[PC] - Vermintide 2 - Patch 1.1.0.1 Content Update

If there’s a parameter that identifies how many commendation chests someone has, could the team not have simply given everyone 1x Commendation Chest per hero level minus the number in their possession? This would be the most logical solution. Since Commendation Chests didn’t drop reds and practically no one had cosmetics, the only additional boon would be in the form of a lil dust, which would still be good considering the green dust situation until now. This could be a case of hindsight being 20/20 though unless you can look at that data from before the patch launched.

Even if this is the only way you could do it, it would still ensure vets weren’t worse off than newcomers. I’m sure you’ve read the posts from other people saying the same thing: they’re disheartened/hurt/insulted or feel used over this.

I’ve a lot of MMO experience and what you’re describing isn’t like this at all. That only happens with vertical progression and while it’s similar, it’s not nearly to the same degree because the veteran players are using their already obtained loot to move onto the new content while the new players still have to get some/most of the old loot, it’s just a little easier with each stage of vertical progression. This isn’t a vertical progression game though. It’s a horizontal progression game with a firm ceiling, so the people who spent 400-1000 hours trying to hit that ceiling have nothing to show for it and people with zero hours will hit it faster. Also, MMOs have become pretty mindless skinner boxes these days… I’m not sure that’s a good comparison to draw as that’s just not what Vermintide is or, I hope, wants to be.

The few times a game does create a situation like this, they’ve given players a “Sorry for the inconvenience” bonus as a result. I’ve never seen the dev of a loot-based game not do this. It’s just good PR and customer service, even if it’s just as a gesture. Hell, Battleborn did this constantly and even when I had over 1000hrs in the game and the contents of the chest were completely meaningless to me, it was nice to know the devs were thinking about their players like that.

Obviously not… There’s a pretty major difference between hundreds or thousands of mahours for one person and having to re-craft an item. Plus if someone salvaged their only version of a weapon it was probably not a red. Anyways, this comparison you’re trying to make here is totally out of left field. It doesn’t equate at all.

The issue is very simply that thousands of players invested hundreds/thousands of end-game hours, each, farming for reds and cosmetics. Millions of combined manhours went into that and the reward value of that time has been retroactively flushed. That’s why people are upset. We bought what was supposed to be a full release, ended up as Early Access play-testers, and the game still isn’t where the ads said it was supposed to be when we bought it. FS created a situation where the best way to win was to not play until now.

But it’s not just in the short term. The longer someone played prior to the patch w/o hording, the greater the disparity, especially when it comes to cosmetics which is what motivates a lot of ppls’ endgame participation. For example, from a cosmetics perspective, the reward value of a player’s time who has 450hrs now will be <50% of that of a new player when the vet has 900 hrs and the new player has 450 hrs. Similarly, since the first 150 chests are simply way faster and easier to get than any that come after that, a veteran player’s time will currently never have a non-trivial disparity in comparison to new players.

Honestly, if someone had just said they’d thought about it, understood it was an issue, and apologized for the situation, that would have gone a really long way. Instead, what we got was in the opposite direction with the “you can open your chests now” comment. I know that’s not the intent but that’s how it feels. A lot of us have sunk a ton of time into this game and dealt with all of the bumbs and bugs along the way and I know I speak for some of us when I say that a healthy chunk of us feel ignored. Other companies just don’t act like this. I’d expect this from EA but not from you guys.

If I had to give you an honest answer as to what would be a really nice gesture for the people who’ve been around since before this patch (ie. the early adopters) it would be to just them a unique skin or frame or hat or something like that. Or just some friggin chests if that’s too hard. Anything that gives us the impression FS cares but the months of deafening near-silence until now have been excrutiating.

2 Likes

Is it intentional that my hero specific challenges for Kerillian, like completing all mission on veteran, recruit etc etc. that I have to do them all AGAIN? I am level 201 kerillian with about 400h gametime I really dont wanna go back to recruit for those cosmetic rewards…

Doing the maps on legend grants all previous difficulties in the challenges.

4 Likes

Exactly.

Is the team going to do something about the duplicates issue or is this an intended feature to bring players closer and closer to leaving the game entirely?

4 Likes

Thanks for the comprehensive response. Some people are just surreal.

Commendation chests are a limitless resource and people don’t have a tactical gameplay disadvantage for not getting a bunch of commendation chests as fast as some new players (also the rate at which people get these chests equalise soon enough, so…), as well as no gameplay disadvantage compared to “hoarders”. To what degree does this even extent? Like, how many people are there who hoarded chests? And why even care?

I really wished I knew what @Avar and @NikKotovski are smoking so I can stay the hell away from it. Btw @NikKotovski , didn’t you write a while back, you were done with the game and the developer, because you were salty that they didn’t give you feedback for all your totally awesome ideas, you wrote this insultingly long post about? What are you even doing here anymore?

Off topic: @Fatshark_Hedge Huge fan of the first Vermintide. Please add “classic” maps to the mission pool! Cheers =)

1 Like

In your dreams, mate.

3 Likes

A huge part of endgame is farming cosmetics. This was true in VT1 as well, as by virtue of the effective crafting system you had no issue making perfect roll exotics, so you weren’t after a, lol, “tactical gameplay advantage.” As a fan of the first game you should know this. The only reason this hasn’t been 100% true of VT2 so far is because the crafting system is terrible compared to VT1’s and lack of green dust has meant that players need reds to get proper rolls.

