Witch Hunter needs a buff

After upcoming patch: 10% damage should be more useful, more headshot damage and insta-kill will certainly be more useful, indefinite light attack block (which is already decent) will be more useful. If all his 15 talents work, he’s in a decent spot, but Merc is also going to reap from the changes.

What he probably still needs to be on par with Merc or FK is just a tad bit more team utility. Tagging applying to teammates damage for example, 15 talent that grants a teambuff even if it’s not on par with 10% attack speed like Merc, or Justice’s Bounty upped to 3 hp per taggable.

Just a thought on a 15 teambuffs: when taggable enemy dies, 1: team receives 10% power against same race/armor class for 4-6 seconds, 2: Justice’s Bounty grants 2 temp hp still but 50% more temp hp per tick for next 6 seconds, 3: when taggable dies team receives 5% ability charge (cdr).

I play WHC on Legend and I use the rapier and BoP so here are my notes.

The rapier is not restricted to the WHC,a BH or Zealot can use it. Also it is very bad against Chaos Warriors and enemies with shields, on Legend you are better off playing with a falchion. The rapier is better vs skaven hordes, and stormvermin, that’s all. The BoP’s are alright, the only problem is limited ammo, it’s enough for specials or shitty situations where you need a lot of burst, but on bosses you’ll always run out, even with scrounger and full crit build.

The Best way to buff him would be indirectly through the rapier imo, by doing those things.

*They should restrict the rapier to the WHC (it doesn’t make any sense that a BH or a Zealot would use a rapier) *

*It should retain it’s power vs unarmored targets.

• Slightly buff it’s charged attack to be able to deal with armored enemies easier, right now the falchion has more dmg on hit, much more stagger, and armor penetration on every hit (even light attacks).

*Buff the rapier pistol by making it do the same amount of damage as the BoP and adding 16 ammo (like in VT1) instead of unlimited which doesn’t even make sense, that means removing the ridiculous damage drop off which makes it useless, and by adding ammo people won’t spam it like in the beta.

*Increase the talent that gives more ammo from 30% to 40%

So that’s it basically, it makes sense that the WHC is the rapier master, it should be restricted to him, and that weapon should be the only reason to play him basically (his talents are simply not that interesting so maybe the interesting thing about him should be the weapon, like huntsman kruber with the longbow). By buffing it a bit, fixing the rapier pistol, and fixing the broken talents, I think people will play him more just because of how iconic the class is.

PS: I’ve played a lot of Legend using all of Saltzpyre’s classes (mostly the WHC), that’s why I really want him to at least be on par with his other 2 subclasses, they are all viable, I’ve done every map on Legend using him(Except Halescourge and Skittergate because you need a lot of ranged dmg for those 2), but BH just outshines him in every way, and the Zealot is very very tanky while still having more dmg. Why I play him? he looks badass.

1 Like

Unlimited rapier ammo is fun. If anything it should be buffed

It does high damage in shotgun range btw

The rapier is actually better on the bounty hunter, while the falchion is better on the witch hunter. The zealot can’t really tank, besides some gimmicky solo protection. The conditions that made it great in beta no longer obtain. Its dps buffs, which, as we know, are actually not working at the moment, do not compare with the merc’s

Yeah I’ve played WH Captain on Legend too, and he’s just so sub par there.

You seriously need that CD on Animosity down to about 1 minute.

And BoP to have more ammo. Rapier tails off so badly there that because of all of the armor shields you do need to use the Falchion. And BoP either needs more ammo to substitute in when you face Storm Shield Vermin, or the Rapier Alt-Fire needs the nerf removed at least with regards to the WH Captain.

Giving the rapier pistol ammo would actually be a buff not a nerf, 16 ammo is enough to deal with some specials, without the damage drop off ofcourse which is what makes it bad, and switching it between your ranged weapon every now and then will make you not run out of ammo, and if you do you will just pick some up (like you did before). It would basically be extra 16 ammo for your BoP, without buffing the BoP, as I said buffing the WHC through the rapier by making it better and restricting it to him.

