Why the change from Space Marines (from Space Hulk) to "regular" heroes?

I dont know much about the 40k lore, so I might be wrong about this one. But, for what I can see, in Space Hulk: Deathwing we played as Space Marines (Astartes if im not wrong) with psychic abilities and in Vermintide we also play as powerful heroes that can take down Daemons and Chaos creatures. Are this new heroes as much as powerful? Or maybe the tech makes up for it? Im just wondering. Like I said, Im dont know much about 40k but Im really looking forward to this game.

ps: Exclusive cosmetic for the ones that have been supporting this games since vt1? Long shot but I have to try lol

1 Like

Because astartes have been overused. Seriously, the market is oversaturated with space marines.
The team you play in Deathwing is comprised of space marines wearing terminator armour; the strongest armour available to astartes.

All the powerful tech is certainly not limited to only the astartes however, as other arms of the Imperium like the Officio Assassinorum (Assassins of the Imperium) are equipped with weapons arguably more dangerous than even the astartes, such as a culexus’ psyk-out grenades (nullifies warp energy), callidus’ c’tan phase sword (Can pass through anything by phasing through it), eversor’s neuro gauntlet (injects a truly terrifying venom that kills its victim within seconds) and the vindicare’s special rounds that can even pass through a warship’s shield and exit through the other end of the ship.

22 Likes

Well the change is something most W40k fan were quite happy with,
Most people are quite fed up with Space marine (In particular the Ultramarine like in the Space Marine Game)

powerful heroes

It is true that the Ubersreik 5 are of the Hero level (for the Table top) but they are not the hero level for the Lore (That would be someone like Gotrek or a powerful wizard) and they are still faceless character like a thousand exist in the Empire/Athel Loren/Karak Azul

In the 40k lore the Space Marine are the same level of threat than a Chaos Warrior (Big armoured dude with the axe) are in fantasy (Powerful like a tank and everything but a regular human still can kill it)

In the powerful Character that are not Astartes that were not that much explored in game are:
Assassin Cult (One of the Chaos Primarch was killed by one and a lot of Chaos Warband were decimated by other), Arch Militant, Inquisitor, Sister of Battle and a lot of other sub-faction.

One of the Character may be an Ogryn who are known for their strength (Stronger than a SM)

8 Likes

Space Marines can have diversity of weapons but not so much skills. Also, another Death Hulk might be boring and if we were Deathwatch they’d have to balance and work on multiple alien races or else it’d get boring. I think the best setting for a space marine game is a heavily story focused FPS where the developers can really nail the meaty feel of being an Astartes without worrying too much about balancing.

5 Likes

Because acolytes allow for much more freedom. 40k is a very strict setting where people have strict defines roles.
Acolytes do not fit this however.

Also in 40k plenty of times there have been humans duking it out with powerful enemies check out Caphias Cain for reference.

8 Likes

Yes, the Space Marines are overused but, they are like Coca Cola: Eternal, unsurpassed and you can’t get enough of it! (yes, I know that there’s a lot of people who don’t drink/like coca cola, but you get my point).
I easily get bored with reading WH40K novels about Space Marines, those are pretty much boring and repetitive after you read 10 books. But I can never get enough videos, pictures, artwork and good games about Space Marines (and by good, I only count a couple of them).
Realistically, we only had just a couple of good games with Space Marines: IMO, Dawn of War (1st and 2nd installment) and Space Marine 2011. Everything else is mediocre or just plain trash. Again, this is just my personal opinion, not a general one.

Space Marines are truly a force of nature, but so are our U5 heroes. Everything can be compensated with a large number of weaker enemies or just some truly elite adversaries.

I understand that I’m in the minority here, but my main reason for not being interested/not planning to buy this game is simply the lack of Space Marines.

4 Likes

I’m sick and tired of Space Marines. Yes, they’re cool and yes, they’re popular.
But this universe is called “Warhammer 40K”, not “Space Marines”.

