Onslaught Series Tournament Rebalance Mod

Hobo’s aura seems kind of unnecessary, tbh, for all the reasons you listed about why players don’t stick near hobo. It’s a mild increase to dps that no one’s really hurting for except maybe Ironbreaker.

2 Likes

I agree, I just wonder what would be best to do about it. If not an aura then it’s basically a copy paste of Merc’s passive which is… kinda lame. If it’s gonna be an aura though, shouldn’t it have a big enough zone for someone else on the team to get something out of it? Maybe it would be better to replace it entirely, but it’s also not like hobo himself doesn’t enjoy more scrounger procs and better swift slaying uptime. At the moment it’s kind of an aura that in practice isn’t an aura. Feels off to me.

1 Like

I’ll take a lot of blame for this one. I don’t really have a problem with BW dealing damage. It’s her utility and tankiness that make her such a problem. Excluding unnerfed coru build, I always felt that bolt BW was even better than famished builds in modded content. Being able to be super tanky, have high mobility with high stagger, is what made her so strong. Personally, I advocated for removing soot shield completely. I think ranged dps classes should be squishy. Leaving her tanky and making her do less damage would still leave her bolt build in place which is equally OP as famished.

7 Likes

Fair enough. That does make sense in the context of modded content.

On the topic of coruscation though, d’you think you might have gone a little too far with that nerf. Doubling heat cost while reducing duration to a third is cumulatively a hell of a nerf. When trying it out on Pyro (just Cata not modded, mind), it was hard to find a place where the primary fire wasn’t just a more immediate way to do practically the same thing.

Don’t get me wrong it absolutely needs a nerf, but 3 seconds is very little to play with for a weapon with a kind of area denial identity.

1 Like

I actually haven’t played it on BW yet. I think 3 seconds is absolutely fine though. For that level of damage, I think it’s appropriate to require constant casting. Otherwise, in live, you quickly cast a couple spells and then you can top damage by holding block. Whether the heat cost is too high or not I couldn’t say without play testing. My original recommendation was to make it 2 seconds without changing heat cost.

As far as pyro goes, left clicking was almost always better if you could keep killing specials. Pyro’s current toolkit allows for a lot of spamming with qq left clicks. I think that would be how you played the staff on Pyro regardless of nerfs, perhaps with an exception for spread out pink rat hordes.
I did a true solo with Pyro coru and it felt great.

Edits for autocorrect.

1 Like

Yeah fair enough. I agree with you about Pyro and primary fire, I’m always a little confused when people talk about BW using it since as far as I can see she has 0 synergy with it. The staff generally definitely feels excellent on Pyro with the mod, wouldn’t argue there.

I guess I would have preferred to see the damage output nerfed significantly and the duration a little higher than in the mod, so it retained a bit more of its original playstyle feel. I’m sure you’re right the alt fire is still plenty strong. I just thought it was fun being able to slap them down then fight around them, rather than sitting behind your frontliners spamming cast like you do with every other staff.

2 Likes

On Huntsman’s crit aura, the radius is so small it might as well be just for him.
The buff itself is nice for any build, but especially Repeater.

1 Like

I understand that for sure. But it seems like an issue to me that you can put them down and then continue meleeing or just holding block while the staff passively kills things. I think if that was the design it would need to have a much longer charge time to add some level of risk to the staff.

1 Like

I was thinking 3 second duration was a little heavy, but in the context of a DWONS tourney, you cast it once and you hit 20/30 rats, and it does fantastic damage whether its an insta cast or charged cast, and the charge isn’t long or even larger than the insta-cast from what I can tell. I love the idea of putting down static AOE and fighting enemies inside it, but something might be off if you can cast 20 of them as UC, rarely melee, and get top damage/top monster damage.

Off topic, I also don’t get the BW preference of Coru users, I just assume it’s because everything else about her is overtuned on top of the staff itself just being too good.

2 Likes

Yeah in the context of the Onslaught tourney I completely understand. Just wanted to voice my concerns about the approach of this nerf in case it makes its way into a base game balance mod further down the line, if that’s something the modder team tackles at a later date. In that scenario I think there are more creative ways the problem could be tackled without homogenising the staff with her other options eg longer cast time, a cap to how many geysers can be placed at once, a damage reduction, probably a combination therein.

3 Likes

This was the preferred fix. Unfortunately it’s either impossible or no one could figure it out. I do agree it’s the most elegant solution.

2 Likes

What a shame the game’s actual developers don’t get themselves more involved in this stuff :frowning:

I still think there might be some space to work with charge time and damage, but I’m not the main target for this specific mod so I’ll leave this issue be for now. Thanks again for putting so much work into balancing the things that FS haphazardly drops into the game.

