A major problem I have with the game and its developers is the unwillingness (or lack of capability) of improving what the game already has. I think many people agree that various things like the crafting system, deeds, the Beastmen faction, certain weapons, career balance and so on are bad and/or need tweaking and overhauling. I think that Fatshark should focus on improving what the game already has and make a higher quality game, than bloat the game with half-finished additions. They should also make sure to keep the game focused on what it’s about - the U5 and their adventures throughout Reikland during the End Times, fighting the Skaven and their Chaos allies. Which is why I am against the idea of pushing the developers to keep adding new factions, new heroes, new careers, new weapons and so on.
We’ve all probably seen the many threads in the Steam forums and these ones, talking about the potential of adding a new enemy faction to fight, such as Greenskins or the Undead, and I just don’t think that it’s particularly worthwhile. Of course, it’s fun to discuss and talk about it, but from a realistic perspective it won’t (or shouldn’t) happen.
Sure, they could certainly do it, you can easily make up a roster for this game from each of those factions, but there are several issues with that:
- What would be the point of adding a new enemy faction? The enemies would have to be unique, with different stats, attributes and abilities, challenging you in different ways. It would have to be made differently from something like the Skaven or Chaos, otherwise it would just be a glorified reskin.
- If designed poorly, the faction could negatively impact the game (as seen with the Beastmen).
- From a lore perspective, none of those potential faction additions that I mentioned would work. The Greenskins and the Undead fought against Chaos, and couldn’t be found working together with them, they would have to be separate missions with separate story arcs.
The game is called Vermintide, instead of adding new factions, Fatshark shouldn’t forget what the game is about. The 3 factions that we currently have in V2 are perfectly sufficient for enemy variety in my opinion, and they should instead work on finishing and fleshing out the current factions that we have. The Beastmen are especially underdeveloped, there are a plethora of new units they could add, numerous tweaks they could and should do, meanwhile Skaven could easily get a plague monk censor bearer unit added to the game as a rare elite enemy, if more enemy variety is desired.
Like with new enemy factions, new heroes and careers are also something many people have asked for. There are definitely a lot of characters that could potentially be added, such as a Kislevite, a Brettonian, or even a High Elf.
Fatshark has already guaranteed a new career by the end of this year, so there’s no point in arguing against it, but new heroes are also ‘problematic’ in my eyes:
- The amount of work that would have to be done would be huge. Assuming the developers wanted the new character to be up to snuff, it would have to feature 3 new careers, with unique mechanics, talents, abilities and weapons. Literally thousands of voice lines would have to be recorded, not just for the character and his comments about every single currently existing map, every future map, about all the other heroes, but they would also have to be interjected into the banter between the U5, and many voice lines would have to be recorded for them too.
- A story arc would have to be created in order to incorporate any potential new character into the squad. Otherwise it would be extremely weird having everyone act as if that character has always existed, or worse yet, continue to act as if they don’t.
- No doubt there would be numerous issues with the new character at launch. Talents not working, abilities not working, the new characters being under/overpowered, the new weapons being new and so on.
I just don’t think it would be worth all that effort. At the end of the day, the game would only get 3 new careers at best, who probably wouldn’t be all that drastically different to what we use right now. The game would still be the same, it would still be played the same way, we would still be fighting the same enemies, just in a slightly different way. It wouldn’t really increase the quality of the game, we would just get another addition to the game. I also think that Fatshark shouldn’t extend too much beyond the scope of the game, and therefore I think that the U5 should remain the primary protagonists of the Vermintide series. Of course, I may just be undervaluing their potential, and it would certainly be a big update to the game, but as I mentioned, there are issues that could happen and I just don’t think it would worth the effort and wouldn’t exactly fit the scope of the game.
