Uninstalling until several patches fix gpu crashes that cause monitor to lose signal and gpu fans to stop spinning

Basically, I load up the game, select my character and the main hub begins loading, but I only get a black screen instead, meaning the display loses signal with the gpu, and the fans stop spinning. I don’t know what it could be, and so far I’ve been able to ‘fix it’ by just turning it off, crying myself to sleep and going back in the morning to turn it on and find the signal is back, and the gpu is working as normal.

I’m running a tuf gaming 3070ti, got a 11th gen intel cpu, 16gb, good psu and enough fans. Game shouldn’t be giving me these potentially hardware-damaging issues. I don’t have money to replace a gpu that cost me a $1000 during the gpu crisis(No, I couldn’t wait. do I regret it? kinda, but I want to tell myself the time I gamed paid for itself).

Finish your dingle dangle game. I already got a refund from Steam once after the game kept crashing on day 1 or 2, and I stupidly bought it again thinking most of the heavy crashes were gone, but they’re definitely not.

I want to make it explicitly clear that I LOVE this game, I loved what the devs have designed in terms of gameplay and sound design only. Everything else is a ****ing let down, and the whole cosmetics/crafting not being complete/story being non-existent in favor of a ‘live service’, and just the state of the game, is a big slap on the face of every single fan that you know you counted on for first-adopter revenue.

I ing hate how the gaming industry is just turning into this Mr. Robot bull hyper consumerist dystopia and game companies are aware that consumers will blindly throw their money no matter how much they keep getting ****ed! Oh well, it’s just entropy doing its business on a system.

Dang. Don’t know what to say about this. I’ve had a few Crash to Desktop issues, and even a crashed the computer issue, but stopped the fans…nope. Sorry this happened. This may be a stupid question, but have you tried the “Bugs” section and see if anyone else had this problem?

Hi, thanks
I did try the search function to try and see if anything similar has come up, but I don’t see anything as catastrophic as mine. My gpu should not be getting these issues when it heats up more with games like Dead by Daylight. Truth is, sans Raytracing or DLSS, this game is not that demanding on the hardware, it’s just really poorly optimized. I shouldn’t have to verify or re-download drivers or files to run the game.

1 Like

Just FYI: On some GPU models, and it seems yours too, fans don’t spin below a certain temperature. You can make a custom curve and/or check with Afterburner.

On my EVGA 3080 this was the default behavior w/ non OC BIOS (it has 2 VBIOSes).

1 Like

Hi, I’m not exactly a tech guy. Can you please dumb down what you suggest I should do? You’re saying I should make a ‘custom surve’ and/or check with Afterburner?

I don’t know if it the fans just stop spinning because of what you mention, but I’m more curious to know if that’s related with the monitor losing signal with the gpu. Like, literally I just don’t get a feed on the screen.

So bad… I hope they will make the necessary fixes so that you can soon play this game in favorable conditions

When in doubt, google is your friend Custom Fan Curve Guide | Any GPU | MSI Afterburner | 2022 Guide - YouTube

The black screen is for sure a bug, I’m just pointing out that GPU fans not spinning doesn’t mean your HW will get fried, some models don’t spin below a certain temp and a hang likely leaves your GPU in an idle state and temps may ramp down below that threshold.

P.S. Don’t download MSI Afterburner from anywhere but MSI.com.

Ohh okay, thank you so much. You’re right, I could’ve figured it out on my own through a couple Google searches. By the way, mine is an Nvidia card, so I would have to look for a Nvidia one, right?

Also, do you think I should try loading up the game, perhaps re-installing it, and not worry that my gpu is using up lifespan by constantly having to turn the pc on and off?

Thanks!

Wait is that whats been going on when my display port signals been cutting out? I just got a new gfx card and assumed I was having some sort of driver error popping up, its been driving me mad.

As someone already mentioned, most modern GPUs stop the fan when they’re below a safe temp. Nothing to worry about, just cuts down on noise, and wear and tear.

Have you tried using the beta branch? Have you tried deleting the config folder and allowing it to be recreated? Some users have had success in reducing the number of crashing, but not everyone. I crash about once a day instead of every other match, big improvement, but not perfect by any means.

nVidia chip but your TUF is an Asus branded card, MSI Afterburner works on any vendor branded nVidia GPU; says so right in the utube title too.

As MeatShield pointed out below, try to experimental beta branch on Steam, all the good meat’n’potatoes info is here KNOWN ISSUE: Crashing at Random, Due to GPU-Related Errors - #1502 by MeatShield01 including some obscure settings to try mentioned by a developer.

If you’re still having issues, turn off Ray Tracing, play in Borderless Windowed (aka fake fullscreen) , check out some basic steps in the issues thread . Then try the experimental beta branch and the 2 obscure settings all mentioned above (1 at a time then both/three). Most importantly, pray to the patch gods.

2 Likes

Will try these, and honestly, considering there aren’t any major updates coming or announced, at least not 'til after New Year’s, I’ll just hold off. I can’t express how much it HURTS ME when I suddenly can’t even see my ****ing screen.

Gracias!

1 Like

What resolution are you playing at? Next time this happens check the cable connector to your monitor, how hot is the connector? If it gets too hot the monitor will cut off the signal to prevent damage.

I had this until I got a better cable for my 4K tv

2K is what I’ve been running, I’ll check for sure as this has had me stumped after reseating everything and going through a fresh driver install etc How hot am I looking at for the cutoff, like 40C or higher?

I think its different per manufacturer and some probably dont even bother.

I have a Sony TV I use as a monitor. The old cable used to get really dang hot to the touch. like so hot as soon as you touch it you know it should never be that hot and unplug it so it doesnt damage your monitor

Screen turning off at higher frequency while gaming is often linked to some poor quality cable.

Turning off any g-sync or any related setting to check if the problem is around that is also important.

The issues you are talking about have nothing to do with the game, it is your gpu configuration or something wrong with your gpu.

1 Like

Not necessarily, no.
It could just be a driver+software issue caused by the game, like the many that were there since launch and some that got patched out.

That being said, it couldn’t hurt to re-seat physical stuff and run some GPU stress tests.

Just to throw it out there so you can mess around with it, there’s a few things on your GPU that communicate directly with the display you could try disabling.

• HDR and/or Auto HDR. Auto HDR will cause the monitor to disconnect and reconnect on startup if HDR wasn’t enabled prior to the game launching. Disable these in Windows, in game settings and on the monitor.
  • G-Sync. In Windows 11 G-Sync can be dynamically enabled/disabled automatically with a supported monitor and game. Turn off adaptive sync in Windows, game settings and on the monitor.
  • Nvidia Reflex. This is designed to lower input latency between the keyboard/mouse > game > GPU > monitor and to lower frame times. Try disabling this in the game settings.

Maybe these will help, maybe they won’t, but worth a shot.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, I’ve tried out some of these already but I’ve turned off Freesync like you’ve advised to see if maybe thats been causing the issue. Card is benchmarking fine so I don’t think its a hardware problem thankfully.