Seriously, the crafting is still garbage

When Fatshark said they are “reworking” and “focusing” on crafting I thought we are actually getting a comprehensive system that would respect player time and give us the freedom build our arsenals as we prefer them. And what we get? More inane decisions and the same old RNG sludge.

Why is the other blessing locked? Why? Why won’t you let me built a weapon the way I want it? It was an idiotic decision when this was done for traits, and now of course Fatshark is doing the same dumb thing for blessings? Why? Do you think this will make me play more? It literally, actively makes me wanna quit.

The extraction of blessings. Good idea, but once again brain-dead execution. Why can’t we combine the same low level blessings into a higher tier one? I mean once you hit 30 levels you are only gonna aim for tier 4 blessings anyway, nobody is spending hard earned materials for a tier 2-3 build,so what’s the point in extracting low level blessings? Do people who make these systems actually play the game?

Why can’t we recycle unwanted weapons for materials? You do realise that would actually increase the motivation to get any weapons out of any source, since even the worst drop would at least go towards more builds? Why is that hard to understand?
Seems that some decisions were made and for some reason the Devs can’t reverse them so they are doing their hardest to create the illusion of “listening to feedback” while continuing with the same horrible, time wasting, RNG infested, un-intuitive “crafting system” come hell or high water.

16 Likes

I don’t think so.

The system is full of locks and RNG just to waste time and to hide the fact that the game lacks actual content.
Some day they will realise… But I guess this day is in the far far future.
The least I hope for is that they’ll get rid of the locks in a somewhat timely manner.

Sooner or later they will have to rework pretty much everything outside the missions.

9 Likes

The RNG is still bad (enough of that said elsewhere), and the UI and user experience of what we have of crafting also leaves a lot left to be desired.

Perks - infinite rolling to try to get what you want. Mods are alleviating some of that with auto-roll, silencing Hadron during bulk rolls, etc. but it shouldn’t have come to that in the first place. It’s been suggested to either bump up the refine cost to the total to free cost and allow you to pick the perk you want, or limit it to T4 perks when you reach free rerolls (but picking is so much more friendly).

Blessings - Instead of having a multi-page sticker book for every weapon pattern, it would be better if it was just one grid page and it showed you the highest level of blessing you have collected. I don’t know if there is anyone who would willingly spend resources to re-bless with a lower tier blessing when a higher one is available except for some esoteric testing.

Melk’s - Being the main source of T3 and 4 blessings, it still has the issue where there is no weighting whatsoever towards generating unique class weapons. It would be nice if there were a slot or two that guaranteed class weapons.

They really should get someone to play, no debug, tester or dev tools and commands, and see how long it takes to do anything.

6 Likes

Totally agree on this… I don’t know who had this idea… but yes they should change this.

Also, you should notice that T4 are purple… we don’t have orange blessings…

3 Likes

Yeah, they should let us change both blessings and perks whenever we want, not lock 1 of them.

9 Likes

It’s even more frustrating, as after the open letter and the survey some weeks ago, I thought that they would really try to turn the ship into the right direction.
Sometimes I wonder if the current system is just like a placeholder for a better one they are working on, as I can’t understand how the system is just that much worse than the one we had in previous FS games.

The desperate try to hide the lack of content and creating player retention aside… I think I would actually have more fun with the abysmal content we have if I could use the weapon I wanted with the perks and blessings I wanted. I wouldn’t mind grinding for gear if I knew I could reach my goal but with the current system you just hope for the minimal chance of stuff to pop up on your screen.

9 Likes

Its so funny that someone in corporate thinks this is a good idea and is working when we’re ALL still here precisely DESPITE the bad crafting decisions.

I sure do hope that content patch is good because i am planning on shelving DarkTide until then. I tried to roll up a plasma gun for fun yesterday, but i haven’t played vet in so long i didnt have many resources. After a few runs i managed to get an OK one and just felt dissapointment with it and the entire process. So on top of being desperately lacking content, the resource siloing and loot system negatively gate me from what is there. Ironic.

10 Likes

Entire system is designed to facilitate grinding, not sure if they would actually want to change it but i’d love to see it.

2 Likes

Grinding has milestones and end points though, people are confusing game progression systems that simply involve a lot of time with this game’s no progression system of lighting lottery tickets on fire at Hadron and hoping she didn’t just abscond with a week’s worth of playtime or more.

This is my real source of issue, the game makes the store into a source of tedium. Imagine just walking up to Peddler, seeing numerous items with decent rolls and deciding what you’d like to spend your dockets on. This was apparently far too convenient for the designer whose sense of wonder was formed by crushing disappointment tearing open stacks of trading cards and trashing 90%. Or some other similar traumatic experience of being bombarded with garbage.

Would the gameplay arc be ruined if it didn’t take 100+ store refreshes for a psyker staff that probably still has terrible rolls? We’ll never know. I know that most players would not hate the item system anywhere near as much if they didn’t see screens full of garbage every time you clicked Armory Exchange or looked at an emperor gift. At the very least more people would log in to play instead of sniping that 1 good item that appeared all day and logging off. If there is a dumb hourly store it should have good content every hour, how hard is this.

