The Book of Grudges: May Each Be Struck in Time

Not so far as we’ve seen in the lore, AFAAIK.

Yes, on some worlds it’s even rather pleasant, comparatively speaking.

Most of the invasive totalitarian regimes of history only lasted a few generations at best before collapsing, with ample opportunities for the constituents to access information about the time before “Year Zero” from family members, teachers, old books that had been overlooked, people on the border with whom the regime necessarily has to trade, etc, etc.

The Imperium, to put it mildly, isn’t like that.

Yes, and…?

Being a prisoner doesn’t necessarily mean that you abandon all of the values that you had before you were imprisoned. Two of each of the non-Zealot classes (including the Psykers) are openly devoted to the Emperor, and are unlikely to take the Loners smack-talking about their God kindly (in fact, the Professional Veteran will actually threaten to shoot the Loner for blasphemy from time to time).

And of course, the Zealots go without saying. :wink:

Remove some of the Loners’ more abrasive, makes-you-wonder-why-they-don’t-go-over-to-the-Moebian-6th dialogue (alternately, dramatically increase the number of dialogues where their teammates threaten to kill them for being blasphemous, heretical assholes).

Look at Necromunda, and the wide variation in cults, gangs, outlaws, etc of all sorts of beliefs and creeds which represent mere fractions of a single underhive’s denizens. Despite having all the available tools on modern day earth and tens of thousands of years of history, I know of no cultures where juiced up cannibal cults wielding chain weapons have yet developed to clash with extravagantly attired splinter factions of ancient warrior amazon clans sporting exotic automatic weaponry for supremacy of the streets of large cities.

Worlds fall in and out of the Imperium all the time, sometimes cut off for thousands of years or forgotten and rejoined or reconquered millenia later. Hive cities of tens of billions can be so big and convoluted that entire cultures of untold millions can develop in isolation from the larger Imperial fold for hundreds of years.

There are also just things that are plainly absurd or rotten that everyone can see and understand aren’t working properly, and even the Imperium has it’s own visions of justice and honor. Sometimes the Imperium fights amongst itself about these things. The first war for armageddon was immediately followed by the space wolves going to war to keep armageddon’s refugees from all being hunted down by the big-bad meany Inquisition to prevent them talking about Angron’s romp-around, and the Ordo Malleus and Grey Knights just…give up in the end. The Inquisition has the writ to command the untold billions of regiments of the Imperial Guard and millions of Sector battlefleets, finds the single world of Fenris with its thousand Space Marines and couple dozen ships too tough a nut to crack apparently and the refugees too dispersed to pursue. It’s a painfully mary-sue story, but it’s long established lore.

Even the most ardent supporters of many of the most authoritarian and controlling regimes can find themselves opponents when they run into those regime’s uncaring machinations. That’s the core of much of the Horus Heresy story. Magnus was genuinely trying to do the right thing by the Imperium when he damned himself. The Iron Warriors just had had…enough, never having grand ideals of better societies or delusions of cosmic godhood. Fully half the entire original Space Marines turned traitor, genetically engineered psycho-indoctrinated warrior monks ended up looking at the Imperium and going “on second thought…hard pass”, and for ten thousand years there’s been a steady drip of Space Marines, up to entire Chapters, following suit for an array of different reasons.

I would suggest that smack talking blasphemers are exactly the types that tend to find themselves in the cells of the Inquisition, given death sentences, and thrown into suicide missions as expendable assets. That they’re not immediately and routinely killed by their own overzealous teammates for being mouthy can probably be explained by the fact that said teammates find themselves similarly made penitent, and they have literal divine orders from His Majesty’s Most Holy Inquisition to accomplish an objective and offing an asset without permission and endangering the mission tends to be frowned upon.

3 Likes

@FatsharkStrawHat

You have cooked well, but one thing:

Change Penetration of the Soul to: “+10% Rending on Warp-Attacks and Non-Warp Ranged Attacks when above 75% Peril.”

This way gun-psyker build variety is further incentivized.

Also: Add a line from Mind in motion to the blue node to the left of it, which gives cooldown on elite and special kill. Would be much appreciated.

React if you see! :smiley:

P.S.: I saw what you did with the Braced Autogun.

1 Like

Think you got the wrong thread, buddy.

7 Likes

Here’s a grudge for thought.

It takes a surprising amount of effort to actually start this game.

Gotta hit the desktop icon, wait for the launcher to load. Then click “play” on the launcher. Then have to hit “space” through several brand promo animations, then hit “space” again on a holding screen before you even start loading the character select screen and select a character to play.

That is a somewhat absurd number of discrete actions to have to take and wait for before getting to play the game, and is especially frustrating after a crash (which will also often present you with a report screen to deal that adds just that much more time to get back into the game even if you just close it). Thankfully there are mods that can help with this, it would be nice if there were a native way to at least skip the promo animations and holding screen and just let the launcher drive you directly to the character selection.

2 Likes

@FatsharkStrawHat

Oh and forgor: There seemed to be no mention of Sustained Fire (60% Toughness Regained and Ranged Weapon Instantly reloaded on Ability activation) for Executioner’s Stance.

