Veteran "Sharpshooter" Stripped too thin (updated to Patch 14)

After the class overhaul , classes became much more interesting, ogryns throwing Tsar Bomba, psykers having deploying walls and defense domes, zealot giving huge toughness buffs, with many builds to explore.

As for the Sharpshooter, it feels really stripped thin of passive abilities , with many essential abilities way down the line, nearly at the end, and many other abilities requires to break cohesion due it needs you to stay away from the enemy.

These are all the things that got nerfed and/or got removed from Sharpshooter tree or even base stats, which really straps the sharpshooter thin.

Nerfed Stats: Nerfed Base stats, that was there at level 1 Veteran
Vet had 7.5% toughness on kill, now 5%
Vet had 40% Ammo , now 0%
Vet had 200 Toughness by Default, now 100
Vet Cohesion was 1-2% Ammo on kill , now 0.5%
Vet Default Nades was 4, now 3
Vet had 15% Weakspot Bonus , now 0%
Scavenger minimum was 1 round per kill, now decimal calculation applies
Patch 14 Ulti Ability cooldown from 25 Seconds → 35 seconds (Was 25secs before path 13)

Things as changes to Scavenger, Base Toughness, and Ammo is quite harsh on the sharpshooter, especially that to overcome the removed stats, its nearly impossible as they are scattered away at the tree, while also some do not exists anymore.

Scavenger Comparsion between Old and New:

New Bolter
80 Ammo Bolter Ammo Pattern: 11110
you will get 1 bullet per first 4 specials, and then get no Ammo on the 5th.
1% is 0.8 Ammo
so it does deduct the 0.2 from each of the first 4 specials, so you are strictly getting 1% ammo.

Old Bolter
115 Ammo Bolter Ammo Pattern: 22222 (Constant 2 rounds per kill)
Any Special you kill, you always get two rounds.
1% is 1.15 Ammo
and we are getting 2 Ammo per kill ,which is 1.7%.

which so we are now getting nearly 60% less ammo than before.

Nerfed Abilities : Still there but nerfed
Volley Fire Vet Ability/Ulti was 50% Base Ranged Damage, now 25% Ranged 25% on Weakspot
The Bigger they are… Buff Vs Ogyrn and Monsters reduced to 25% from 75%
Volley Fire -Executioner Stance Vet Ability Cooldown Don’t Start until ability is ended, therefore refresh will halt the cooldown

Volley Fire, or the Augmented Version “Executioner Stance” got hugely nerfed, as now it require Weakspot hits for damage rather than plain damage bonus, therefore for weapons as shotguns, braced autoguns etc. they suffer from the situation.

Also Ability cooldown is paused while ability is active, therefore if you kept on refreshing your ability cooldown is paused.

Refreshing does not refresh any extra abilities that do activate with the ability itself (bottom skill tree abilities).

Removed Abilities): No more gainable not even by skill tree
Sustained Fire Vet lvl 30 Feat , 60% Toughness Replenish & Magazine Reload removed
Unwavering Focus Toughness Damage Reduction With Ulti Activation Removed
Max Ammo increase you can get is 25% now, was 40% by Default
Camo Expert Standing Still reduces your targeting/Reduces your Aggro Removed
Ability Refresh does not refresh ability modifiers (at bottom tree upgrade)
Demolition Team Used to give Grenade to everyone on Coherency, now only gives the player himself while in coherency.
The Bigger They Are… Highlighting ogryns with ability activation is removed.

3 Skills from the Tree Talents got fully removed, and passive extra ammo now require a certain skill tree and will still give lower ammo than before.

Weapon Nerfs
Tier 4 15% Power Stack → 8% Power Stack Power Sword Blessing (Slaughterer)
Tier 4 20% Power → 5% Power Stack Bolter Blessing (Pinning Fire)
Heavy Attack Damage Nerf (it does Exact Damage as Light Attack) Power Sword Special/Charged Attack

Nerf to Bolter power is quite huge , a 75% nerf to bolter power gain, with less ammo now, a weaker ulti/active ability, things are harder to manage.

Even with Patch 14, many abilties are stripped away down in paths, which are essential when going any of the three paths.

24 Likes

They were so afraid to let Veteran remain strong so they just gutted him and spilled everything on the floor.