Being toxic to people with valid criticism really doesn’t help the company. You’re not actually making any points, you’re just saying “I disagree!” in a theatrical way.

9 Likes

I love the innocence of this guy. Throwing insults at people and directly referring to forum mod/community manager at the same post. Priceless!

1 Like

So it is intended that I need to do all missions again with all careers

1 Like

@Fatshark_Hedge i think you could give us 1 or 2 cosmetics of our choice; think about this like a reward for your players. after a lot of problems and bugs we are still here for give you feedback and have fun with this cool game.
Commendation chest has a RNG % of cosmetics drop, giving us 500 will not calm down the “rage” of some players.
Sorry for my bad english.

This is just my 2 cent :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Fatshark_Hedge How about a system that exponentially increases the chances of getting cosmetics and red items after each “wasted” chest (even by a 0.1 per chest)? You know, the system that people have been asking for since release

1 Like

We could have given a couple hats to veterans, but we couldn’t have let them decide which without creating an entirely new system for that. So we would have given random hats, and my money would be on those hats being the ‘wrong’ ones.

On paper, sure, but in practice not so much. An idea is much easier to come up with than a workable solution. Given the situation you propose had happened, the next complaint would be “I opened 100 Legend Emp Vaults but some players hoarded those and now have better chances of items from those, I want my Legend Emp Vaults compensated because it’s not fair I didn’t hoard like those guys did.”

Simply put, we had to draw a line in the dirt and move past it, which is what we did. It’s a shame for those who didn’t hoard boxes, but it genuinely isn’t the end of the world. There will be more boxes, more hats, skins and frames and all sorts introduced to the game going forward and people may still hoard boxes now and wait for those. We’re not going to add compensation every time we add something to the game for players who were there previously and did not hoard boxes. It’d be crazy.

It’s being discussed, for sure, and something I too (and many here) are very keen on putting in place. Watch this space.

18 Likes

Thank you for answering. I really hope that it gets implemented, it would surely help out greatly with the frustration that me and a LOT of other players are feeling

6 Likes

You just got me all moist <3

1 Like

Maybe the only thing is to propose a full reset (all the items) giving back all the previously earned boxes (if such data is saved somewhere).
I think this would be the most fair way. I was pondering the given reset idea, but having to re-lvl everything… I don’t know if in the next weeks I’ll have enough time for that, and I cannot force my friends to reset their account too.
Lucky enough this isn’t an end of the world problem. And there is always another game.

1 Like

@Fatshark_Hedge
Thanks for taking the time to try to address some questions and concerns, even if people don’t always agree on a workable answer (our way of experiencing/viewing will always be personal, everyone’s a critic and has their opinion) it’s still good to see someone in here give it a whirl.

9 Likes

That would take literally one sql query.

I am not a database pro, but I studied them in university and I worked with them a few times and have friends administrating databases. I know exactly how hard it is.

You’re saying it so, as if that’s some kind of bad thing. Why?! A lot of players left because of lack of loot and unfair randomness. Basically they burnt out. And fair compensation, let me emphasize - fair compensation, could bring them back and change their attitude to you; make them respect you, possibly even love you.

But putting that aside, if you pay attention to the comments, you will see, that no one is complaining about red items compensation, only about cosmetics. There is 2 reasons for that:

1.) People are not dumb. They realize, that there is no way to compensate for reds, because there is no way to know how many chests were obtained by each player. With commendation chests the situation is completely different, and it’s is very easy to calculate the number of chests each player has received during their playtime.

Unless, of course, you keep track of all opened chests, but that’s unknown to public, so we presume you do not.

2.) Players actually care only about 3 things. These things are: green dust, cosmetics and bad luck/duplicate protection, with hats being most important of the three. And if you provide them with those, they will be pretty happy and satisfied, and will praise you indefinitely.

So yes, people don’t care about red items as much as you think. They just want hats, different builds and not to get frustrated by rng - simple as that. This things are not obvious, and realizing them took me dozens of hours, but you’re a community manager, you spend hundreds of hours here and on reddit. Can’t you see that at least statistically?

And if you do not believe me, I made a post with couple of hundred links and over a hundred likes, posted on april 22. And these 3 things have been listed there at that time already, with green dust problem being evaluated as most important one and randomness frustration as second most important. Only mistake I made back then, is underestimated how much people love hats - I think hats availability should be #1 priority. But even then it was clear that hats are very important:

It would be crazy not to do that. Actually, that’s a very common practice.

For example in LoL players got rewarded with tons of dust when rune pages got removed. So much dust, that they could buy, idk, 20 champions or so. But Riots did that, and that didn’t break the game.

In HoTs, when Hots 2.0 went live, players retroactively received chest for every level they acquired before rework. Not a 30% or 50% compensation - a 100% retroactive rewards with hundreds of chests for veteran players.

These are just a couple offhand examples. And Idk how you do not understand that, but that kind of behavior is exactly what players expect from you, because such behavior is common, logical and fair.

And I would love to ask one and one only question, if I may. Do you think it’s okay, that completing your game (getting all items) would take several thousand hours?

7 Likes

You mean VT1? :wink:

1 Like

What are you talking about? I got 30 chests yesterday just for the challenges that I’ve already done in the past. Sure, there are some new things lke “Hit a flying Gutter Runner”, or “Kill a globadier before he throws” but a lot of those can be done in a couple of days or even less.

1 Like