Instead, I think the developers should work on what we already have. And what we have, are 15 careers, and while overall career balance is pretty solid, there are outliers that need to be looked into. But primarily, it’s the talent trees that need some tweaking, cause I swear there’s a talent that no one ever picks at every single row of every single career. Mercenary always takes Walk it Off, BH always takes Double Shotted, Handmaiden always takes the invisibility, WHC never takes the tiny 5% extra damage buff on tagged enemies, and never takes the talent to tag all enemies with his ult. Why would you ever take the 10% movement speed with RV over the 30% damage reduction or reload speed? Is that 10% movement speed actually really meta and I’m just missing out?
Often, it only just looks like there’s an illusion of choice, when in reality there’s only one (sometimes 2) talents that are any good, and if you’re using a specific set of weapons, there’s only one real choice of talents to pick.
Again, I think Fatshark should work and improve on what we already have, instead of adding new heroes that would take a ton of effort and ultimately wouldn’t really shake the game up all that much.
In regards to new weapons, there are limitations to those as well:
- There’s only so many weapons you can add at this point. The armory of our heroes is already very well stocked.
- Weapons such as a grenade launcher or trollhammer torpedo would be so very different from any ranged weapon, that it would be hard to balance (either overpowered or underpowered). Arguably these should be something akin to bombs, or even career abilities.
- Adding too many weapons to every single hero (especially ones that don’t fit very well) would arguably be detrimental to the game, since it would make every hero feel more similar. The reason we don’t give elf blackpowder weaponry, Saltzpyre shield weapons, or Kruber a crossbow, is because it would make these characters less unique. Class/character specific weapons accentuate the character more, and shows what kind of role it can do.
If you look back to the very beginning of Vermintide 1 and to now, the amount of weapons we’ve gotten access to seems to be more than double (I mean for Sigmar’s sake, we only got the halberd in V2!). Again, once more, one more time and once again, I think that Fatshark should look into the weapons we currently have, because there are quite a few weapons that might as well not even exist.
To give some examples, there’s the 2h mace, widely called the worst melee weapon in the entire game. This weapon might as well not exist, barely no one uses it. If it got reworked, it would be exactly like getting a new weapon.
Then we have Saltzpyre, who only has 2 ranged weapons. But what about the repeater pistol or volley crossbow, I (don’t) hear you ask? The repeater pistol is only semi-viable with BH. The volley crossbow is utter trash. If you’re taking the volley crossbow, then it’s like not taking a ranged weapon at all. Sure, you can technically kill stuff with it, but it’s so bad, it’s so painful to use, and it’s so completely outclassed, that no one uses it, and it might as well not exist. If it got buffed like it did in the Weapon Rebalance mod, then it’d be like getting a new weapon.
Lastly, I’ll remind everyone that the developer of this game is Fatshark. They are extremely slow at pushing out updates and making any real change. Keep in mind that it took them 6 months to nerf Battle Wizard (essentially just swap the places of 2 talents and nerf them a bit), it took them 2 months to make any real change to the Beastmen at all, and it took them again around 6 months to get them where they are now, in the meanwhile they were terrorizing the game. Fatshark cannot make a lot of content, and often when they do make any content, it’s rushed, buggy and badly received. You cannot expect much from them, so how do people think the devs could add a new character in any reasonable amount of time and quality? Of course, I don’t want to rip on them too much, they did after all make the game, and not everything they’ve done is terrible, but there’s still a lot left to be desired.
I’m like 75% sure Fatshark knows what they’re doing, I’m pretty sure they know what the scope of the game should be, and they don’t need me to tell them what they should and shouldn’t be focusing on. But as a player of this game I can express what I want, and what I want them to work on are a cosmetics overhaul, new deeds system, another Big Balance patch to bring those weapons that I talked about up to actual usability, work on many of the talents, expand and work on the Beastmen, think about adding new gameplay elements (I may make a topic on what those could possibly be) and various other things to make the quality of the game better. Of course, since I labeled this a discussion, I’d like to see what other people think. Keep in mind this is all my opinion and I speak for no one but myself. Some statements may be hyperbolic.
TL;DR - I think the devs should focus on quality and what we have now, instead of adding new things. Also Fatshark bad but not that bad.