9 Likes

Its fully acknowledged that this tree is garbage and they are rebalancing it, I’m assuming those new penances that were sort of hinted at (septicemia’s darktide discord profile pics for a bit) are part of that too and it just got loped off this update. It t’were pretty big still.

Dunno why we can’t get the one from the preview in the interim…

4 Likes

Bruh, fat shark never apologizes for anything… you’re being unrealistic

2 Likes

More like hopeful. It has happened. Granted it usually took a massive shakeup and the threat of the lights being shutoff if relations with the players didn’t improve massively, but it has happened.

Now practically unheard of? That would be an admission of doing things wrong. In 30 odd years I have seen that happen exactly once. And that was in Planetside when the CM at the time openly admitted that the players had found a day-1 bug some 4 or 5 years later that had been behind an entire categry of weapons being utter trash.

I don’t expect to ever see that again. Too many people in positions of authority whose fragile egos would be bruised if there was an admission that they are not infalliable gods and all errors are the result of inept underlings.

1 Like

Veteran was stupidly powerful before.

But this tree feels barebones as hell.

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to be accurate.

It’s from 75% to 25%.

It’s from 40% to 0%.

There might be more inaccuracies.

2 Likes

I take it like food, with salt. Funny how ammo bonus went from 75% → 40% → 0% → 25% at end of skill stree though.

1 Like

Also base crit went from 10% - 5% but I don’t know if the list needs to be longer :stuck_out_tongue:

Totally agree, vet’s basic kit got gutted really bad. However, at max level they are still pretty powerful though. I think they need a bit of a defensive tweak (stamia related or toughness related) and also volley fire needs a buff.

2 Likes

75% in Ult with refresh → 25% always regardless of Ult.
If we really want to nitpick :stuck_out_tongue:

Some unmentioned buffs:

Base stam regen delay 1.5 s → 1 s
Can go as low as 0.5 s with nodes

Toughness damage multiplier while sprinting 2x → 1x

Some other toughness multipliers during different actions normalised across characters in ways that from memory mostly help Vet

2 Likes

At least for all the offensive abilities based on an inverted damage dropoff table or distance from enemies, headshots should always get the maximum ranged buff regardless of range. This would go an incredibly long way on fixing ranged precision Veteran builds and ranged builds more generally.

I really don’t remember it well, I just calculated old Bolter Ammo 80 → 115 , 30.4% Ammo Increase , so its even worse!

I took the 50% from a photo 6 months old, i have sent to a friend back then, so should be the same issue

Thanks for the heads up!

It got buffed to 75% in one of the patches. Really made my Ogryn Hunter plasma shine.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Veteran still has 1.25s stamina regen delay, 0.25s is the relationship between everyone (Psyker at 0.5 and everyone counts up from that).

Veteran does feel bad with that left in tact, and his 5% extra crit chance taken away.

2 Likes

Yep it’s the classic “vocal minority” syndrome all over again.

Yeah, sharpshooter is garbage class now.
Can only show elites behinde the walls.
I expected vet will have some huge passive buff to sway and recoil, that seems logical, but instead he got only nerfs.

And all this is while psyker has unlimited ammo better CC and damage output.

3 Likes

These are the new stats (no talent or skill tree selection) power sword in hand , i dont have a picture or details of the old stats.

am running a 3+ stamina curious, and stamina regen.

1 Like

Nah, it is fine and where it should be. Simply Vet is no longer twice better than other classes form the get go. You can still retain majority of the buffs in the tree, from ammo replenish aura to weekspot hits, sway reduction and crit increase to ammo capacity.
Yes with all weapon changes Vet feels nerfed, but I believe it has more options now and there are several valid builds insted of always overperforming (good old, grenadier build, las wpn spec with unlimited anmmo, stealth no-aggro and even melee etc.). Classes are simply equalized at base now, which if fine.
I personally like the fact that most of your buffs are active, not passive like before, you have to do something to have benefits applied.
Before anyone raises that, I play all the classes and Vet the most.
Now Psykers seem to be OP, but to be fair I can’t hold it against Psyker players, they were forced into brainburst for a year, let them have some fun :wink:

3 Likes

FatShark Dev’s reply

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of the inconvenience caused and after multiple considerations, we have decided to nerf Veterans again.

3 Likes