Is it too late for a healthy base of console players?

I made a previous post in January, asking if console players had been scammed. However I didn’t actually think we were scammed, I was really just frustrated how misleading FatShark was towards console players. As mentioned in my previous post, I preordered the game August 2022 when the release date was still set for September 13th. Here we are in late April 2023 with no playable version on consoles. All of the hype for consoles to receive this type of game at this quality seems to be gone. Personally, any hope I had of console players finally receiving some respect from devs who make fantastic PC games has fled. It feels like the console version has been thrown in the closet and forgotten about. I understand the PC version has to be able to function before any efforts towards a console version can work, but it seems to me to be negligent towards a supposed base of players who have received little to no communication on when we can expect to play this game, especially after allowing us to spend our money on preordering the game and supporting the development.

2 Likes

So far console releases from Fatshark in the Tide series always came half a year to a full year later.

I certainly still remember how long Vermintide 2 was as dead as a mouse in terms of updates because Fatshark’s programmers were working on the console release.

So my answer to the question: Is it too late for them? Probably not. But then it also depends on a number of other factors:

1. How many would buy this game on console and play it continuesly there?

2. Will the console version have crossplay with all the other versions?
    We can realistically deduct that the Xbox Version will have full cross-play with the Gamepass PC version. And we know that Fatshark ideally would like to have Crossplay between Steam and Gamepass.
    If all three are compatible with each other, that would be the best solution obviously. Currently Gamepass players are at a strong disadvantage.

1 Like

cross play between systems seem unlikely when cross play on the same system isn’t even a thing

referring to steam and gamepass ofc.

3 Likes

I think there’s a slight possibility that Xbox gamepass might have crossplay with Xbox console but even so I can’t see a thriving console playerbase for any of Fatshark’s games with how long it takes them to work on updates and ports on top of the games not being very controller-friendly.

Well, I’m going by what Catfish said the other day in Discord. They ideally want to have cross-play for Gamepass and Steam. Didn’t believe it at first, either.

Summary

13.04.2023:

“Is there any plans to add crossplay between xbox game pass and steam? And if so have they been delayed for the time being?” -Wilmer

“There are plans for crossplay, I can’t give you an ETA on when you can expect it just yet but as soon as I can i’ll be sure to communicate it!” -FatsharkCatfish

So yeah. It’s in the books. Steam + Gamepass crossplay.
No ETA. And no guarantees. But they will surely work on it, if Catfish gave that statement. She is only allowed to say what the devs tell her.

4 Likes

I don’t recall any pre-order bonuses so you could look at cancelling/refunding it. It’s already gone on sale for PC 20% off (not the greatest sign). I think there are major core gameplay issues with the game. Maps, crafting, loot, progression, siloing, character customization, etc. I think if they want to try and get some good positive reviews they should address the widely criticized components of their game. But what do I know.

Console peasants eating last as it should be.
THIS IS A JOKE.

The reality is, almost certainly, that the reason darktide is so content dry on PC is because everyone is hard at work making a console port. Frankly the game we are playing is just a testbed to ensure the console launch goes well.

3 Likes

Catfish specifically denied this, but it would fit their release pattern.

One thing, though: They did release a few patches already.
Back in VT2 days they went SILENT MODO on the game for a full year.

3 Likes

There were surprise hotfixes every now and then, but the pattern still fits.

We already got a content addon and another one will come in May. It’s different from last time.

I don’t really count things already in the game (assets, vestigial code, etc.) and then “released” to really be content drops. More like, “frantically finishing what we already have”.

5 Likes

working on a console port is the main reason darktide has been such a big failure so far. its too bad they have to make it for console otherwise we would have had such a better game and 3 or 4x the playerbase on pc. no way console adds 3x the playerbase needed to match that and its still gonna be a worse game regardless based on the console version of VT2 where they just had to reduce the overall spawns making it a boring game.

Gamepass to Xbox is usually much simpler than Gamepass to Steam.

And we know they plan to have Ste to Gamepass

Fatshark have a lot of plans, and a lot of “we’re definitely working on it but no ETA”

I never really thought of it that way but that’s a certainly interesting way of putting it. I would hope that’s not what’s going on because as the game state is I would rather them commit to the PC version rather than using it as an experiment for the console. What gets me with FatShark is the lack of clear communication. At this point the trust the community has for them is little to none, but furthermore when they do communicate it is often confusing as to what to actually expect.

1 Like

true but
these ‘content’ patches feel like
them trying to look busy while
really working on the console port

You could claim you were scammed if you lost your money, you can cancel your pre-order at any moment. Software industry in general. Gaming especially has a fairly…“liberal” ideas about what they promise and what and when they deliver as an acceptable, in their mind, product. This is not news to anyone.

The game is a dumpster fire on PC, and I’m sure you aware of it. The game is nowhere close finished, its unstable for many and suffers from poor fps performance. Fatshark would be smart to not release it on consoles at all, until they have something to show. You think Cyberpunk 2077 was bad? Just wait for Darktide console release. Fatshark is barely able to deliver basic fixes and drop feed content on PC atm. These impatient demands and posts won’t speed up anything.

What do you think would happen if they were also attempting to deliver content and fixes for TWO more platforms, with all the console performance isssues?

I am honestly fearing for this games future at this point. This game was supposed to make fatshark a household name. They had so much merch made for this game there is even a hot sauce line for this game. I am the last of my friends playing this game daily. If you go off vermintides console launch its usually a year and half out from initial release.

I have had my fill. What I paid for it, paid multiple times over in decent entertainment, despite all the issues, limited content and some terrible design decisions.

Compared to VT2, the way Darktide was released, the whole “live” service philosophy, is a disaster and its bound to hit their bottom line. Especially with the present pace of the development. Can Darktide have a decent redemption arc? Sure, but atm that arc is getting longer and longer.

2 Likes

seeing the DArkfall launch, definitely not too late

1 Like