I also know that the rapier pistol works like a shotgun, but a charged rapier attack makes a lot more damage than that if you headshot, the animation of the pistol attack is slower and clunkier even if you use animation canceling, all in all using a charged attack with the rapier is better. If you’re skilled enough and land a headshot you’ll do more damage, do it faster, and won’t leave yourself open to an attack after attacking yourself.

Finally, every weapon is better on the BH, simply because the WHC doesn’t have anything that makes him do more damage, while the BH does (5% attack speed, 25% crit hit boost). I guess you could say the only thing is the extra headshot damage(Deathknell talent) which is not that useful as people might think(Stormvermin still die with 2 headshots whether you have or don’t have the talent), and also the mark that makes the enemies take more damage, which I’m not even sure it works. Overall the BH outclasses the WHC in melee and ranged combat both.

Finaly I realized whats issue of WHC in legend.

• Issue is its EXTREMLY prone to friendly fire,

Why is prone? Because melee WHC playstyle forces you to dance around enemies, and dodge alot, u cant allow enemies to hit you at all. but while dodging enemies its hard to dodge friendly fire, specialy if your mates are not carefull. Even if you are careful, and if they are careful you will still get FF from time to time.

Why FF impacts WHC so much?: because WHC got only 100HP, all other melee classes in game got 125 or 150.
Low health pool makes friendly fire devastating on WHC.
Here is example: if you took single Elf arrow, you will lose 20% HP, if Elf saves you from grab with ulty, you will lose 50% hp, same goes for mage, or somene is inaccurate with gun. Anti grab talent do not reduce friendly fire during grab, only grab damage by half.

What you think guys?
Paying 20% of HP for single arrow as PL 600 is way much right?
Paying 50% hp when people not relalase you carefuly from grab is to much too? (u cant command them how they gonna relase you)

I really trying my best to avoid friendly fire, positioning, never run through friendly, protecting ranged back etc…but still FF happen, and when this happen its more damaging than enemies. Even if you are best frendly fire avoider in the world 50% is on you, 50% is on mates. FF damage feels to harsh on our poor 100 HP.

That’s a very big issues yes but far from being the top and only one.

What trait and properties are you using on BoP? I’ve been struggling to make it useful on BH even by quasi-solving the ammo problem by having the 2 shots on crit / free blessed shot crit combo which kind of lets you regain 4 ammo thanks to penetration at the price of 0.

Well after 1.05 now…

With all the weapons being weakened to some extent, Saltzpyre’s deathknell talent is now paying off. There is no dropoff on Saltzpyre on Champion. I’ve mostly been testing the weapons and not looking at the skills but will be looking at it in time. Honestly the patch was a boon for WH Captain. the headshot skills and talents now are doing what they were supposed to. Mostly I suspect due to the fact that prior the mobs were so weak in comparison to the weapons the WH Captain was overkilling them, and everyone else’s weapons were able to one shot them anyway so all those talents went to waste. I still think the level 15 Talents will need some work, as they’re so short and give so little actual boost they play little to no part. But at least now the Deathknell and Headshot Crit kills are coming into play.

Though playing a few matches on Legend… the Animosity skill STILL needs the CD reduced to around 1 minute as 3 minutes is just not justifiable especially with the constant mob spam and it not even being ready before the first horde hits. That hasn’t changed, nor has the issue with the Brace of Pistols.

EDIT: Also Tekut…

You are right, the WHC should have the 125 health. Even his avatar is wearing a Chain Shirt under the coat, so he is at least armored to some extent and this isn’t reflected anywhere.

2 Likes

5% crit chance, 10% power vs monsters, scrounger. But I use the BoP on WHC, when I play BH (which is exclusively on Halescourge, Skittergate, and some deeds all on Legend) I use the repeater pistol.

The BoP are great for special killing and shitty situations where you really need some firepower fast, without reloading, the problem usually comes on bosses. You’ll need animosity with more duration upgrade, drink a potion (speed or str) pop animosity, and start firing with your pistols, for the duration of the ability you’ll probably not run out of ammo, but after you do, good luck.

