The Crafting Memorial; lest we forget

Load up a Warhammer 2 or 3 Battle, then mute the music. The battle audio is completely dead. Bit of roaring/snarling from units, little or none clash of the units. They used music to create tension in the battles and to cover the fact there is hardly any battle unit audio itself. Feels like you muted entire game instead.

Shogun 2 FOTS - Mute the music. What a difference. Can tell which units firing or advancing and no need for Z to show idle units like WH3. Clash to show successful charge. The echoes give indication of direction and distance, so you know where it is coming from. Great use of sound.

Never TW games have magic global recruitment. Mid game once rich enough instant transport across the world! :smiley: Don’t need military buildings near frontline anymore!

I know what you mean you sort of play pass the parcel from deep in your regions to frontline to move units along.

Yea. There are probably mods to remove army caps and make generals free. Then I realised pointless if enemy AI can’t actually use it too. Having 3-4 full stacks turns the game into one giant siege after another.

I tried Rome 2 then Attila. Then I just saw it was all same pattern. Stick a Tier 3 melee unit in middle and circle surround it with 3-4 Tier 1 enemy melee units. The Tier 3 unit can hold them for ages I’m talking at least 3 mins, even rout 2 of them. Skipped TOB and 3K, when read it was same, then I got Troy from Epic Store for free. Same thing again, something off with that.

Shogun 2 - Cheap spear unit will kill Elite horse unit. The things in this game just make more sense.

I agree. I don’t think it will ever go back to those game designs.

3 Likes

Many thanks to @FatsharkJulia for being able to compile all the info in one place again!

7 Likes

Well that QA did answer some questions and concerns I had with the system, so now it’s time to wait some more lol

5 Likes

I have my concerns, but unless it comes with a side of stealth nerfs to vendors and an untenable grind from scratch (aka, more than a few hours to max mastery on a given weapon), I think I’ll be satisfied.

I still feel that scopes and the like really should be an element of customization, but that’s a different thing.

6 Likes

I still have some questions, will probably need to reread it when I’m not at work.

Still my biggest question is do I need to be farming tier 1-3 blessings right now?

2 Likes

That question wasn’t answered I think.

1 Like

This makes it seem like “yes you should,” but it’s not very conclusive.

The last 2 days I’ve just been buying out Brunts rotating stock and ripping all the low level blessings off them just in case that’s how the new system will work. However, I would hope that is not how it works and if you have a t4 blessing you’ll just get the same amount of xp as if you had t1-4 blessings.

4 Likes

That’s the magic question. In that announcement thread I’ve posted that query.

Can see it now - Armory buying blues and actually choosing to run low tier missions for T1 and T2 blessings.

The real confirmed is trash weapons have salvage purpose and your inventory is about to turn into doomscroll in next few months to be ready to offload when update drops.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m very worried about this too.

I’ve asked the question directly in today’s new thread about itemization.

1 Like

Just opening the window again… Let it breath a bit. Since crafting memorial isn’t specific to unlocking but crafting in general, thread can still stay the course. Of course it has become a ground for random thoughts, which is good too.

I wish could transfer dockets/plasteel to friends.

Post a job opening beside mission terminal “Will give 10K plasteel, hiring Ogryn mercenary to be personal meat shield for one night”

4 Likes

A lot of these games really do lack proper social systems in game. Would there even be a way to let Crafting be social…

Huh that’s a funky thought. Most common weapon and blessing combo would just feel too artificial and meaningless. Would there even be a way to have people join in on a item build…

2 Likes

Checking back in and comparing to other game progressions systems.

Been playing a lot of Rockay city recently since i got it on sale and it’s alright, it kind of mixes random unlocks with buying progress. I’m somewhat annoyed by some stuff in game being locked behind that system but i have about half the unlocks sitting at roughly 40 hours and the single player is a roguelike on top of progress being shared for unlocks for multiplayer and single player. Each level up gets you 3 choices and you can direct where your progress goes.

I opted to go for a lot of team members where you can’t modify their kit but they get unique abilities and buffs that your boss character doesn’t get at the cost of less customization. You can also use them in multiplayer and single player which is cool.

There is random chance but you know you are actually getting somewhere and you can direct where your progress goes. It also clearly marks SP vs MP progress which is cool as you know what goes where.

Weapons are also interesting, rather than customization you basically get different variants you can buy which cost more or less depending on rarity which roughly translates to which sights or attachments you get with them, rarer guns having more stuff on them. It feels like a very Payday 1 choice which makes sense considering it was made by a lot of the same team. I tend to call the game Payday 1.5/2.5 for that reason.

Like 40 hours to get half the progression unlocked and to know generally what’s left to buy / get? Ehh, can’t complain. It’s also nice that the DLC weapons aren’t just flat out better than the base game ones and present more of interesting side grades that don’t overshadow the team character’s unique weapons. Cool little game, don’t mind a bit of a grind if i know it’s actually achievable by a normal person not just glued to the game 24/7

2 Likes

Whilst sure it is a decent game. Don’t think I want to jump into another progression system for a while. I’ll be jumping game after game to chase a carrot.

Just glad I got to stage in DT to enjoy playing without needing to chase anything further.

Not just new games, it’s interesting discovery going back to old games in library to see how well they were made in features and mechanics compared to now, even if they are bit dated in graphics and UI QOL.

1 Like

Trade.

What a juicy can of worms that would be!

1 Like

Warframe managed to do it, but I trust Fatshark significantly less than I do Digital Extremes.

6 Likes

The new chase wouldn’t be so bad if they got rid of all of the rng aspects. Their obsession with it is mind-boggling. It’s great that they’re making progression less rng, but one of the most aggravating aspects of it is the random stat pool that they seem keen to still include for absolutely no good reason.

5 Likes

It certainly makes a person play more, perhaps more than they really want to. Maybe that’s the idea behind it all, to keep your attention focused on one game than other games to make reasonable progress.

2 Likes

That’s absolutely it. Some idiot read a blog post or attended a business meeting about engagement metrics and we’ve been stuck with it ever since. It was almost as bad in V2 as well, with the same random reroll bs crafting launched with.

Fatshark would make things so much easier on themselves if they ditched all the randomization entirely and left only deterministic blessings and perks.

Make the perks represent things like ammunition types (aka different damage bonuses) while the blessings are weapon mods (more interesting effects). Boom. No more problems. You have a singular thing to balance around for any given weapon.

6 Likes

While crafting rework is highly appreciated I cant help myself but think of it as rushed half backed solution.

1. There will still be RNG so we would have to buy dozens of grey items as we do now. At least now Hadron cant spoil it
  2. Gift of the emperror currently is a joke and it will remain. In v2 there was nice reason to try farm red items to salvage them. Maybe not the best system but it still rewarded you for playing. In DT I dont even look at items I get from emperor
  3. Melk’s shop (and Brant’s rotation shop) will be both completely obsolete and whole weekly quest system with them.

Still no interesting reward system, still stupid rng. Why they took so much time to deliver so little? They could just remove locks to the same effect

5 Likes

randomly allocated stats is the worst idea they ever had

9 Likes