Ideas for Improving/Re-Working Crafting

I will link this topic since it is the most recent I could find but the last post there was in early July and a lot has happened to the game since then. Crafting…so I was thinking of ideas

As I stated in my topic concerning how to implement red items and how said items might look stat-wise, it became clear quite quickly there is a deeper concern that needs to be addressed before such potentially new and interesting items can be added: The “Crafting” System

In short: the system is nothing like what they promised and you can barely call it a crafting system at all, at best it is a modification system and a bare-bones one at that.

A list of aspects that need to change based on what was spoken about in my other topic:

1. RNG: there are too many layers of it and not enough ways for players to counteract bad RNG via crafting
  2. Locks: nobody likes them (this is almost unanimous) and we need some way to get rid of them
  3. Blessing Acquisition: is not what was promised and frankly sucks as-is
  4. Perks: with the new system there is no real reason for tiers 1-3 to exist, get rid of them
  5. Weapon Stats: It sucks having to roll the weapon shop slot machine hundreds if not thousands of times just to get a 380 with good stat distribution only for the above problems to render it less than it could have been.
  6. Weapon skins/transmog: Yes, they now are monetizing skins, fine (they did that in VT2) but give us more than red or blue skins for our weapons that we can earn
  7. Beyond level 30: You get nothing from the continued experience gain after 30, that should change.

Some starting ideas for how to address each of these:

RNG: This will hopefully just be mitigated outright by making the appropriate changes to

Locks: Many have suggested and I agree that a resource should be used to break locks. Obviously they want locks to be in the game and I think that is fair, but a resource used to break one lock once on a weapon would still make locks relevant without completely destroying a good weapon stat-wise with undesired perks/blessings.

Maybe that is a new resource, like points for handing in your gear to Hadron or maybe it is just a cost in diamantine, doesn’t matter that can be worked out more later as ideas start to form a whole picture.

• ALTERNATIVELY: Instead of making locks the enemy, make locks our friends. Each weapon gets two locks between perks and blessings, that’s it, and you choose where they go. The locks prevent re-rolling of perks/blessings through the upgrade process, potentially saving you materials at the end where you will be able to adjust things for material costs. The catch? You are stuck with those locks. This may seem like it sucks but the following changes to perks and blessings will make it make a bit more sense why this may be good (specifically just lock-in the two perks you want if they come up and don’t lock the blessing unless you luck out and it is one you want). Other games have done a similar concept, this is a bit more involved that the first suggestion but ultimately give more player agency and the option to simply have no locks at all and just pay the cost later to get exactly what you want.

Blessing Acquisition: We were promised the ability to upgrade blessings from low tiers to higher tiers by stocking up blessings with Hadron, that never happened. Some may argue that isn’t needed because you can just get the higher tier blessings but as someone with about 300 hours I can tell you I am missing a lot of the tier 3 and 4 because I don’t have the resources to upgrade stuff purely to hand it in.

We should be able to do what was promised, hand in a weapon and store the blessing of our choice from it. Two tier 1 makes a tier 2, three tier 2 makes a tier 3, 4 tier 3 makes a tier 4. Simple and fair progression. Yes, it requires a lot of items (24 tier 1 for a tier 4 if my math is right but I suck at math) but that is perfectly fair and doesn’t actually take all that much time, certainly less time that waiting on the RNG lotto to give you the blessing you want but you can still get lucky and skip this grind. That is good RNG, what we have is bad RNG that forces you to rely only on RNG with not a lot you can do about it, this would help.

Now, those chances obviously are not final just easy starting points I think are fair, these of course being for a weapon generated at that tier, not upgraded. Upgraded gear will just have whatever blessing it had before it upgraded (or if using the alternative locking will be weighted 70/30 in favor of keeping the existing blessing) unless it should gain a new blessing in which case it will roll as below (this more-or less falls in-line with how it currently works, which is perfectly serviceable).

