The crafting system is painful

And even that is just a band aid provided by a third party.

2 Likes

This is basically what the Athanor/Weave crafting from VT2 was. It was a completely deterministic crafting system but still probably took 15-20 missions worth of “grind” to get enough crafting materials to fully upgrade an item. Multiply that by 50+ weapons and you got 1,000+ hours of game time. But at least as a player your knew your efforts were going predictably towards a goal of your choosing.

10 Likes

I agree. It removes the frustration of bricking items and uncertainty around if and when you will achieve their goal. Or some players being very unlucky. The feeling of wasting resources. And when balance patches drop you don’t rip your eyes out (like with can opener on ripper) and can just swap to something else.

1 Like

I have not met a single person who likes this system. It’s garbage.

2 Likes

They shouldn’t lock blessings. Period.

9 Likes

I would be ok with resource costs to swap or unlock.

I have seen 5 people defend this system. I have seen like… 50 hate it.

But yeah, IRL I know 6 friends that dropped the game due to crafting, including me 7. My much younger brother and his 6 friends also dropped it to play Vermintide 2 again.

I don’t know anyone in real life that likes crafting. That’s like +14 people right there who would play the heck out of the game, most hardcore gamers, if they just added some capability to remove or swap locks on weapons and curios.

3 Likes

Almost my entire V2 category on my Steam friends list went back to playing V2 or anything else.

3 Likes

The core problem is that instead of building up to some distant goal, you’re just pressing a randomize button on drops.

It would be nice to decide that you want, say, two revolvers - one built one way, and another built another way. And you can take two terrible gray revolvers and very slowly build them both up to perfect 380s with your ideal perks and blessings. Even if it takes weeks to move from 379 to 380, or to finally de-lock that other perk slot. Because, hey, you have TONS of weapons and builds to go through. On multiple characters. You’ll never be done.

Instead, we have this RNG slog nightmare. You’re guaranteed to never, ever get what you actually want. Some people like that. About 30,000 concurrent players per day arguably do not.

9 Likes

I think that’s the nail on the head.

I don’t mind if i need to put a bunch of time into something to get what i want out of it, i don’t mind having to sink repeated resources to level something, i start to lose my mind when i feel like i have a good base, upgrade something, and then it becomes worse than the weapon i was trying to replace.

It’s a maddening system where you are constantly asked to scrap and restart progress unnecessarily.

Even if they said “hey you need 4000 plasteel and 2000 diamantine to upgrade / unlock a blessing / perk” i would go ok, it’s a steep number but it’s eventually achievable through time and play. I’m not constantly throwing spaghetti at the wall in the hopes something will stick.

That’s just the core of the problem, you are supposed to “find hidden protentional in the items you pick up” but how are you supposed to do that when you are trashing 60-70% or more of your weapons per session and not getting anything more than a poultry amount of credits from it? Atleast when Diablo 3 did it you got a decent amount of crafting mats from it.

2 Likes

It doesn’t make sense.
It’s a waste of time.
It’s not rewarding.
It prevents people from trying things.

9 Likes

ELIMINATE LOCKED PERKS AND BLESSINGS
hell, let me pay mats to unlock them if you want. But get rid of it. Its a stupid idea that ONLY hurts the game.

7 Likes

The mere fact that you are asking this tells us you are not worthy of having the crafting system. This is such a disrespect of the ineffable design that you are not worthy of even playing the game.

2 Likes

FS respects your endless diligence to defending the ineffable design of the supreme player rentention crafting system.

3 Likes

I am not worthy. I feel ashamed now.

1 Like

Sigh. And the new patch demonstrates another problem with Blessing locking.

As I said before, with the Vraks VII, by the end of the magazine, a Lvl 4 Crucian Roulette blessing was giving a +50% to Crits (+5% for each tenth of the magazine missing). Arguably excessively good compared to everything else, but it was a blessing that was actually powerful enough to be useful (as compared to some blessings available to it that are borderline useless) and also had the interesting drawback that trying to keep the blessing active had the risk that - hey, you’ve not got a full magazine.

With the change to the Blessing, that’s now ~15% (0.5% for each round spent) - and that, for me, puts it straight back into my category of “Crits are far too unreliable to be something I can base a build on”.

So I now have Vraks VIIs where I’ve locked out other Blessings in order to transfer Crucian Roulette onto them, but I now have to stick by the decisions I made with an entirely different set of information.

Which is just frustrating.

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry that you are a victim of something that a number of us predicted will happen with this pigsty of a system.

1 Like

It could have been worse; as it worked out, Melk had a nice Vraks VII today. Not perfect, but good enough to replace the ones I was had been using.

(This time around I might try combining Ghost and Between the Eyes - I know I said I don’t massively like Between the Eyes on its own, but I think this combination might be pretty good, allowing you to eliminate ranged enemies with impunity at least as long as you can keep chaining headshots).

However, if Fatshark want to legitimately and honestly be able to buff or nerf perks, locking players in based on what used to work is dishonest.

4 Likes

Yes, a very good example of the core issue with this kind of system.

Even if you spend the time and resources to beat the RNG, you’ll have to restart that process when you change your mind or, in this case, when the bild you were going for isn’t attractive to you anymore because of balance changes.

Queue post about the system being a-ok and that it’s not an issue to roll a new weapon, as long as you use the right technique when doing so… :smirk:

6 Likes

What technique? Ah yes, being lucky.

6 Likes

I have the feeling they made it so awful in the hopes we break and just plead them to let us buy the weapons we want with real money.

No reason to have 5 whole layers or RNG otherwise.

I wonder if the next Tide game they’ll just send someone over to your house to punch you in the face as a loot/crafting system because I can’t see how it can get worse than what we currently have.

4 Likes