KNOWN ISSUE: Crashing at Random, Due to GPU-Related Errors

Before I had to set mesh_streamer to true to keep game running without crashes( It acually works! and running with 14 working threads and dlss on under win11 )
In exp branch, I managed to run game without crash even if I leave mesh_streamer untouched which is set to false.
I guess sth must be fixed.
Carry on Devs! DK is still an immersive game with great potential , just fix the problem and move to new content stage! Ppl will come back!

And also, Devs, considering DK needs a lot of loading in gaming procedure, will you merge win11 new tech DirectStorage into game?

Crash type >> gpu hang >> /Crash type
same crash on newest experimental build

console-2023-02-02-17.21.25-47e618a7-6a98-4f2f-87dd-68204660fb9b.log (274.4 KB)
crash_dump-2023-02-02-17.21.25-47e618a7-6a98-4f2f-87dd-68204660fb9b.dmp (823.1 KB)

Made no difference at all, still crashing. No surprise there though.
Can you not sort something out where you can speak to Steam to authorize refunds over the time limit as this is beyond a joke.

GUID: 5f24638e-e61e-49ee-918a-59a63c24921f
Log File:
Info Type:

3 Likes

GUID: 1501b0e7-8ca9-40d5-aa48-82b4713fe265
Log File:
Info Type:

I’m using the experimental bulid with no crashes but with an anoying bug, no portraits, weapons or equipment is showing in the menus, only the text is displayed.

I am having the same issue. Beta build, no portraits, icons on weapons or equipment. Everything is dark except for the text. Seriously, Fatshark?

Same issue as the two posts above me. It was working great till some small update this morning

I switched to the experimental branch, and I am also missing the icons. I tried deleting the http cache, and then the entire settings folder but the icons are still missing.

ex:

The current experimental have no portraits. It’s part of the experiment. I should have probably mentioned this. But this is the nature of the experimental build. I experiment and see what works. Since this GPU hang can’t be reliably reproduced in a controlled environment I need to go wide and block out parts of the engine which we suspect. Currently it has lead us to the portrait rendering system and I want to verify that it helps by disabling this system completely. Currently only one part of it is disabled, which is why I still can see some hangs comming in. But I’m planning on disabling the other part as well and see if that does it. Then we know where to dig in and figure out what is going wrong.

4 Likes

New build deployed where only portraits are disabled. Weapons and cosmetics should be back on this one.

2 Likes

We have released a new update on the experimental branch in Steam with potential stability improvements for those experiencing GPU-related crashes.

Please be aware that PLAYER PORTRAITS are disabled in this build, and will appear blank.

PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW FULLY! THANK YOU.

1. Open the Steam client
  2. Right-click Darktide in your Steam library
  3. Select ‘Properties’
  4. Select ‘Betas’
  5. Enter the password cTYPtKTsfMDsLHAV
  6. Select ‘Check Code’
  7. Select the ‘None’ dropdown, and experimental - Experimental Builds should now be within the list
  8. Select experimental - Experimental Builds
  9. Close the pop-up window
  10. A download should now start
  11. Play!
  12. Post here to let us know the outcome

1 Like

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can investigate your issue properly.

Issue Description:
Was playing multiplayer psycher. Graphics locked up, game crashed. Reload has audio issues, including missing and delayed audio and no sound for player character.

Crash Report (If Applicable):
[Please see instructions on how to provide a crash report in the pinned Topic]
GUID: fe05ef91-964d-4293-b59c-e3b58653f2c3
Log File:
Info Type:

Error Displayed (If Applicable):

Steps to Reproduce:
[Please add the steps that can help our QA department in reproducing the issue. For example:]
Semi random, unable to consistantly duplicate.

1. Play Chasm Logistratum as Ogryn (Skullbreaker)
  2. Attempt to pick up the second Grimoire
  3. Crash

Mission Name (If Applicable):

Platform:

Steam
Player ID:

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
[MM/DD/YYYY, 00:00AM/PM] [TIMEZONE]

Reproduction Rate:
Once - Rare (<10%) - Unusual (<25%) - Common (<50%) - Often (<75%) - Constant (100%)

Upload Supporting Evidence:
[Screenshots, recordings, links to Twitch VODs, etc.]

Upload Console Log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here

Upload darktide_launcher.log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ‘OK’
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here

Interestingly enough after NO PORTRAIT update in experimental branch i haven’t crashed once in 5 hours.
Before that game crashed usually every other match, sometimes even more. 90% of my crashes were in 3 seconds after mission loaded, 10% randomly throughout the mission.
I use 4090+5800x3d, all max settings + raytracing, DLDSR 2.25x (almost 6k resolution) and frame generation.
Played 200+ hours and tried every method to negate crashes, none of them worked. The closest i was to stopping them was after disabling HAGS (Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling) in windows 11. It drastically improved frequency of crashes, but brought stutters, and without HAGS there is no way to enable 40xx series frame generation, so i turned it on again.
Going to play more with “no portrait” experimental branch to understand if it was just placebo.

1 Like

This is working great so far! On live branch, I will crash 100% of the time if i sit on operative select for too long, particularly during the first game load of the day.

Was able to launch the game and sit on operative select for a good 5 minutes with no crash.

Will update this post with my status after playing a few games!

• operative select crash seems to be completely gone
  • no other crashes in the ~5 hours of games
  • Quite a few games did disconnect shortly after the loadout screen countdown finished, but did not crash

console-2023-02-05-05.58.51-3b35b585-151c-4838-b461-ea677f3b5a9b.log (322.5 KB)

darktide_launcher.log (187.6 KB)

For how long test will continue? Will you force non-portrait build to live for more testing subjects? No crashes so far.

Update: 1.0.22 (Experimental Build)
2/4/2023
Same Crash Problem. But not crashing as frequent.

Console Log:
console-2023-02-04-17.32.54-c9f68371-a1df-4b14-99e4-15d80a591917.log (585.1 KB)
launcher.log:
crash_dump-2023-02-04-17.32.54-c9f68371-a1df-4b14-99e4-15d80a591917.dmp (1.1 MB)

Played approximately 4 games on experimental build tonight, zero crashes. Previously, would crash almost every time upon load-in to a match (sometimes twice), and often crashed upon loading back into the Morningstar. Good improvements so far, will circle back should any crashes happen!

2 Likes

About 6 hours played with the most recent exp beta…no crashes. This is with higher than before graphics settings applied and 13 worker threads active.

Better than before, not played enough to consider it fixed, but it’s better.
console-2023-02-05-08.21.20-f8ab23ce-25f6-46f4-931d-ea5d852f2cc3.log (371.7 KB)

2 Likes

I’ve been on the experimental for like a month with barely any crashes. Went back to the main branch today cuz broken avatars and I crash almost every match.

1 Like