For randomly generated gear:

• White: No blessings, obviously
  • Green: No blessings, obviously
  • Blue: one blessing random tier weighted tier 1 (30%), 2 (40%), 3 (20%), 4 (10%)
  • Purple: one blessing random tier weighted tier 1 (10%), 2 (30%), 3 (40%), 4 (20%)
  • Orange: two blessings, each of random tier weighted tier 1 (5%), 2 (15%), 3 (40%), 4 (40%)
  • Red:(that’s right with this new system they make sense) two blessings both max tier for their type, a third tier 5 blessing which is the unique red blessing, this can be turned in to put on other red weapons. As stated in the other topic this should not be OP but rather add utility or a small boost.

Perks: As stated the ability to select whatever perk you want largely removed the presence of lower than tier 4, but with locks you sometimes had to settle for lower. With the above change to locks this concession would no longer be relevant so what about lower tier? Simple solution: make the tiers of weapon predicate the power of the perks. Taking a weapon from white to orange takes it through the tiers so tie the perk power to the tier of weapon, players end-goal is all orange anyway right so it will just be another form of progression.

Yes, lower than orange will be lower power as far as perks go but I think this is fair given you are expected to upgrade your gear anyway and this will encourage the use of resources and guarantee an increase in power.

• White: No perks, obviously
  • Green: one tier 1 perk
  • Blue: one tier 2 perk
  • Purple: two tier 3 perks
  • Orange: two tier 4 perks
    Red: two tier 4 perks, one unique perk that can’t be changed (think small buffs like 5% attack speed or a tier 1 perk, nothing much but just a little extra spice).

Weapon Stats: In my other topic and in several other crafting-adjacent topics the desire to improve weapon stats and the mystery of “why the heck does it stop at 80%” has come up and I think it is a good idea to look into, if difficult to balance without the end-game making the entire crafting system pointless to players relatively quickly.

My thoughts on how to tackle this are relatively straightforward and will use a similar power-scaling method as the above for perks, that being base-line stats based on the tier of the weapon (but still a chance of a low tier weapon just happening to get god-rolled stats).

Additionally adding a way to pay materials to directly increase a stat by a random amount which each tier of weapon allowing a maximum upwards adjustment from whatever was initially rolled for its base stats but not exceeding the maximum for its tier. The weapon will not decrease stats when upgrading. If it had 20% damage as a white it will not drop to 15% on a bad roll. The combination of these two things will encourage players to try to get high-rolled base items, dump resources into getting them as close to max as possible before upgrading and further increasing until you hit the end of the upgrade path.

• White: garbage weapons you are not really meant to use once you are level 30, they get a baseline 5% and a max of +10% improvement via direct stat improvement crafting, each stat may only be increased one time. Every stat can still roll higher but the max they can roll is 30% with a curve peaking around 13-15% and steeply dropping of to 30%.
  • Green: Still not great but a marked improvement over white. Base of 15% with a curve peaking at 40% and maxing at 60%. Nice even bell-curve. You can individually increase stats by up to +15%, each stat may only be increased one time.
  • Blue: Base 30% with a curve peaking at 50% and maxing at 80% with more weight to that peak and a gradual drop to that max. You can individually increase stats by up to +15%, each stat may be increased twice.
  • Purple: Base 50% with a curve weighted towards peaking at 70%, gradually dropping to 80%, then nosediving to a max 90%. You can individually increase stats by up to +20%, each stat may be increase twice.
  • Orange: Base 70% with a even bell curve peaking at 90% and (obviously) maxing at 100%. You can individually increase stats up to +20% and each may be increased three times.
  • Red: base 100%, what did you expect? Cannot be crafted (method of obtaining TBD after tackling emperor’s gift, spoiler alert: largely go back to VT2 multiple rewards method of giving item rewards at the end of missions)

Weapon Skins: Tangentially related so let’s cover them here. We need more than just red or blue re-colors. We have at least some small variety in armor cosmetics so why not weapons. Obviously you save most of the fancy stuff for paid content but give us a little something-something to spend our dockets on.

