Massive FPS drops

You need to go to your “user_settings.config” file found at %appdata%\Fatshark\Vermintide 2 and open it with notepad.
Change your “particles_capacity_multiplier” in the “user_settings.config” file to 0.2 then change the file to “read only” or you will lose all your settings because the game will change them back to default if you dont do this.
You will have to manually change the workerthreads and screenmode everytime you start the game up but that shouldnt be an issue and you will also get a “warning” saying that your settings have been changed back to default but it isnt true and you can ignore it.

Unfortunately changes in the grafx system did barely anything. And I tested a lot! Lags still occur.
Of course performance increases (very) slightly, but: the lower the settings, the more “other strange graphical bugs/glitches” occurred! Like gritty textures vibrating on the floor and walls for an example.

Before patch 1.5 everything ran smoothly on extreme settings.

Edit1: I googled every changeable setting to understand what it does (like auto exposure, etc…) and decreased every parameter, played a game to see the actual change. I couldn’t optimize it so far to get a stable framerate back up.
Maybe I missed something.
I would gladly know what FS changed during the latest patches.

Edit2: What might enhance performance for “MSI” users: deinst., oder disable “MSI Live Update”. When this game came out I had some issues with that. Whilst running in the background, sometimes it took up to 35% CPU usage!

It’s amazing that in every successive patch you manage to de-optimise the game even further.

8700k overclocked to 5GHz per core with 1080Ti on all lowest graphics settings apart from particles set to low instead of lowest cannot maintain 120fps at 2560x1440. That is some amazingly pathetic optimisation.

Saw this today, any chance it might be part of the issue for some people? https://www.pcgamer.com/a-recent-windows-10-update-is-hurting-game-performance-and-messing-with-mice/

Basically, there are reports of performance issues for some games in the wake of the February Windows 10 update (The Windows 10 February update came out on Feb 12th, 6 days before patch 1.5). Microsoft is working on it, but in the meantime, going back to a previous build might help. Not sure if it’s the cause of some people’s issues, though you can go back to a previous Windows 10 version by doing the following.

To go back to an earlier build of Windows 10, open Start Menu > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
For reverting to a previous Windows 10 build, If a period of 30 (though just checked and it claims 10 days) days has passed after you installed the new build or if you deleted the Windows.old folder, you may not be able to go back.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s interessting! “6 days before” is also quite close!
Have you tried it yet?

Thanks for posting this!! Maybe we do have a solution here!

So upgrading seems to have done nothing.

I’m now playing on the highest settings and I have screen freezes and fps drops during hordes to ~30.

2 Likes

RIP…

Can you post your new Rigs stats?

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX X470-F GAMING (AM4, AMD X470, ATX)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (AM4, 3.70GHz, Unlocked)
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX (16GB, DDR4-3000, DIMM 288)
GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 Twin X2 (8GB, High End)

Game not on SSD

But that doesn’t matter or at least not really. I have never been able to nail anything of this down to hardware.

Symptomes:

• DX11
    Massive fps drops mostly during hordes.

• DX12
    huge fps drops mostly during hordes.
    Screen freezes of various length and rhythm. These also wary from game to game. One can have non another can have 0.1-3s freezes every 5-10s. The cpu drops to 0% during a freeze.
    Time lapses
    Should the game take 100% read/write it will increase the issues intensively. The game bugs out from time to time and takes 100% read/write period.

DX12 used to run better for me that’s why DX11 issues are not that in depth.

1 Like

Compared to before my upgrade the game runs worse:

Fps during hordes dropped from 40 to 30 and screen freezes as well as speedups and slowdowns have returned just as stated above.

BUT I have only testet things out on the ~highest settings and I played on ~medium before.
So the additional fps drops could very well be caused by the additional load but the return of the freezes might show that some of the settings I lowered before might have strong connections to it.
And it shows that this is by far not an issue caused by a too weak cpu or any other outdated parts.

1 Like

@Fatshark_Hedge @FatsharkJulia

I know last time I spoke to a game Dev, he said he couldn’t figure out what the issues would be without giving us a custom loader or something? Is that still an option? Do you guys have a version we could run so you can collect data?

1 Like

I’m really happy for you because you have new hardware… but god damn it feels so crushing to hear that VT is stuttering on such a good configuration… Especially because I’m planning to buy that exact mobo or its successor when the 3rd gen Ryzen comes out.

Can we write a thread like Haxorzist Map Dumpster one? This one is also good, I think, where we compile a list of rigs, drivers versions frame rate during defined situations, is this something useful for developers?
Does exist a tool to record stream of data useful for debugging/testing the engine? Like disk/mem io r/w flow and cpu/gpu data?
Would be nice have a direct report/answer/proposal/request from the engineers, just to not keep wasting our time.

It’s a good idea Azaroth. Let’s do that. A collective thread with dxdiags of players experiencing the specific issue - and their issue described as clearly as possible so we can identify trends.

2 Likes

http://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/fps-drops-stutters-and-your-dxdiags/31170

4 Likes

Smoker - I’ll speak with the engine team about the build. I’m a little out of the loop

2 Likes

ty for the prompt answer!
probably would be useful having also the not problematic ones, marked as good, so to have a reference.
And add the game config file to the stutter/frame rate report.
Would be useful also define the situations, like
alone inside the fortress, outside the fortress, without any mod, inside a map, what map, where. probably even using the mod (I forgot the name) for spawning controlled queue would be useful.
I mean it’s fine getting all this data, but probably defining a method before doing would create less noise to be filtered.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.