Ideas for Improving/Re-Working Crafting

Not a lot of that recently, but we have been doing that at least since february.
After months of them not really saying anything, and not announcing any significant crafting changes, it has died down a lot.

1 Like

I feel like people don’t understand why the RNG is there. I honestly don’t think it’s the error in judgement people think it is, but rather a necessity.

Consider the way the game released and what has been added since then. We only have a handful of maps, with almost half of them being just alternate routes through the same map. At release stage we only had the 4 simple classes, each with only a handful of strong weapons usually with barely 2 good blessings if that. And that’s it. If you stop to consider the real content in the game, there’s very, very little of it. So I’m sure the reason you can’t choose your mission is because there’s but a handful of them. That RNG and those modifiers are what keep it fresh. Same goes for crafting. If we could simply craft perfect red gear, the progression would be gone then and there and we’d be left with nothing but the content besides crafting, of which there is very little.

I have no way of knowing whether the RNG was intentional from the start, or something they put in because they knew the game wasn’t ready for release so they had to come up with a way to make what little was there last as long as it could. But at this point it doesn’t even matter. And I believe this is the reason the patches addressing this RNG have often mentioned the problem between player agency vs. the RNG that makes the progression what it is.

With this in mind, any suggestions to gearing until there’s so much content the RNG is no longer necessary would have to be something of a compromise where both Fatshark and us players get what we need. There are some ways that could do that, such as:

• What if they added a special token obtainable by doing all the weeklies. This token could then be traded to Hadron to reroll a single locked attribute, but after rerolling it would lock again. Or to swap the locks between an unlocked attribute and a locked one.
  • This would come with a lot of granularity: If once per week per character is too much, then limit it to once per week per account. Or make the reroll require 2-4 tokens. Or make it single-use, so each item could only ever be modified once and then you’d be stuck with it.
  • This feels like it could be a great solution for both parties. For players it would give extreme agency and bring us so much closer to creating that perfect gear. But being such a rare resource, if we needed more than 1 token each we would easily need months to a year just to perfect a few builds. And that’s not even including all the changes from patches along the way. So from Fatshark’s PoV this wouldn’t undermine the other layers of RNG, and we’d still need to get several versions of the same weapon for different builds. Meanwhile it would become the most valuable endgame resource of all and all but guarantee that player engagement because everyone would want to get theirs each week.

As for red items, I don’t think we’re going to get the same type we did in in VT2 because it would just trivialize the gear we’ve spent so much effort and time into thus far, and doesn’t fit Darktide’s gearing anyway. I think the best equivalent would probably be some way to earn an upgrade for existing gear by adding +20% to a 2-3 of their stats. Whether those stats are RNG or not ofc is another question entirely. If they were to be separate items altogether, then they’d probably work on a similar basis by having an increased max base score with stats able to go all the way up to 100%, yet still relying on RNG to get there and with the possibility of some stats being way less than optimal.

Red items in VT2 were intended to be a random reward that allowed players to no longer fight with the upgrade system in that game. This is why I think the crafting system needs to be solidified and reworked before they can even be considered (after previously having a discussion about reds, this was my conclusion).

I think this would ultimately just lead to more frustration and an even greater feeling of being cheated by rng. The idea of randomly rerolling blessings that are locked is a good one but putting a hard-limit/time gate on it is not.

What I am suggesting (and the compromise I suggested to flawless) is a system where the base-layer is RNG but the player then has the agency to combat rng with the crafting system to effectively craft their way out of bad rng.

Oh I didn’t mean random rerolling, I meant you choose any locked attribute, and then change it to whatever you like as if you were rerolling a perk / blessing normally by just picking it from the list. But you can only do it once. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, that is more or less what flawless had suggested. Just limited.

Hmmn, maybe a weekly token 1/character to free select and diamantine to re-roll? I like combining good ideas to find compromises. Basically treat it like a pity token.

1 Like

On the topic of penance related skins the fact we don’t have penance related weapon skins that I have seen is a travesty.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.