Red weapons could alternatively just be max-rolled Orange weapons with a cool unique skin instead of just slightly more powerful weapons, if implemented like this they could be exclusively gained via difficult penances and nobody would bat an eye since they would be something cool for players grinding the hardest content to show off and players uninterested in the hard stuff can still get maxed weapons via the above crafting system and will just have to do with paid cosmetics and whatever is added for dockets.

Beyond level 30: Again, tangentially related so let’s talk about it an how it could interact with the crafting system.

After level 30 we keep getting experience that does nothing mechanically. What if instead that experience was converted to a new exchange currency that allows players to essentially trade-in their work for materials and items. Effectively it is just dockets but with the ability to buy a weekly limit of plasteel, diamantine, purple weapons, and purple curios. Since experience is gained at a lower rate than dockets already experience could just be a 1:1 or a 2:1 conversion to this currency. If made a weekly stockpile of items and materials to buy from it wouldn’t negatively effect the material economy too much but would give players with less time to grind the ability to better interact with this new and improved crafting system which will obviously require more materials.

In addition, gaining enough experience to level gives the player a “care package” of a TBD amount of plasteel (maybe 1k), diamantine (maybe 300), ingots (probably only like 100), and a weapon or curio with a higher chance of being purple or orange. This way players feel the grind a little less and again enables players with less time to play to still engage with the crafting system meaningfully.

I know that was a lot, and I know I didn’t cover every idea ever but I feel that is a solid foundation to start the discussion. So, thoughts?

5 Likes

This idea was flawed from the moment FS came up with it.
This system would make for a bad experience.
It also does not help with any of the blessings that only exist on T4.

So the new red weapons would replace our previously crafted items.
This would mean that all time and effort that we put in other items, would be made obsolete.

Of course it has to be random…

Imagine people actually getting something for their time and effort, instead of randomly being gifted or shafted by an rng system…

So all weapons can still get bricked by balance changes.
Still no build experimentation.

Even reds could get bricked.

So you can get each red weapon once.
And then they can still be bricked.

2 Likes

Reds
I think if red weapons are to become a thing, there are many ways to design the road to them, but either way, a red weapon should probably be obtained by upgrading an orange weapon that you have invested time and effort into.
Doing it in any other way, would simply make previously obtained weapons (including time and ressources invested) obsolete.

Red weapons should be “unbrickable”. No locks. No limitation on perk and blessing swaps.

Modifiers
Modifier upgrades should have absolutely no randomness to them.
Any item should be upgradeable to perfection (all modifiers maxed).
Let us pay diamantine to upgrade individual modifiers in steps of 5% or so.
Increase the price for upgrading a stat, depending on how high the stat already is.

Tiers on Perks and Blessings
As you mentioned, right now, there is never a reason to apply a perk/blessing on any tier below 4 (or the highest blessing tier you have access to). They basically cost the same.

The cost for applying higher tier perks/blessings could be massively increased, but that by itself would make experimentation painfully expensive (paying lots to try a T4 exclusive, and paying lots to get back to the perk/blessing that you had previously).

My suggestion is, that perk/blessing slots themselves, should have a tier tied to them.
Just give the slot border a color (T1: rusty, T2: bronze, T3: silver, T4: gold) to show the tier.
A slot would be what ever tier perk/blessing it originally came with, and can be upgraded from there.

If a slot is T2 for example, you can only slot T2 and lower perks/blessings in it.
If a slot is T4, you can slot any tier of perk/blessing in it.
Swapping to any perk/blessing below the tier of the slot, should be free (experiment with lower tier options for free, then place the top tier option for a price, if you want to).

If you had to pay for upgrading your slots, that would be an investment, but once you have made it, you would not have to repeatedly pay a high price if you want to test out a few different perks/blessings.

Slot upgrades should cost diamantine (just like modifier upgrades).
This would give players the opportinity to evaluate if they want to invest their diamantine into modifier upgrades, or into higher tier perks/blessings, first.

