Darktide console release

Is this still planning on coming to console? And if so is there a projected release date?

Planning, yes, date, no, continued development of PC version, delayed because of most resources diverted to porting.

1 Like

That is the info we have right there

3 Likes

considering how badly this game runs, you should use date of next gen xbox release as estimator when DT will be on console.

4 Likes

Most players on Xbox will just play it on GamePass subscription.

At current state after a few hours they’ll realise it does not warrant full outright purchase. Bit of research on forums, steam reviews, steam discussions will judge decision to reinforce further.

Xbox console version won’t sell well as outright purchase. They’re just hoping for good return monetary wise from Microsoft on putting their game on Game Pass.

1 Like

They might also be contractually obligated to go through with the XBOX release as part of getting it on the MS game store for PCs in the first place. It’s entirely possible they realize the game wasn’t in a good state and would’ve just ditched a console release entirely if left to their own devices - but are contractually obligated to do it at this point.

I honestly can’t imagine that pushing for a console release is financially prudent for Fatshark given the technical challenges with the game on PC as well as the need to revamp many of the gameplay designs.

Seems like the better strategy would’ve been to stay fully focused on PC and get a good pipeline of improvements and content going, and leverage the intended “live service” delivery as a revenue source and THEN work on the console release when the game is in a better state.

If they release the console version of the game later this year (I’m thinking November time frame ahead of the holidays) without much more content and with the game’s many pain points still in play, I don’t think the game will be successful on console and it will be even dead’er on PC by then.

2 Likes

I would agree, except that Xbox Gamepass is frustratingly plagued with horde shooter alternatives that simply aren’t up to snuff.

VT2 is hobbled the way we are all familiar with. Payday 2 is an absolute shadow of the game it could have been due to a total lack of support from the developer on console. Back 4 Blood never made it. World War Z didnt maintain a playerbase. Halo Infinite never got Firefight back and has been plagued with, frankly, a Fatsharkian development cycle anyways.

Darktide will feel good. And given that it’s already been paid for, it’ll grab a playerbase and keep it. As much as I honestly despise admitting it, if Fatshark can actually swing a console release that functions, it’ll do just fine so long as they keep up on followup content. Trust me, I’m on that platform. Darktide was practically built for it.

Do you think they intend to mix console + PC players given the cross-play platform?

I’ve played Darktide a few times using a controller just for the heck of it - and it’s totally not my bag. There’s a mechanical skill ceiling on controller and I’d hate to end up carrying console players through damnation, but I can see Fatshark wanting to keep the player pool bigger too.

Sometimes we buy games not because we like them, but when there isn’t much alternative I’ll settle for lesser evil. Payday 3 I 'll probably buy it, even if it is more of the same the formula still works and Payday 2 player count shows it has been working for years. Yea it will probably be microtransaction and DLC spam, but lack of FPS coop PvE these days it would be a fun void to fill.

I would say unlikely. No mention of it therefore not likely to happen. Took them months to get cross digital store platform Steam and MS store, they announced it and made it happen. Nothing said about Xbox and PC, so I would say unlikely.

Just like many games if there was then they would do as other FPS do, probably add aim assist and 180 quick turns feature etc to compensate. If they’re really proactive they’ll make mouse and keyboard native support to console just like Warzone and Apex Legends console versions have.

Yea it does feel they are obligated, so it’s like whatever state just fulfil that requirement and push it out then think about what to do about lack of maps later.

Warhammer is a very niche segment of players who are into the lore but also the games. Mainly PC players. So for console they’ll have to aim to market it as a good PvE coop game mainly and not rely on the Warhammer name in it.

1 Like

I absolutely do. Other titles like Chivalry saw big revivals with cross platform play and Xbox loves promoting crossplay between their xbox and PC titles. I think they wouldn’t be working so hard on the console port if they weren’t gonna try to make it work, to be honest.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.