Is this legal as far as modding goes?

I mean the vanilla ironsight blots out less of the screen. Personally I’m far more concerned with stuff like adding flashlights to weapons that don’t even have them (they don’t show for your team either, making it extra cheaty), healthbars etc.

But at the end of the day, most mods give some kind of an advantage no matter how small. None are so extreme and consistent however that I’d consider them a real problem. Sure, this is a matter of opinion but ultimately it’s Fatshark’s word that’s the law here. That flashlight thing would certainly cross that line for me, if it weren’t for the fact that low light missions are super rare and most avoid them anyway.

If Darktide were an esports game, all of those things would be bannable offenses ofc, let’s not have any illusions about that. But it’s not, and they’re not, so it doesn’t matter.

I just wrote the same without first seeing this comment of yours.

Totally agree obviously!

Vanilla feedback is the only feedback that Fs should take onboard.

The only thing that should be illegal in Darktide is the base (unmodded) game forcing players to not only use ironsights, which is already a cardinal sin in gaming as it’s not actually possible to emulate how a human perceives lining up ironsights in real life in a video game outside VR, but to use some of the worst ironsights ever devised.

A universal crosshair should be an option in the base game, and dare I say, every shooter game, at least while hard aiming. I used to kind of dislike ironsights in games, but I’ve become more and more radical on this position over the years. Get your crappy fake ass ironsights out of games. They’re barely used in real life anymore, I certainly don’t want them in a fantasy setting.

Spidey senses gives you audio queue tracking in a visual way. Its helpful since the audio is often bugged. I have mine turned off since audio works mostly well enough.

The revolver’s projectiles are the size of redwoods, if you can’t hit with the irons a red dot won’t save you.

@MatrixLike did a great debunk above with which i agree alot.

on the weapon customization? honestly, some irons are awful to use and scopes are not much of a help because of their tunnel vision (try to make some advantage on scoping an enemy from far away in claustrophobic corridors and hordes of melee enemies approaching you, and, as cherry on top, in a melee based game), some people dont want spend money on skins or want to overcustomize them and i understand why

Its fine, it won’t make you an unstoppable player or guaranteed to have an advantage/ensure a successful mission. Broadly, it makes aiming a bit more intuitive and you can be just as able with iron sights.*

The two big wins of this mod to me are:

  1. Putting lights on your guns, so you can use whichever you want in missions with such modifiers and allows Ogryns to actually be able to see with a ranged weapon in the dark.
  2. Personalising weapons to your Operatives.

No 2 is not so important to - I would guess - a good many people, but to me customisation is important; I like to have my own stamp on something, as it were. Being able to turn my otherwise very non-Imperial Guard power sword into a quasi-military sabre is a big morale boost for me and prompts me to play my Veteran with the Power Sword more. Sure, only I can see it, but it is important to me.**

*Sticking this as a footnote as it is an individual example, but the reflex sights actually work against me at times. I’m red-green colourblind, so red/orange/yellow heavy areas can be difficult to differentiate between things and when the sight is red/yellow it gets a bit trickier.

**Look at it! Look. At. It! By the God-Emperor, ignoring that spare pommel on the grip (covered by the hand when in use) it is so beautiful.

Summary

Yes

Adding 2x/4x scopes mod is a disadvantage.

  • It reduces cone of vision of awareness left and right whilst ADS more than iron sight, as being “zoomed” in causes tunnel vision effectively.

  • In close combat firing, being 2x/4x ADS zoomed in makes it harder in horizontal sweep from target to target quickly when 1x sight is more effective in close combat firing or alternatively hip fire with increase spread. Unless someone creates a mod to allow additional canted sights :smiley:

  • “Aim small, miss small” - If you get used to pixel accurate aiming with less room for error, you improve more. Get used to aiming at targets this size “o” rather than “O” size.

You don’t need crosshair mod, monitor OSD crosshair, external crosshair apps etc

It is already in the game all you need.

Open game menu → Interface. They added it.

Here is the funny thing. During ADS all the weapons take up a lot of screen space just below iron sight, reducing awareness before aiming down if you are at high position relative to enemies.

Yet somehow the Plasma gun requires no ADS to hit exactly where you want it - How are they aiming from the hip so accurately. Even better the plasma gun visually sits to the bottom-right side of screen so your vertical vision is not impaired up or down.