I just use them because I like them (same as the first game), along with the WHC.

Due low health pool its hard to be confident as WHC, just look why.

-on 100HP evything feels very damaging, even single rat is a threat, if you are not careful
-frendly fire is devastating
-Left overs are your worst enemies, for example: someone toss rats and one of them ends behind you, paesant rat will solo you down alone in a seconds if you not notice him in time.
-On 100hp you are very prone for lagg hits (anyone get lagg hits sometimes, but belive me they feel much less on 125 or 150, when lagg hit happen on 100HP you pay the 40% hp price at least)

Dont get me wrong i still think WHC is powerfull class, but so many random stuff is a treat on 100 HP, the stuff which is hard to control for you, and have nothing with you actualy.

After going +60% stamina regen and push angle, and the stamina talent, he can at least tank hordes, and is pretty fun. His passive talents works properly on percentage of normal base health, so as zealot players know, he will get buffs with grimoires

The only ones that matter are the ones that work. Build him as pure tank; because of the moaning about temp health in beta, right now you have to be tank like to carry as melee

You can charge headshot immediately after the pistol shot. The pistol shot can be a headshot. It works both ways.

The pistol will also begin from longer range. And, because of the immediate followup melee attack, you can also block cancel

Finally, every weapon is better on the BH, simply because the WHC doesn’t have anything that makes him do more damage, while the BH does (5% attack speed, 25% crit hit boost). I guess you could say the only thing is the extra headshot damage(Deathknell talent) which is not that useful as people might think(Stormvermin still die with 2 headshots whether you have or don’t have the talent), and also the mark that makes the enemies take more damage, which I’m not even sure it works. Overall the BH outclasses the WHC in melee and ranged combat both.

This is incorrect, since the beta nerf to temp health, melee characters have to be tanklike to carry. Now, we can build the BH like a tank through gear, but the WHC has something BH doesn’t

Furthermore, the headshot damage matters; if SV can be two shot, now they can be one shot, which I have enjoyed more than a few times. There is also the testing done against chaos warriors up in the thread

It is not enough to work with the numbers you have. They are not all the numbers that matter

Well… I guess if you want to make the pistol work you can make it work. It’s not unusable but you’re not gonna gain anything from using it, you won’t lose anything either. It just shouldn’t work this way, it’s a ranged weapon and it should be made to represent that. Infinite ammo doesn’t make sense either.

I’ve used the pistol the way you describe, on bosses you can also shoot/ slash/shoot slash to animation cancel and if you’re close to the boss it’ll do some damage, but again, it shouldn’t be that way. It needs to be a ranged weapon, not a shotgun with infinite ammo. That’s just my opinion.

Now to the interesting part. The only way I can see a WHC working more as a tank is with the infinite block(?). BH and WHC both have the same amount of health, and the only item that makes you tankier is the necklace where you can put 20% max health and +2 stamina. Thererefore I don’t see how the WHC is a better tank, even the small enemies make heavy attacks which drain your stamina and that’s when you’ll usually run out. I understand that infinite block on light attacks looks good on paper, but honestly in practical situations it has never helped me once, dodging is always better than blocking, and when you revive you can position yourself in a spot where the mobs won’t hit you (they will attack only the person that is downed instead of both of you).

Speaking of tanks the zealot is the better choice for sure, and he actually deals more damage than the WHC too, both in melee and in range.

Last but not least, the only way you can oneshot a stormvermin is with a crit headshot on the WHC, and that is because of your passive trait while I was referring to the usefulness of Deathknell talent. Sure the crit headshot ko is useful, probably the only useful thing the captain has along with the 20% more damage to marked enemies, but it’s still unreliable, anyway that wasn’t my point. My point was how good the WHC talents are, and they just are not, most of them should have been baseline, because compared to the talents of the the BH and the Zealot they leave a lot to be desired.

1 Like