Space marines vs factions

Hi, new here and just came to say that the game is an absolute BLAST. I’m totally hooked. Only been playing it about 2 weeks but wow it’s a tonne of fun.

I adore the 40k universe and the darktide depiction/feel is the most authentic I’ve ever seen. Quite often I’m lagging behind the team because I’m simply looking around enjoying the art, especially at the map starts before the action begins. Usually a wonderful sense of scale at these points. A shame everyone seemingly wants to speed run everything lol. The weapons also sound/feel exactly how you expect them to. The crunchiness of the lasguns is really satisfying.

If fact I have had many instances whilst playing where I have thought “wow it feels like I’m playing one of the scenes depicted on the tabletop box covers etc”.

The thing I’m having most trouble with are the UI mechanics and menus. There’s just not enough explicit information. The gun stats are like looking at some sort of periodic table for witches. The simplest fix in the world would be to simply include a text information box that actually describes what on earth the currently selected menu functions or stats (on cursor roll-over?) does. Does the overall gun power value take all the other stats into consideration? Who knows! If it does then why do more valuable weapons have much lower final stats? It’s all very confusing. I shouldn’t have to search forum posts to find out what each menu option actually does. The game should tell me.

So that’s my biggest gripe. I’ve kind of worked out some of it from 2 weeks of guessing but really there needs to be more hand-holding in the menus.

Another thing is that there is no way to earn aquillas? Maybe but if so I haven’t a clue how.

Lastly, the reason I really came to the forum is to literally beg (yes beg) the developers for an expansion that sees a squad of space marines battle other factions like orks and eldar. The game would be PERFECT. it’s literally the perfect way to play as space marines… As a squad!! And in these gorgeous maps the team have carefully crafted would be sublime. I would totally trust the team to give space marines, orks and eldar the most legitimate representation and I couldn’t get more excited when I think about that possibility.

Including different chapters of space marines with loads of customisable cosmetics would part people with their money like no tomorrow lol.

I see not one singular reason not to seize that opportunity. The maps and gameplay are already there. Just some new skins, animations and balancing and hey presto you’ve created the most incredible 40k experience on earth.

Which brings me to my last suggestion (for a different game). Please make a Battlefield style game but in the 40k universe (and with all the factions not just the boring default chaos yawn that other developers go to). I’m getting deep vein thrombosis just thinking about the hours I would sink into a battlefield style 40k game. This dev team have won my respect and trust to get the job done. For the Emperor!

Thanks for reading :pray:

For me personally one of the appealing aspects of this game is to be some ordinary lowlife - and if they added new enemy factions (which I hope they’ll do) I want to face them again with nothing but a Lucius Mk II and a bayonet with some guts behind :wink:

That said - the upcoming SM2 will feature coop multiplayer so your dream will probably come true. I myself am very eager to slay tyranids in that game!

9 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I still love being the lowlife (the voice acting and writing is superb and often genuinely funny!) but having a bash at this game as a squad of space marines against a raging hord of Orks would be another level. I imagine it would need to be a standalone expansion as it would be too different to current gameplay/balancing. Obvs space marines would be like gods compared to our band of rabble.

Tyranids would be fun for sure. They were great in space hulk. I’d really love to see Eldar though as they’re sorely underrepresented and I think all their sound effects and animations etc would be really fun and unique. And they’d be fast!

SM2 is exciting but really DT has had me the most excited of any 40k game I’ve played and honestly I just want this exact game but with space marines. Dark Angles and Space Wolves would look so cool.

If they did make a battlefield style game, imagine getting in one of the space marine mechs. Salivating at the thought!

I hope they add more varied cosmetic character upgrades to DT. Current stuff is all great but it does all feel quite samey from what I’ve seen.

Dude, you are asking for them to make a complete another game. Just to reskin ogryn for space marine and crushers for orks will not work.

3 Likes

lol. I’m dying laughing here… perfect.

4 Likes

As I’ve already said, it would need to be a standalone expansion. That’s not an entirely new game. The core mechanics and maps, menus and matchmaking mechanics are all there. Skins, balancing, some new voice acting and a new map or 2… Then perfection would be the result.

Heck, they have all the bones of the game… If they did release a "new game"built on those bones, but with space marines… They could charge full price on launch I’d pay it without blinking.

