Zealot Feels Quite Anaemic Compared to CBT, in Part Due to Engaging AI in Melee, and In Part Due to Career Skill Changes

50%? man, this doesn’t even cover a lasbot worth of damage…
They need to bump this career’s toughness to 150 at the bare minimum

1 Like

This is it, this is such a bad oversight I dont even know where to start. The primary use of the ability to charge into melee range breaking through the firing line, and you can just start up be shot out of it, canceling it, then get shot to death since you are now caught out. This needs fixing

The low toughness is to promote smart positioning. You need to avoid gunfire as much as humanly possible. Very much doable now that enemies are consistently entering into melee properly.

I’ve found zealot to be absurdly survivable due to its talents. Well into Heresy and Damnation.

As Zealots you surely know by now that they gave us godmode in place of dodge. (I play Veteran)

Solves a number of problems on paper: Zealot, weapon and stat flexibility, dodge spam

We’ll see if it’s the right solution. Less exciting though

I’d like to point out that dodge spam in this game is actually detrimental, as currently, dodging prevents stamina regen. You have to specifically not dodge spam if you want to be the most effective at the moment

I completely agree, but it currently matches the description, so calling that a “fix” is a stretch. Indeed Zealot does need more base toughness to have any kind of real resilience.

It still can hit, but it doesn’t look like it’s working as well as base implies that it does.

Nonsense, I got the no melee damage taken Vet achievement by accident. Maybe they raised eyebrows at that claim

Furthermore, CBT Catachan IV sword felt amazing, like a swordsman, mobile, athletic, and precise. All gone now

I meleed all this time without blocking and almost no pushing, since pushing was useless in CBT

But this is moot point. In place of dodge, they now gave us:

GODMODE

Can’t smart position when they shoot you when you are litteraly within arms reach.
Impossibru.
They can also shoot your head behind cover and you can hardly peak from behind a stair without getting insta shot.
A bit more lenience in the targeting delay would be appreciated.

this isnt something that can be argued because it literally does prevent stamina regen. If you spam dodge you will no longer be able to push or block, a massive detriment like I said, especially on higher difficulties where this is most apparent

1 Like

This too.
Horde control for many weapons with low reach is based on push+dodge…

Honestly I just want my class to synergize with my ability. So far zealot’s skills are just damage damage damage. Why not balance weapons accordingly and give some survivability options? I look at the passives other classes get, and in comparison, zealot only has one defensive one. And that passive is useless unless you take a level 20 feat to heal after it pops. Chip damage is destroying the low hp zealot identity.

1 Like

after the most recent fix, which has thrown Zealot’s balance into a bit of a mess, I honestly feel that Holy Revenant should be made innate to the class. It would open up a lot more diversity and fix a lot of issues.

Being able to survive on 1-2hp isn’t as useful in DT as it was in VT2, because in VT2 you worked with THP. Toughness is not THP.

3 Likes

Pretty much this. I don’t want to be invulnerable, that’s not the point. I want to be able to manage my toughness while swinging big weapons. Right now it feels like I have to use cleaving weapons if a psyker is in the party, because they kill the big thing before I get to it. Or at the very least a penetrating weapon. I took a look at Ogryn, and they have multiple ways to get in and function as a melee class, while Zealot goes in and receives chip damage until their invicibility pops.

Honestly wouldn’t mind something like lifesteal that counteracts the chip damage or something, but having to give up 100% toughness at all times. Also I’d prefer my ability not to be half damage, half survivability. I’d prefer it to do one or the other. The ogryn getting attack speed at the end of the charge is more useful than the zealot getting one crit and 25% damage. One does DPS, the other is burst. And right now, psyker is better at burst.

Since I still haven’t heard any dev response to zealot complaints, just gonna put how it feels to play zealot right now.

My signature weapons I don’t want to use. Flamer takes too long to switch to from melee, and as a melee class I don’t want to switch to my ranged often. Thunder Hammer takes longer to hit anything, and by the time I charge it up, whatever I was going for is dead by a psyker or veteran. The only thing the thunder hammer is good for is monstrosities, because they take at least 15 seconds to kill vs 3 seconds.

