 100%.
The cashshop isn´t even less expensive than the one from Darktide. In the worst case you pay 30 bucks for a mount on ONE character. Not to mention that a lot of stuff is from past events.
Ok, it might be cool to be able to get stuff from past events, but why not let the events return with it? No… they bring new events between the content-downtimes and also have a timer on housing to force the players to continue their sub. The events are mostly loveless designed fates anyway.

So…there´s absolutely NO reason to have a cashshop on a subscription game with that amount of players. Atleast definately not an expensive one as FF14 has.

Square Enix just got greedy af. You can also see it at the new singleplayer-game prices. 70-90bucks for the standard edition. So far it seems like Skultion said… “Just because you like the game…”.

Your point is mute as game you mention doesn’t use Premium Currency pack so you overpay and obscure the value you pay and don’t use FOMO in store either.

As was said earlier: nobody has issue paying for cosmetic in store. Also stop bringing a subscription to discussion about predatory sales tactics which is what we are critising.

Stick to topic please and don’t try to derail it into stuff not related to mobile tacitcs in game stores.

Ok, fair. I didn’t know about that. I will remove it to not share not-related information. Thanks

1 Like

I refunded on launch day, so just here to bump this. Praying for good change as I can’t condone the current state of the game.

5 Likes

You defended FF14 and that it´s far better than Darktide / Fatshark will ever be.

So at this point i´m going to compare their shops and overall costs of course. (As someone else did before.)
They´ve a subscription, so what´s the reason they also should´ve a more expensive shop than Darktide?
Also they abuse FOMO just in another way. You wasn´t here at the event and missed something? Here just look at the shop!

It´s just a different sales-tactic.

Also i was on topic when someone else brought up League of Legends and i remember you coming up with principles etc… Where are you principles at a sub-game, which definately don´t need any shop on top to pay itself?

“Please focus on topic, but i can bring in other stuff and say it´s ok since i´m fan of it and Yoshi-P!”

Sorry but it´s actually how you act. It´s just obvious fanboying on one side while showing the middlefinger on the other and far away from being objective.
It got already said that FOMO sucks yeah. But it got also said that the shop is decent for modern gaming. It gets way worse and FF14 is just one example, not that worse, but still worse.

Also just by scrolling to the actual shop it´s mostly just 50cent overpaying. Only the headgear for 700 is in a pretty bad state unless you gonna buy a bigger package aquilas for something else too.

So yeah, it could be much worse. But no… better search for more reasons and pictures (you did know nothing about) on reddit, youtube and co., until you put the game away. Maybe you gonna sleep well then.

EDIT: Man… i know one or another guy even being like “I´ll never play a subscription game, because i feel like forced to play then to get my money worth!”.
Meanwhile they´ve spend like 5000 bucks within 5 years in a game called League of Legends, “to support the devs” , and never touch it again.

I guess the most here are actually that sort of players. If a game is their favorite they gonna cash blindly in without seeing what nonsense it is. But how dare them if the devs let me buy stuff only every 2 weeks. x)

Just adding my voice to this. I have already paid full price for this game. That there is a cash store at all is disappointing in a game I have paid full price for.

That’s already not great, but I understand the live service model.
I think the model is hate-worthy and amounts to a get-out-of-jail-free card for delivering things in a poor state and keeping the business afloat where otherwise it would have sank, by selling tat to credulous magpies.

I’d have much preferred that the developers made actual content and sold that in the form of DLCs - but given they’re behind on the content of the actual game, that’s not feasible, and it’s much more cost effective to churn out vastly overpriced piffle for the cash printer - I mean shop.

EDIT - this is how it ends up being most times. An exception would be something like Elite Dangerous, which I consider an excellent and reasonable adoption of this model. No FOMO timers, no ludicrously exploitative purchase denominations of fake currency. It’s not always bad… but here, it really is.

But it gets worse! Because you’ve very deliberately - as the hand of Tencent ventriloquises you from your forbidden luggage compartment - employed predatory and manipulative tactics to pressure people into buying more of this tat. Timers to make people feel pressured they’ll not be able to buy that mask or armour again, transparently incremented fake currency purchase amounts that mean they’ll always have “not quite enough” or “a lot left over” to encourage another purchase. It’s really scummy. That’s not even mentioning the obscene pricing of this tat. It’s like, 1/3 the price of the game for one (not very good) outfit for one character.