Blessings
All current ways of obtaining blessings, are entirely random (even melk is random in his offers).
Your suggestion to implement the original idea from FS to combine multiple low tier versions of a blessing to unlock the next higher tier of that blessing, would not really fix any of the issues with bad rng. It would help with some blessings, but not impact others at all.

If we could pick a blessing to learn for a price of diamantine, that would be the solution to all rng related issues with blessings.
And again, it would offer players the choice, where they want to invest their diamantine.

Locks
Locks as they are now, are not fun or interesting.
They are simply unfun and ruin the already mediocre crafting system.

I suggest the following change:
By default, all perk/blessing slots are locked.
All slots can permanently be unlocked.
Unlocking cost increases for each additional slot that you unlock on the same item.

First slot is basically free.
Second slot is cheap.
Third slot is relatively expensive.
Fourth slot is expensive (~10 missions worth of diamantine).

With these deterministic options to spend diamantine on, consecration should no longer cost any diamantine.
That way, plasteel and diamantine would have clearly separated uses.

In combination, these things would allow for actual gear progression with full customizability of weapon stats.
The time you put in, would guarantee you progress towards a clear and achievable goal.
RNG would no longer be the limiting factor for your progression, but would instead be a way to get lucky.
You would expect to pay a certain amount of diamantine for a specific result, but if you do get lucky, you can get a good base weapon from consecration, melk or emperor’s gift, that is already close to what you want, saving you diamantine for slot unlocks, slot upgrades, perk/blessing swaps and modifier upgrades.

Even if a weapon comes with bad modifiers, it would not automatically go in the garbage. It could still be valuable if it has a few good perks/blessings on it.
If a weapon comes with 4 bad perks and blessings, it could still be valuable if it comes with T4 slots.

Weapons getting bricked while upgrading, would no longer be a possibility.
No balance change could brick a weapon either (unless the entire weapon type becomes bad, independent of stats, perks and blessings).

With the systems mentioned above, items could turn red, once all of their modifiers are maxed, all slots are T4 and unlocked.
The red quality could either be just a way to show that you created a perfect weapon, or it could additionally make T4 perk and blessing swaps free.

I don’t understand why so many of his suggestions are “middle ground” options to problems that nobody wants a middle ground for.

5 Likes

We had that discussion here.
If you ask me, there is only one way, three steps.

1. Break the crafting locks
  2. Allow us to improve stats with diamantine/make weapon red with diamantine.
  3. Allow players to unlock the blessings of choice for a certain cost.
4 Likes

A-men!

1 Like

I mean, yeah, but that would need an overhaul of the whole system, which is most likely not going to happen. If all of these steps were in the game, both shops would be pointless, emperors gift would be pointless. The only thing that would then matter is Brunts armory for grey weapons and crafting.

Dockets would become pointless eventually as well, because there is no need to spend them on a lottery system. Just buy one weapon and craft them to perfection.

I mean, it could work for sure, just have to ditch a lot of stuff and that is most likely not happening. Thats why i am only for breaking locks. Thats enough for me to try out weaponbuilds, the lottery system for high stats weapon can stay, so i have something to grind for. Its not like the highest stat are needed anyway, but freedom in perk and blessing choice for sure.

I mean, yeah, but that would need an overhaul of the whole system, which is most likely not going to happen.

Agree. The current system is bad. A single week hasn’t passed since the game released without new thread pointing that out, one way or another.

If all of these steps were in the game, both shops would be pointless, emperors gift would be pointless.

Disagree. They would give you a “headstart” to improve the weapon or unlock a blessing. You do not need to improve everything from the barebones: you already have green/blue/orange rarity. Also you do not need to pay to unlock a blessing if it drops from shop/gift/melk.

The only thing that would then matter is Brunts armory for grey weapons and crafting.

Disagree. Brunt would be the slow-but-sure option, that would be very expensive and therefore time-consuming.

Dockets would become pointless eventually as well, because there is no need to spend them on a lottery system. Just buy one weapon and craft them to perfection.