12 Likes

Not sure about playable characters yet may get a space marine however… Space Hulk was terminator class which are ridiculously powerful / bulky if they were to go space marine route prefer comparison to Space Marine game much better game play there than Space Hulk.

I agree. Variety is the spice of life.

9 Likes

Character freedom is my guess. This is pretty clear evidence that Fatshark is keeping the different character formula from Vermintide instead of 100% customizable heroes, as Space Marines basically are clones (not allowing for different characteristics). I’m all for it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Generally the biggest problem I have with Warhammer games is that they always seem to focus on the exact same few character types, and 40k is even worse, where nearly everything is about Spess Marines. I honestly don’t care for them, and I’m happy that we’ll be able to play as (relatively) normal humans. I’d pass on the game if it was just more Space Marines.

7 Likes

I have a simple question and don’t want start a new thread for it; so exscuse me for doing this. But are the regular warhammer, and warhammer 40k the same universe; just distant future?? Like are the skaven in 40k??

WHF and WH: 40K are not in the same universe.
40K is in our world, 40 thousand years from now on, while WHF is set in its own fantasy universe.

Okay, thank you

To add to the above - the older lore hinted at the WH fantasy world being a world within the existing / 40K universe - but that has since been retconned out.

However, both universes contain the warp and the same assemblages of chaos gods and daemons - so there is a connection in some way :wink:

2 Likes

In the End Times, the Skaven accidentally found and activated a communication device of the Old Ones and saw beings that were described as looking like Elves or Eldar on the other end. Being Skaven, they freaked out and destroyed the device because Elves are scary to them.

There’s also a strange friendly being some Fantasy characters met in Nurgle’s realm in one book series who is implied to be a specific 40k character. So . . . not technically the same worlds, but it seems to me almost like alternate realities who sometimes touch. Probably connected to each other via the Warp.

1 Like

Well the world went from:
Warhammer 40 and Fantasy
Same Materium, Same Immaterium/Warp
Different Materium, Same Immaterium/Warp
Different Materium, Different Immaterium/Warp
Warhammer Fantasy and AoS
Same Warp but different Materium (Technically not really the same as a Materium, named Mortal Realm)
Warhammer Fantasy and "The Old World"
They are the same, The Old World is a return to the Fantasy universe, but this time they are going to re work the time line more (Giving a better linéarity) and flesh out side faction more (The first announced was Kislev, there are rumour that the Pirate Coast could be next)

As you can see the Fantasy universe was central to Warhammer

Only the Librarian is psychic, otherwise they are deathwing terminators. The biggest issue with Astartes orders is that they are boring, and over done, also to be lore accurate, they are absurdly powerful by comparisons. A kill team of 5 Space Marines could probably casually stroll through a lower hive city filled with pox walkers like it was an average Tuesday.

2 Likes

certainly doesnt feel like it though

Astartes Boring, what are you Guys on…
Have you even read Books?
Read Horus Heresy and tell me again Astartes are Boring XD hahaha

I love my Dark Angles and some other Chapters, but im really happy that we play as
“The Hammer of the Emperor” for a change for sure.
Since i love the whole Universe and they f****d up Alien IP (Colonial Marines) so peopz are afraid of making a new one…
Im totally down with IMPS and Inquisiton and hopefully Mechanicum!
That is the nearsest thing of playing like a Colonial Marines, Adrenalin Pumping, everything Dark and so on, low Ammo Count(hopefully not here) and Hordes of Enemies ^^
But i hope we can customize a our classes and there is no need for tons of “Subcareers”. Just make your Kasrkin more Melee Heavy or Ranged Focus or whatever. Pick your Class and Specialize him in whatever you want and or is in the Rules of FLuff and so on
Would have been neat to be a Grey Knight, but im totally fine with what we get so far. But my fingers are crossed for
Mechanicum Skitarii/ Tech Priest at Launch and Assassins as DLC Careers

But yeah, doesnt mean that Marines are boring and have no Diversity… hahha Jeez
They have exaclty the same everything as others, just better and on Steroids as the others!

5 Likes