Now with the spot opening from Relentless, I think that is well reasoned to return.

1 Like

you might want to dig up the QOL thread for that one.

1 Like

It had nearly fallen off the page and I’d forgotten it existed, I’ll repost there.

3 Likes

It is unfortunate so many mods are what I would consider necessary for this game. Especially for console players.

3 Likes

Necromunda’s population, IIRC, is supposed to be far larger than that of present-day Earth. As such, the level of variation in hive-gangs that we’ve seen isn’t particularly remarkable.

Which is not likely to result in the inhabitants’ situation improving.

Examples?

Yes, and we see this being articulated by the Savant Psykers and two of the three Zealot sub-types. It’s very different from the “I hate you all, go die in a fire” attitude of the Loner Psykers, who mostly sound like they’d be happier as cultists if that didn’t involve becoming a pustulent disease mutant.

I doubt that the Inquisition’s calculations were quite so simple.

That doesn’t appear to be the case with the Loners. They resent being feared and policed for the very real danger that they could become potential mobile spawn-points for daemonic incursion and petulantly turn this most excellently-justified cautiousness into a resentment against the Imperium as a whole, which clashes painfully with the attitudes of the other PCs, most of whom have been much more hard done-by by circumstance but still maintain a much more upbeat outlook.

Petty blasphemers like the Loner Psykers are more the province of the Ministorum, not the Inquisition.

Fixed. Also, doesn’t seem to be the case, given the Professional Veteran seems to fear no retribution for potentially shooting a Loner Psyker for blasphemy.

Divinity which the Loners deny LOL.

Many Commissars attached to Catachan regiments no doubt thought themselves similarly protected. Besides, it’s questionable how much of an asset a perpetually whining, crying, condescending Psyker with at best dubious loyalties and a giant superiority complex would actually be under the circumstances. Neither the Veterans nor the Zealots seem to like Psykers very much in the first place, and the Loners constantly trashing both the Guard and the Emperor would only exacerbate that hostility.

1 Like

Loner Psyker: (Breathes)
Me:

3 Likes

When I see another loner psyker called “BelovedEnjoyer”:

2 Likes

I called my fem-enforcer psyker Immaterium Girl. :nail_care: :wheel_of_dharma:

3 Likes

Slayyy :nail_care: :wheel_of_dharma:

What about Sienn’t the female Seer Psyker? :fire:

Nah, I’m just kidding… all four of my Archetypes are currently named “Emiliani” :it:

2 Likes

@FatsharkStrawHat

The upcoming suggested change to Swift Certainty is a mistake

The change is as follows:

Swift Certainty: Sprint Speed: 10% to 5%

Dev Note: The Dodging effect of Swift Certainty is already a very strong effect. We’re lowering the movement speed slightly.

The Dodging effect of Swift Certainty IS NOT very strong, since Stamina-Sprint-Dodging is not a strong effect, it works only when you sprint at an 86 degree or more angle to your ranged attacker. When there are multiple ranged attackers, this means that there is no reason to use Stamina-Sprint-Dodging when one can just spam sprint slides to evade, and not need Swift Certainty in the first place.

I would suggest backpedaling on this change, at least if this is the rationale.

Alternatively, you can fix sprint sliding, so that it isn’t the easy 80% of ranged damage nullification it currently is, this can be done by having sprint slides cost stamina and by having them not give an evasion effect when at 0 stamina.

And when this change is done, making the Stamina-Sprint-Dodging good by increasing the angle of dodging from 86 degrees to something like 45-50 degrees can offset the fix to sprint sliding.

Like if you see! :smiley:

Also, go check out: A Collection of Psyker change feedback and additions id you could :crossed_fingers: :smiley:

Why not put this in the patch notes thread?

2 Likes

It’s a grudge

It’s stupidly strong, you break attack lock-on just by sprinting. Have to say tho I’m pretty sure it’s bugged currently, so hopefully it will also get fixed in the next update.

IMO even without any speed boost it’s an incredible node when it works.

This isn’t from Swift Certainty. This is a game mechanic everyone can use.

Swift certainty directly impacts with this mechanic.
To quote kulis steam guide since i’m too lazy to explain it myself:

"Also allows to stay in is_sprint_dodging state when stamina is depleted. Usually, when dodging shooting enemies by sprinting around them with an angle[i.imgur.com] (the angle between look direction and the position of the enemy has to be at least 70°), the enemy will ultimately start hitting the player as soon as stamina reaches 0. The talent preserves the sprint dodging capability regardless whether the player has stamina or not.

Sprint dodging does not fulfill the on_successful_dodge proc condition of Dance of Death, Duellist, Good Balance, Inebriate’s Poise, and Second Wind.
"
There is even somewhat recent reddit discussion about this since no one seems to know what this thing does.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/1fcr33y/how_swift_certainty_really_works/

tldr this talent is massively overhyped.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, it must have been changed without documentation. It used to allow you to break attack lock-on for quite a few patches after the 13 release.