Disagree. They would be still usable on cosmetics, also do not forget that any crafting action requires dockets as well. It’s all about cost adjustment.

Thats enough for me to try out weaponbuilds, the lottery system for high stats weapon can stay, so i have something to grind for. Its not like the highest stat are needed anyway, but freedom in perk and blessing choice for sure.

The lottery factor is the root cause for all bad qualities of the current system. It is a layered RNG onion. Also see point 1.

After one year in Darktide since early beta launch I just stick to the three points I mentioned in my previous post.

Disagree. They would give you a “headstart” to improve the weapon or unlock a blessing. You do not need to improve everything from the barebones: you already have green/blue/orange rarity. Also you do not need to pay to unlock a blessing if it drops from shop/gift/melk.

You want to unlock blessings already with a cost, so there is no need for blessings to unlock from weapons. Green/Blue/Purple rarity wouldnt matter as well, because why buy them when you can also just buy an orange weapon from melks? But why do melks quests when you can simply buy a grey weapon and upgrade it to orange? Players always go with the most efficient way and right now it would need like 5 damnation games at most to craft a grey weapon to orange + re-fining/blessing. Would need to increase the crafting costs drastically to make the shops worthwhile again.

Disagree. Brunt would be the slow-but-sure option, that would be very expensive and therefore time-consuming.

It would be the most efficient option actually, most likely even the least time consuming considering that the shops are rng as well, one is resetting every 24 hours the other is resetting after one hour and they need your weapon of choice. Brunts has it already, everytime you go there.

Disagree. They would be still usable on cosmetics, also do not forget that any crafting action requires dockets as well. It’s all about cost adjustment.

Lets be real here, the skins for dockets are re-colored garbage to like 90%. A player gets maybe one or two full sets out of it and would then buy the rest just to have it. Doesnt change the fact that dockets become pointless eventually, because you will have all the skins and it wouldnt take long to get your perfect items either. Sure you could use it at the beginning, but there it would have the same problems as diamantine right now. You get too much and spend to little, eventually wont spend anything anymore.

The lottery factor is the root cause for all bad qualities of the current system. It is a layered RNG onion. Also see point 1.

Yeah, its not great, but the lottery system is right now the only system where you can spend your resources properly. If you played Vermintide 2, you should know how your crafting resources just stacked up to ridiculous numbers because there was no way to spend them anymore, unless you didnt go for reds and did spend them all on trying to re-roll the perfect orange, which we are somewhat doing here right now. Even if the system is frustrating right now, it has something positive you might havent realized yet. This problem is especially prevalent in ARPGs, where developers have to find a way for people to use the resource they gathered all the time.

Agree completely, this is better than either of the things I said.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was suggesting for modifier “randomization” and upgrading. What I was suggesting is how items should spawn and the course of upgrading them. The RNG element is more there to trick the devs into going for it if I’m being honest. If you think carefully about what I was suggesting it was all a smokescreen to essentially get exactly what you were suggesting. Yes, things are random but each level you can upgrade all the modifiers and then the next tier will be almost certainly better and cannot roll lower and can then be further upgraded.

Basically if you take a white to orange you have effectively 9 increases in total and each tier being weighted towards a point where you wouldn’t actually need much to 100% guarantee that at orange it will be max.

Did notice I forgot to ad minimum increase of the “random” increase is +5%, my bad.

What the system of upgrading I was suggesting does is make the rng work FOR you not against you. The RNG means you have a chance of not having to spend so many resources but theoretically no matter what you can still spend your way to all 100% unless you get an exceptionally bad orange spawn (not crafting, it should be impossible to get a sub-80 orange through crafting).

The “bad” mods are really just there for spawned weapons and were suggested under the assumption the blessing acquisition would not change over-much (other than the stated blessing upgrades). Basically they are just there o you don’t feel bad about sacrificing the item.