It’s obviously better, but the bullets don’t go where you aim in this game, and those sights still have huge visual clarity issues.

Look at when he ADS how distorted the sight is, and how obnoxious the ‘dot’ is.

The only reason I used this, when I was able to play the game without lag, was so that I didn’t have a car driving across my screen every time I shot.

I think the scope thing is a pretty silly limiting factor to begin with, if someone wants to aim through something better than the crappy ironsights on the normal guns that just makes sense to me. Healthbars are a way more genuine information advantage but even then it just doesn’t seem like that big a deal, players will still die if they can’t handle the heat.

For me as long as it looks more Lore Accurate for the Scopes and weapon mods I like it. Some just look out of place on some of the weapons where it looks like its from Call Of Duty not WH40K

See Spectris Pattern Bolt Pistol with Scope and High-Capacity Drum Magazine and the Stalker Bolter as an example

On a side note, I love the Gothic arch shaped scope/sights on lasguns, would love it to be available in mods for guns as well as if ever added into actual game

No accusal. Just a query.

I use spidey sense (with extreme customized limitations to account for partial deafness.)

I lament that it gives me a general direction of what ive selected to show warnings for: 40m: , mutants 12m: bursters, trappers, dogs 4m: backstab.

Then again i suppose i should change audio to mono instead of stereo… I’ll try that and see how it works.

I am quite familliar with disability access as i have used their services and Hav worked for them. I am a strong believer in reasonable accomodation for equitable gameplay provided all vanilla options are attempted. (Messing with fov, audio, etc etc.) Some people dont work well with numbers (peril guage) and are visual learners a bar should be a reasonable accomodation.

In the video i provided, it seemed like the user had the mods playing most of the game for him. Seeing healthbars of all elites and specialists in your fov… no wonder i just can’t compete at times, that explains why some people have an inherit sixth sense about where all the enemies are in a horde without tagging them… ruins the fun for everyone else.

Does anyone know a way to have scoreboard show only your score? I don’t like scoreboards because it adds an edge of competition that I’m not here for, i just want to see my performance, not everyone elses.

As for better stimms color coding isnt an issue if you memorized the symbols. Though it shouldnt be revealing them so far away.

You know what, I didn’t even know I wanted this myself but I would install it if it were an option. I’m better off without that mild edge coming into my mind.

This is an exaggeration though, those players don’t necessarily need healthbars to see specials and elites in dense situations, that’s just a matter of experience.

I would say the only advantage others have over you is the fact they have the sense to install mods and you don’t. Enough of the BS “I shouldn’t need to install mods - I don’t want to install mods” if you don’t want to install mods then enjoy a sub-par experience. That is completely YOUR choice. Mods are available for EVERYONE - the ability to change attachments on your weapons is IN THE CODE. They chose to completely side-step this changing attachments thing because someone decided to make up the excuse its similar to call of duty.

I’ve hardly ever heard such concentrated nonsense in my life. Cheat engine uses the game code to let you cheat on client side values. Let’s all use cheat engine and similar tools because we can. Absolutely KEKW

The far i go in my knowledge as psyker works - the more i get hate for the mods that improve gameplay. Like this one. It turns assail into god weapon and laspistols into super meta weapon.

today i play with one psyker (gunpsyker) that use some kind of macros that turn regular recon lasgun into melt machine (i play with all recon lasguns and cant fire THAT fast).

Spidey Sense is by far the worst offender, worse than Healthbars. It wouldn’t surprise me if 99.44% of the users use it to cheeze, and not out of legitimate need.

Scary how many “wow look at my clutch video!11!” use one or both.

If you’re suspecting the Full Auto mod there, nothing in the FullAuto mod should be impacting anything about Recon Lasguns, they’re already full auto, in my own experience with this mod, it has 0 impact on the weapon. Are you sure you didn’t just see a VIb for the first time in many moons? They all did just get their mag capacities expanded, making them far more viable, and the VIb has a base RoF of 20 shots per second.

As for the other weapons, the FullAuto mod won’t fire faster than the weapon is normally capable of, it just saves your finger the strain of clicking super fast. Nothing about the FullAuto mod should be doing anything with Assail that you couldn’t do otherwise.

…What the hell is wrong with having health bars for enemies? It clutters up the screen more than anything, but a health bar is JUST a health bar…