You probably don’t understand the ammount of work it will take - completely new animations, cause current may not work for space marine model, and overall power armor animations, new weapons models, enemies models, animations, sound for all these things.

2 Likes

I worked in the games industry for over 15 years so yes I do understand. They are a games studio. It’s literally their job lol.

They’re not a mod team making it inbetween gigs :wink:

Boil it down to money if you want. Do you think everyone would buy a space Marine version of this horde game? Of course. It would fly off shelves.

Well, perhaps you wasn’t so good at your job. Cause even for a regular player it’s obvious you need a new animations rig, new sounds, etc, for every aspect, even new level design probably.

Ask yourself why they didn’t make it’s in a first place then. Then ask yourself why peak player count was 120k and now it’s 5k. Maybe, just maybe, there are core problems and things to fix, before making a Darktide 2 with space marines.

1 Like

You’re arguing for the sake of arguing.

“but then they have to do work!” is not a valid argument against it. Obviously they’d charge money for the expansion or standalone. That’s called business.

Your comment about my ability is petty.

I do see the potential in what you’re proposing here, but I must say that it just isn’t possible with Darktide at all.

Darktide is at its core a PvE horde shooter, not a Battlefield game set in the 40K Universe - but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t fork out a LOT of money for a Battlefield game set in the 40K Universe.

I personally have multiple ideas for video games set in the 40K Universe, but Darktide itself isn’t able to incorporate any of them.

I had this one idea for a 40K horror game that was heavily inspired by both Dead Space and Event Horizon. You play as an Imperial Navy engineer, but the vessel that you’re on has a Gellar Field failure in the introduction - this leaves you stranded on the vessel with Daemons and your main objective is to fix the Gellar Fields and escape.

Darktide DID have a Modifier that I really liked but they removed it very early on, it made the whole map almost pitch-black and the only way to see was to create light with your weapons, thus that modifier almost made Darktide into a horror game on the higher difficulties.

All of the above considered, most of us Darktide fans are the 40K fans who are sick and tired of Space Marines hogging all of the love compared to the Imperial Guard and so on and so forth. I just happen to be one of those people that thinks that Space Marines are a bit overrated.

Edits 1 and 2: I fixed some grammar and added a new paragraph.

3 Likes

Sorry I was getting excited, but my comment RE a battlefield game was an idea for a whole new game. Sorry if that wasn’t clear :pray:

1 Like

No, it’s that you don’t understand you are asking about completely new game and such thing can’t be just an expansion, because 90% of existed animations, sounds and models should be new, even orks ai. And balance aswell.

Perhaps you can share with us what project you were working on and what is your job was.

2 Likes

Long time ago I was suggesting a minigame where we all get kantreals, guard uniforms, and NOTHING ELSE, squad size is ‘bigger’ and we are inside an impenetrable guard bunker…

And the entirety of the game (again, minigame) is trying to do THIS… with chaos baddies.

Almost all the assets are already there, and as a minigame it could be put out pretty fast.

2 Likes

Basically mean making a whole new game, and Eldar do not work as a tide. Even against Custodes which would be the most appropriate to be hero against literal tides would be weird against a tide of them.

No thank you, even if they do make another tide 40k, I do hope they don’t chose SM cause that would mean way less variations, 4 SM is way less varied than being able to have a mix of Ogryn, Zealot, Psyker #, Veteran, or even other potential rejects (Tech Adept, Sister…).

Basically SM are fun, but they are over presented, lets be glad that we don’t have yet another SM game and just wait for SM2

1 Like

BTW, is this thread bait?

1 Like

By a SM fan ? Most likely not.

1 Like

No, don’t be so sensitive.

DT would still exist if they launched a DM squad version/game. I’m not suggesting they replace the game.

I’d also love this game with proper imperial guard regiments. That would also be awesome.

But anyone denying a squad game like this would be fun with SM must have some strange bees in the bonet.

Why not have both types of squad game. There’s room for both and I’d play both.

Still would mean taking Dev away from either Vt2, DT or their currently unnamed/unannounced projects.

That’s basically already doable.

To this I’ll pull out the answer I gave the previous thread that was about that subject:

2 Likes

Others ask for another Space Marine game, whilst I prefer to roleplay as a Squat in Deep Rock Galactic :sunglasses:

2 Likes