The crafting is too much like gambling

I just spent 3 mil trying to get the stats on a gun I wanted and a little spoiler, I didn’t get the stats I wanted.

The ideal weapon rating is about 378+ but the problem is most rolls will give a weapon with a rating of about 350 and the worst part is even if you get close to a weapon with the stats you want, you still have to deal with Hadron’s crafting system which is another layer of RNG, because if you don’t get the perks/blessings you want, you get locked out of modifying your weapon further.

This means you once again have to wait for a weapon with a good rating which will make you bankrupt since every profane gun is 10k. (Really should be 1k tbh)

Have to say I hate how gambling-intensive Darktide’s craft system is.
In some ways, it’s worse than Vermintides system because once you have a Red item, it’s just a matter of getting a lucky roll on the item. In Darktide you can’t get a perfect weapon rating and you can’t modify the blessings/perks to how you like because of how the lockout works.

This system sucks.

29 Likes

We know. We’ve told them repeatedly. They have given no indication they ever intend on changing it. Some MBA has a lock on the decision making and is refusing to let it be changed, is my guess.

14 Likes

It’s horrible because being able to craft, fine-tune, and experiment with new builds is an enjoyable experience, but that experience is locked behind a horrendous “gambling” system. I can’t even call it RNG anymore because of the fact the current craft system is designed to make you broke in pursuit of fine-tuning, or you just settle for mediocrity.

13 Likes

welcome to the club, give it 9 years til they start adding reds from vermintide to “fix” the crafting

8 Likes

Memorialize this pal.

6 Likes

@brosgw we’ve got new recruit!

7 Likes

Welcome to the club, buddy.

5 Likes

Your name, and tale has been scribed into the chronicles of RNG oppression.

16 Likes

You have my utmost gratitude.

3 Likes

@FatsharkCatfish You managed to get thousands of players back with an awesome patch 13. Now you are threatened to lose them again as after playing a lot of fun missions all they can do outside of missions is to engage in gambling for better weapons. Gambling at extreme high prices. This isn’t fun.

And your superiors arguement that a silent majority enjoys the system is unplausible. Those who stay have found a way to get along with it and don’t give feedback. From others leaving will be the only feedback you’ll get. All the verbalised feedback you get tells you crafting isn’t fun.

If removing the lock system is such a no no for whatever reason none of your actual players can understand you could also remove the other layer of RNG. Keep the locks but give us a reliable way to get weapons with the exact stats we want. Two layers of RNG is just to much and annoying to engage with and super frustrating. Frustration is not an emotion you want in your players if your intention is for your game to be played.

I know I’m most likely wasting my breath but it is also frustrating to see Fatshark, who delivered the finest 40k action game since Space Marine, shoot themselves in the foot for no reason.

13 Likes

This is so true. I can’t begin to express how pissed off I got at myself when I chose the wrong perk to change and I had no way to get back the modifier point I lost.

2 Likes

Yes, it is a gambling system. However, it is better than the one before the update. I lost my house upgrading at that time.

2 Likes

Wait, the Inquisition gave you your own house?

This next part is to the Fatshark devs.

When your peak player count goes from 100k and drops to 2k in a matter of months, with players coming back to the news on a more customizable skill tree, that’s all the proof you need that players hate the RNG. Even if you have some delusional belief that RNG equates to player retention, then explain to me why a peak player count of 100k dropped to a meager 2k in a matter of months. This idea that RNG is a strong player retention strategy is dead wrong. What does retain players is the game/combat loop. You nail that and your game will last a lifetime. TF2 is the perfect example of this, that game is over a decade old and refuses to die.

5 Likes

Personally, I think it is something that keep me playing: to find the perfect weapon. It’s not that I have to, it’s just an accomplishment. It might not be the same for other people but I enjoy a little bit of gambling as long as it’s not too much.

The fact that you don’t really need a perfect weapon to effectively run Auric, I don’t see a problem here. I feel like players don’t want RNG because they just want to have perfect weapons by not taking into account that “you don’t really need them.”

So far being able to change either 2 stats or 2 blessings or 1 of each, depending on the initial rolls is amazing. And to get around 370+ modifier, it’s not that hard either. I usually spend about 300k to maybe 500k each time buying white weapons and I’ll get at least two 370+ modifiers all the time.

2 Likes

Has nothing to do with wanting the “perfect weapon” it has to do with customization and being able to experiment with builds. You can’t do that with the current craft system. Yes, you can buy any gun from Grunt, slap on some consecration, and be ready for action never thinking twice about it.
However if you’re someone who wants to experiment with fine-tuning your weapons and creating career builds, then you can’t, not with the lock system.

This is what was great about V2’s system, you’d loot or craft a red and you’re good to go and could put any trait or perks you wanted on it. You still had an RNG element but if you had enough dust you would eventually get the perks and traits you wanted. Darktides system does not give the player the agency to experiment with builds.

4 Likes

I think you made a good point. Thanks

2 Likes

Want me to add you to the memorial wall in light of recent events?

1 Like

I would appreciate that, thank you!
Anything to help the cause.

2 Likes

Item Locks will continue until Aquilas Sales improve.

5 Likes

This is pretty much my stance, and my friends, I don’t want to be able to get perfectly rolled weapons easy, or even possbile!

I Like that I can spend 500-1000 hours into the game and potentially still find/make a slightly better version of my weapon occationally.

It’s not HARD to make a pretty decent weapon for a new build, around 365-370+ item stats (360 is often fine for many weapons that have a throw away stats).

And really no problem with the gamble aspect of it either, I like the current system and actully disliked the Red system of VT2 A LOT, VT2 would have been MUCH better without reds.

And I have 1350 hours in VT2, got close to all reds on all characters, would have liked Darktides system in VT2 much more.

So far I have 600 hours into Darktide, and spent lots of money on it too, and it keeps me more interested in it then VT2 did! mostly because of it’s uniqe builds you can make and the way you keep working to make it better, with a bit of gamling with buying whites & upgrading them.

2 Likes