You gotta lay off this RNG hatred. I know fatshark did you dirty but RNG can be a good thing and the devs clearly like it so suggesting a replacement system that removes rng completely is probably not going to fly. The one I suggested is all smoke and mirrors. The odds are entirely in the player’s favor.

Honestly the red things were just jokes. I legit think those are not happening until the crafting system is made batter. Until I see what that looks like that is the reason I don’t want them craftable if they exist. Being able to craft your way to perfect 100% (which is what red should be) without having to engage with the modifier improvement system (in whatever form that may take) invalidates the need for a modifier improvement system in the first place.

But i didn’t.

No dude, you defiantly did:

I’m not saying you are wrong, but you are defiantly saying you want to outwardly invalidate rng. We both want the same thing, I was just being sneaky about it.

Those two things do not replace anything.
I suggested them as an addition.

You can get still get blessings by taking them off of weapons (can still “farm” them by spending plasteel).
If you do not get lucky with the RNG, or want to spend your plasteel on something else, you just buy a blessing for diamantine.

Sure, sure, and like I said, you aren’t wrong but the wording is key when pitching idea to people that clearly have an agenda. Fatshark clearly wants randomness, unfortunately, so I suggested effectively meaningless randomness, the trash items (bad base rolls) are trash, games need bad loot so the good loot feels better. If you look at it every upgrade tier (talking about modifiers here) increases the lowest possible roll.

I think a middle ground of our ideas is optimal. My suggested random modifiers but get rid of the limit to adjusting the modifiers, keeping the max each tier can be at and keeping the random factor of upgrading.

You would be guaranteed +5% but you could get +10 or even 20% when increasing the modifier of an orange, for instance.

Best of both worlds. You could get exceptionally lucky and get a purple spawned with 80% upgrading into an orange 90% then you at worst need to boost twice. At worst you end with a 70-80 base orange and need to dump a load or resources maxing.

Like I said, I like this better than either of my suggestions, double-down on locks but let us eventually remove all of them.

Add this to my suggestion for blessings.

Use my starting modifier curves. Use my random rolled individual modifier upgrades with a minimum of +5% and a max of +20% for a flat rate in diamantine… say 100-200 per roll. (I like the idea that diamantine is the more specific upgrade material and plasteel is the one for upgrading tiers)

I think that could be interesting, I’ll agree to that. Mine was really just a starting point because I didn’t know what to do with perks.

Thoughts?

I’m like 99% sure that a crafting rework has been underway for a long time now. I’ve observed Fatshark consistently responding to player feedback and criticism over the last year, especially criticism that the community has been loud about. They do deserve the trust and belief that they will do something about it and have been doing something about it for a while.

Fatshark are just slow as a snail.

I’m also sure that they would have collected all the feedback a long time ago to design the rework currently underway.

1 Like

Eh I have read through the feedback on crafting. By-and-large people never really tried to give them a concrete “This is something we want” that is all I am trying to do here. Give them a solid guideline of what players agree would be reasonable changes to the crafting system.

Sure, they may have something underway but they have not announced such a thing. The talent tree was announced months in advance, they have been silent on crafting other that acknowledging we hate it. The last time they acknowledged it and didn’t say what they were doing we got “hey you can move your locks around but locks are still a thing.”

Also like I said the last post I could find talking about crafting at any depth was last posted on in July.

Apparently they had been working on the tree since launch, but we only heard it existed two months from it being added to the game, took people completely by surprise. Fatshark likes to hold their plans super close to their chest (most likely because they kept failing to meet promises)

Sure, sure, but that doesn’t mean we the community should not keep them appraised of our thoughts in a non-toxic manner. That is the point of this. A no screaming at each other discussion hopefully ending in the framework of a good system they can look at and see if what they have planned needs to be adjusted to meet expectations.

They have ostensibly been working on a crafting system since before launch since they promised an actual system instead of the lotto machine we have at present. Clearly they have prioritized other things. With the talent tree in a good state (based on the video on the next patch) it is important that we make it clear crafting is what we want changed next.