Because of the way Fatshark have handled this, and the terrible optics, and the awful message about their priorities that it sends when you contrast the state of the cash store with the missing features and technical state on release, I’m not going to spend any money in that store, ever. On principle.

If you release some competently produced DLC, which is finished at the time you try to sell it to me, then I will likely buy it.

11 Likes

I’ve read through your post and most of the comments here, I really don’t comprehend what the actual issue is here. There’s plenty of free content that you don’t have to pay for. This is only a store literally for extra clothes and it’s 100% optional. Most of these 2400 Aquila packs are the same thing as buying small DLC packs for other games that also only give cosmetic items. Is it entitlement that makes y’all go into an uproar over something completely optional to participate in??? Not a AAA game studio, either love them and the games they’ve made and be ok with supporting them a little bit more than just buying the game, or don’t. Y’all need to take a butt ton of chill pills.

Edit: Y’all also keep talking about some FOMO timer. Am I right in understanding that means a “Fear of missing out” timer? If so jesus y’all are wild… I see the timer and I don’t think oh no I only have so long to be able to afford these things. I think oh cool that hopefully means at the end of the timer there will be even more things to take a look at.

Optics, anti-consumer business practises, whaling, exploitative psychological practises, feature prioritisation… I find it hard to believe you don’t understand these terms or how they apply to the state of the game at launch.

There’s plenty of free content that you don’t have to pay for.

Ahh, the lofty standards we have set as consumers in 2022.

This is only a store literally for extra clothes and it’s 100% optional.

It’s also 100% functional, unlike a great deal of other technical aspects of the game we’ve paid near-AAA prices for. What does that say to the consumer?

Most of these 2400 Aquila packs are the same thing as buying small DLC packs for other games that also only give cosmetic items.

Yeah it’s crazy, bad practise exists in other games too. Oh, was that your entire point?

Is it entitlement that makes y’all go into an uproar over something completely optional to participate in?

It is not entitlement to want the work on the product you’ve already paid for to be completed to an acceptable standard before the company tries to sell you overpriced tat to go with it as a “time limited offer” and making you pay far more than the already-inflated cost of the item by making you go through an intermediate currency at cynically, tactically-chosen denominations which put you just under or way over the cost of the item in that intermediate currency.

It’s insulting to any thinking person. Is anyone actually this uncritical? I guess you’re their target audience.

Not a AAA game studio, either love them and the games they’ve made and be ok with supporting them a little bit more than just buying the game, or don’t.

I choose don’t. I will support competently delivered products. That’s how consumerism works when the consumer actually thinks. They aren’t the sweet old couple that runs the local post office in my village. They don’t need your charity. They are a sizeable company with a lot of money behind them from Tencent and other investors.

I’ve no doubt there’s some hyperbole in this thread because people are alarmed at the direction FS has taken, but if you seriously don’t see any problem with their practise or implementation, I struggle to believe you understand the industry.

Y’all also keep talking about some FOMO timer. Am I right in understanding that means a “Fear of missing out” timer? If so jesus y’all are wild…

You definitely don’t understand the industry. The FOMO timer is a well-known, much-maligned practise that has been standard in low-effort, low-quality cash store games and similar cynical enterprises for a long time. It’s also used on scam websites and similar to pressure people into snap purchases. People did not invent that term in this thread. It is well-defined domain knowledge that you are ignorant of.

I see the timer and I don’t think oh no I only have so long to be able to afford these things.

What you think when you see the timer is immaterial - they put it in because of the well-documented psychological fact that it pressures more people into making snap purchases. It’s not there by accident. It’s literally a scientific, demonstrable fact.

I’ve read through your post and most of the comments here, I really don’t comprehend what the actual issue is here.

You don’t say.

14 Likes

Yes, it’s clear that you don’t. Nobody here complains about store itself or paid cosmetics as an idea or revenue mechanic. Read whole thread again and see what we complain about.

12 Likes