Mechanicus Theorycraftin'

Saw a post in a thread here some time ago about some kind of mechanicus leak and while that’s probably BS, it got me thinking, so here’s a rough write-up of the skills a mechanicus character might have. I think we’re stuck with four classes for the rest of forever, but it’s fun to think.

• Default Blitz: Nanite/Scrapeater Grenade: Throwable concussion grenade that slightly staggers enemies in radius and inflicts Brittle. Upgrading increases radius.

• Alt Blitz 1: Deny Access: Place a powerful mine that detonates in a large and powerful explosion when enemies walk over it, but takes a while to arm after placing.

• Alt Blitz 2: Rebound: Throw a fast, seeking projectile that seeks out and prioritizes Specials and Elites, dealing solid damage and knocking them down. Heavier elites are unaffected by the knockdown and take less damage. Does enough damage to one-shot a trash mob, and regains charges through ammo pickups.

• Default Aura: Well-Oiled/Like Clockwork: You and allies in coherency gain 2.5/5% attack speed.

• Alt Aura 1: Deadly Calculations: You and allies in coherency deal an additional +15% Critical and Weakspot damage.

• Alt Aura 2: Hotfix: Whenever you or a player in coherency kill an enemy, that player regains 1% Toughness. Individual toughness gain on kills isn’t applied to the whole team, so your buddy Eric won’t benefit from that rampage you’re going on.

• Default Active Ability: Overclock/Power Surge: Target a teammate, or yourself if no teammates are selected. Receive a bonus equivalent to red and blue stims for 7.5 seconds. Upgrading increases effect of buffs by 50%. Add-ons allow it to either always affect self as well or grant damage resistance during effect.

• Alternative Active Ability 1: System Sweep: Deploy a servo-skull that automatically marks Specials and Elites in a 30m radius for 30 seconds. While active, all marked targets take +10% damage.

• Alternative Active Ability 2: Quarantine: Deploy a turret that fires enemies in the direction it’s facing when you play it. Lasts 20 seconds, but destroyed early if it takes too much damage. Add-ons allow it to be thrown to a location instead of planted in front of you and granting it 360 degree vision, and an additional add-on on that side grants it 50% damage resistance. The other side of the add-on pathing increases fire-rate, and the extra for that lets it shoot rockets.

What do y’all think?

3 Likes

Lots of fun ideas, and nothing I’m opposed to at least initially.

Would love an upgrade for this that allows it to do a hacking mini game for you, or scan 1-2 objectives for you. Obviously only situationally useful based on the mission, but I think it would be a great way to emphasize their technical ability in a gameplay way whole also being useful for the team.

2 Likes

Have no particular ideas, just inbuilt archetypes i would like to see:

• Biologis - hard support, buffs and heals

• Engeensier - turrets, servo skulls, mines

• Skitarii

• Electropriest as a DLC in the future maybe

2 Likes

Lest I forget the three personalities:

• Nice: The Alchemist: Someone who’s always looking to try the next little addition, they eagerly trade away flesh and bone for the future. They encourage their teammates to try it out, often to disgusted decline, but never really lose their spirit.
  • Mean: The Purist: Absolutely despises the meatsacks for unjustly prosecuting them without having a word with the Mechanicus first. Virulent hatred for anything remotely resembling meat, and thus a purifying hatred of Nurgle. Only tolerates their teammates because they see them as tools to manipulate.
  • In-Between: The Miscrafted: Someone who wanted to be part of the Mechanicus but hadn’t the standing to be recognized, they took it upon themselves to do DIY cybernetics, with predictable results. Their malfunctioning technology often results in rapid mood swings, even multiple times in the middle of a sentence, but their combat prowess is not to be underestimated. Maybe they also have a Beloved? The Omnissiah?
1 Like

Why not have a servoskull as a blitz? It could have a cooldown instead of a limit. I like the idea that it could do hacking and/or scanning objectives when activated, that’d actually be kind of nice.

The scan ult is neat, too, but something I was thinking (which was somewhat similar) was an actual mini-map. Zoomed in a bit, but it shows you red dots of enemies approaching you. It doesn’t tell you what they are, only that something is there. Upgrades would let it also show pick-ups on the map or something to that effect, or temporarily highlight shooter enemies in the actual world (anything to make them show up in the freakin dark).

Also, as a personality I’d love to see one who doesn’t really believe in the religious side of the Mechanicus, but simply loves technology. It’s a perfect reason for them to be ‘reject’ and would be a big change from the others.

1 Like

From an Admech archetypes I would see:

Branch 1: Skitarii (Ranged focused)

Blitz: Phosphor Blast Pistol
Phosphor Pistol that has an AoE that augment weak point damage on enemies in the AoE.
Gain back ammo from normal ammo pack instead of grenade boxes

Ability:
Ranged stance, instead of buffing speed or giving aiming aids, would increase weapon power and give rad DoT to them.

Branch 2: Sicarian

Blitz: Arc Grenades
Grenades that throw bolts of electricity, which will jump from armoured enemy to armoured enemy

Ability: Mindscrambler Protocol
Short cooldown/multi charge shout that will stagger enemy and increase weak point damage they take.

Branch 3:

Blitz: Guardian Skull
Throw up a Servo Skull armed with a Stubber, it will then follow you around while shooting targets that you ping or elites/special that are close by

Ability: Servo Thrall
Summon a pair of melee Servitor equiped with Servo Claws, can be upgraded to Heavy Stubber Servitor or Power Claw Servitor

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.