6 Likes

It’s essentially the same slot machine system as before, just now with more steps and masqueraded as a ‘complex’ system. It’s blatantly a tactic to boost play-time metrics. Not being able to ‘recycle’ worthless weapons or trade-in excess materials further confirms this… Instead of just trading in some of my thousands of diamantine or useless trash-roll weapons for that extra 5 plasteel I need for an upgrade, I now have to play another 20-30min game. It’s a boring slog that, once again, disrespects the player’s time just so they can copy some GaaS model.

8 Likes

The system is absolutely awful. You need RNG to get a good power level, then you need absolutely stellar RNG to get a level four trait and a level four blessing that you want so that you can replace the others.

There is no excuse.

I really like the shops compared to the infinite amount of loot boxes that Vermintide had but the system just does not work well. I really don’t like having tons of weapons that I have to do anything with (deconstruct, sell, whatever) it’s just a bloody waste of time.

WoM had something quite nice where you just had one weapon that you could slot things in and out of. I’d love such a system and then these spottable things could require grinding to get, but this nonsense of constantly getting gear that you have to do stuff with… yeah… looter shooter nonsense. There is a reason I don’t play Borderlands or Diablo. Still, I know some really like it… as if vendor trash is ever fun… there is something I’m not understanding.

5 Likes

I think the combination of increased plasteel payouts + brunts armoury + decreased consecrate costs for low stat weapons + the blessing library has theoretically made things a bit better. You can now get a cheap low tier item from Brunt → consecrate it cheaply using your copious plasteel and if it pays out → earn blessing and apply it to your actual preferred weapon. If it doesn’t pay out at least you didn’t spend too much on it.

I only point this out because I see a lot of people on these forums and elsewhere missing this pathway. That said, I agree the improvements were only improvements on a fundamentally lousy system. I think that Fatshark is taking the same approach to changes to items & build crafting that they take to combat: tiny, incremental balance changes. That’s a good way to do it for the action so that it doesn’t get too out of whack but for build crafting they need to be unafraid to think big.

Amen. Been saying these things but it’s fallen on deaf ears. Oh well, they don’t want me to play their game I’m moving on. Diablo 4 comes out this week. It we’ll be a long time before I touch this game again. Foolish developers don’t care about the players, only profits and engagement.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @Jesper, you speak from my soul.

This nonsensical crafting system and then 2 other traits are locked when you change one and you almost push yourself to death until you are satisfied with the new advantage. It’s mindless, boring and time consuming.

The blessing thing is also one of those things, where you then have the curiosities curiously excluded. Are we still playing, or are we about to spend 2 hours at the crafting table?

The developers have now fabricated enough nonsense, it’s about time that they organize something productive. New maps would be nice and an increase in the level system, then probably the worn-out players who already have max. level, come back again.

3 Likes

Yep, still remember when they solved everything with cauldron crafting :melting_face:

The locking down of one Perk and one Blessing during the so-called Crafting serves absolutely no purpose other than to frustrate. This whole RNG upgrade-lottery would not be that bad if you could simply invest resources into changing the outcomes of Consecrating weapons and Gear.

That way people could actually somewhat enjoy the RNG, since it would be possible that you win the lottery and get exactly what you want, but losing the lottery would simply mean that you need to invest more resources into your weapons and curios to make them just the way you want. You know, like in an actual Crafting system.

But no. Losing the lottery in Darktide means “f**k you - try again from the start, id*ot”.

What a way to ruin your product and your reputation as a game developer. But apparently this isn’t even the first time for Fatshark, so what do I know?! Maybe this is some deviously genius plan at work here.

6 Likes

The combination of RNG AND high resource consumption to upgrade to orange is just awful feeling at the moment. If you’re getting 200 plasteel per run, it would take 9 games to get enough to upgrade a single weapon to max just to have 2 chances at rolling one of the 2 blessings you need for your build to work. So the other option is to just roll things to blue in the hopes of getting it on the first roll, but that leaves you at the mercy of brunts armory rng even more to get a weapon in the 370+ range. Its just too much time and effort just to test out a build that you might end up not even liking

5 Likes

The locking blessings seems so contrary to having the blessings bank staying permanently open. Are we just supposed to look at those as some kind of milestone like the penance points? At least let us upgrade the tier of the locked blessing.

4 Likes

Was going to make a seperate thread but might as well put it in here.

Locking blessings earned to 1 weapon type when the blessing itself has no functional change between weapons is one of those things that needs to go.

I shouldn’t need to unlock run and gun on 3 or 4 separate guns since it literally has identical function between all the guns with it. Same of focused channeling on staffs or limb splitter on Axes.

In cases where there is a functional difference i can live with it (such as Infernus having 1-2 on the recon vs 2-3 standard). Even then it’s a system that doesn’t feel like it follows it’s own rules half the time with what does and doesn’t share blessings. If a blessing is also functionally different name it something else and make it it’s own thing.

3 Likes

Heh.

5 Likes