2 Likes

after the tourney we’ll likely do a different version based on official content

6 Likes

Was anything changed in the recent update?

fixed typos and the bug (from official realm) with experimental ammo hoppers

2 Likes

Well unsurprisingly modded Battering Ram do be making mace n sword heavies even more dummy strong. Still feeling unsure about the talent overall though. Doesn’t feel very FK to me and the range of weapons I can see it being worth losing BoO for seems kinda small.

Maybe it’s good for hitting stagger breakpoints in modded I wouldn’t know, but yeah curious how other people have been using this talent and what the general feeling on it is.

What does feel Footknighty? Having a career skill that is more a handicap than a tool, or being a worse Merc?

Having Charge that is worth a dime and being able to dish some damage is rather nice, especially with DW, since the added stagger resistance redneck fixes the stagger overrides. It still happens, just not nearly as often.

The only shame is that indeed M&S is the main winner of the extra heavy damage. Hammer, Exe, Halberd, and even GS lack easy access to Crowd Clearer. Even with Longsword I kind of felt a pain in my gut when using the new Talent instead of Bull.

I really like the new Talent. It just, much like the whole GK tree, doesn’t promote each weapon equally, unlike plain attack speed.

Changing Crowd clearer to be activated somewhat different, so some other weapons have easier access, would probably solve that. If it was activated like Have at Thee, that would be more manageable for other weapons.

We all know the issues with FK Ult, but to be fair the modded version feels strong enough to compensate. While somewhat unreliable the amount of control FK Ult has in this mod is incredible. BoO is a dream to use.

I get your point though, and wasn’t saying FK shouldn’t get damage talents, I just find this particular talent a bit unwieldy, while doing a bit too much for an already overtuned attack (mace n sword heavy). You seem to fairly well agree with this much judging by the rest of your comment.

I’m not sure I’m a fan of changing crowd clearer’s condition. With the increased duration in the mod I tend to find the pushes come pretty naturally at those intervals to have good uptime with any weapon. I think Battering Ram itself ought to be tweaked here if anything to make the boost less insane for M+S and a bit more beneficial for the preferred combo strings of other weapons. That said I don’t currently have a suggestion.

My thoughts on the Foot Knight changes:

• Aura change seems good and reasonable.

• I’m not a fan of wide charge’s entire effect being the base ult. Pushes FK further into ignoring Deathwish for the whole team. I’m fine with the base ult going through elites and being wider, but I just don’t think it needs to be that wide to be relevant on Onslaught+.

• Why was Have At Thee buffed? Doesn’t this just make it nearly a passive power boost on ons+? FK can take one hit from a Skavenslave to reduce ult cooldown to 15s (30 damage). FK hit trades minor hits pretty safely. Remember, hit trading is less something done on purpose, but rather something you let happen by playing more recklessly. That’s how it works easily.

• The changes to Crowd Clearer makes it less clunky which is good, but as someone that’s used it a lot I can say 4 seconds would have been fine. The talent is meant to encourage relatively frequent pushing.

• 50% power for charged attacks is a lot, but it’s for 6 seconds and only for charged attacks so it’s probably fine. Gives FK a way to deal some burst damage to elites which is good. Not easy to hit headshots with Exec on knocked over elites (only matters for the first few seconds but it’s a relevant disadvantage), so I think Mace & Sword wins this one unfortunately, especially since Exec’s light attack’s cleave is pretty bad on C3, which makes picking it outside of Merc and GK risky (can’t cleave SV on FK except when they’re staggered). Bretonnian Longsword should work very well with it because of the Inspiring Blow synergy.

– I think Numb to Pain should make attacks uninterruptible by damage for 5 seconds in addition to its base effect.

– In my opinion It’s Hero Time is silly for how easy it is to get value from. Excessively safe. Adding wide charge as base makes it stronger. It’s basically a turn off disablers talent for a team which is goofy on ons+.

– Friendly reminder – Inspiring Blow effects FK’s ult as well as allies. From testing with a stagger shield build FK’s ult reaches roughly 12 seconds by the time the new 50% power buff runs out by chaining shield bashes. Roughly 14 seconds for Bretonnian Longsword (both without taking damage).

Possible Bug
The 50% power from the new talent doesn’t reapply if you ult again while it’s still active.

2 Likes

What changed in the latest update? Looks like Wide Charge was changed to all melee attacks? Couldn’t spot anything else, a changelog might be a helpful thing to include in the mod changes doc.

2 Likes