Zealot is outclassed in every way. Which is probably why most randoms rush ahead, just so they don’t feel useless. Making a class centered around damage and they are outperformed makes you sit there twiddling your thumbs while you go down for the 15th time that mission because your class wants you to go into melee and the game punishes you for it.

Horde clear? Veteran gets power sword, psyker gets force magic, and ogryn gets wider arcs for being bigger. Zealot gets a normal ass sword, and chainswords that are outclassed in speed because, yet again, zealot is only damage and not DPS.

Specials? Ranged specials are picked off with ease using brain blast or recon guns with their ability active veterans. And if you a zealot charge to go get the ranged specials, you become surrounded and quickly taught how much of a bad idea that is. Even with keeping my toughness above 0, I am punished for using my gap closing ability, because unlike the ogryn, I do not crowd control the enemies I just went to. I get a single crit and a damage bonus that didn’t matter because weapons have enough damage already.

Even with the current bleed crit take no toughness damage build, I still die often because chip damage is a thing and it makes my 5 second invuln useless on a 90 second cooldown. Meanwhile ogryns get DR to health and toughness damage, which is infinitely more useful for “tanking.”

Zealot is the squishiest class just above psyker, which also makes no sense. Why is veteran, a ranged class, more tough than a zealot? Shouldn’t zealot have 200 toughness and hp to compensate for you know, going into melee? I know they’re not an ogryn, but so is the veteran.

Stacking damage options on the zealot and rewarding them for “low hp” is literally worse than the other options in the same talent tree. The game punishes you for being low HP, if you get pinned by a special, your toughness is now gone and since you were low HP you are immediately downed even with invuln unless you are right next to your team. Which because you just used your charge to close the distance to get a special, you are now alone, and your team can 't get to you unless you have an ogryn.

Zealot doesn’t work without temp HP from VT2. Especially with chip damage. Buffing crit talents does not help this class, you only force people into janky builds that people didn’t go zealot for to begin with. I saw a thunder hammer for this class, and I wanted to play it for that weapon. I am not using that weapon, and I am not using the flamer. I am using a dagger with bleed on it and an autogun because it is faster to switch to. I do not feel like a zealot. I feel like a veteran with no ranged damage bonuses.

I’ve been playing zealot for almost 70 hours now and I DON’T AGREE with any point in this post.

I’ve played it for 120 hours, almost exclusively on heresy and damnation, and I agree with the points I made still!

Or, I would, if some of the issues hadn’t been fixed.

So, the funny part is you’re disagreeing with a point I made that FS actually did fix.

ahh sorry, my post is a reply to kersakofu’s post up under me. I didn’t click good replay

I still love playing Zealot, its a very useful class imo and his ult is lots of fun to use. BUT I am really not happy with the changes.
Reducing the charge distance on his ult sucks. Being stunned out of your charge by attacks sucks even more. Why does he only have 100 toughness and the range class Veteran gets 200 ? Doesnt make any sense whatsoever… My suggestion would be 150 toughness at least and reduce his life to 150 to balance it out.

The enemy swapping from range to melee takes too long or doesnt work properly! It needs to work properly tho otherwise the zealot class is not useless, but his ult is kinda useless.

Whats the story with martyrdom? Is it not supposed to be + 5% damage per 15 health lost? Currently it says +5 damage, which is a joke, considering the health amount enemies have. even with full stacks that would mean, + 15 damage, which is a joke… and then they also nerfed his trait Until Death…

I admit in the closed beta the Zealot with the right perks was a bit op. But as it is now, its not right.

Please fatshark, I am begging you to increase his toughness, make enemy gunners swap to melee faster, no interuption during ult and increase the range of his ult again. And can we get clarification on his Martyrdom? I am pretty sure in the closed beta it said +5 % and not just + 5.

1 Like

At the moment, it feels like t he only way for zealot to survive, is to abuse the 75% reduced damage buff to tank any incoming fire.
At least in Damnation it does.