Huntsman vs Chaos warriors (and monsters)

Ok, now I want to know how! :smiley:
Would be a real boon to be able to do that. (or is it with a strength potion…? :confused: )

Oh, it does work. But sure as heck not gonna tell how, or it will get nerfed again.

Insane Huntsman isn’t returning, I pray.

He is in a good spot, more than capable to compete. His issues are more related to quickswapping from zoomed with ranged weapon to melee, and the aiming of longbow.

No one should be able to delete CWs left and right just because they score a headshot, that is too big a reward. They’re supposed to be a considerable threat which kruber/huntsman can already remove far more reliably than anyone else.

not just
point, click, ded :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like Slayer, you mean?

1 Like

Who is facing higher risk in melee, mind you.

You want Huntsman to be as effective or more effective from a distance double of weapons for other non-ranged careers than a slayer? *at killing chaos warriors

1 Like

Oh boy have I bad news for you, then :wink:

My point wasn’t primarily to make it stronger vs CW. The current build is to just spam and hope for crits. My suggestion would be to allow for a consistent, yet more difficult, competition to just point&click&hope-for-crit.

Or in other words, not to fill a role he doesn’t already fill, just to allow players to use skill instead of crits for it.

<15% more headshot damage (what i suggested) isn’t going to allow him to just delete CWs left and right. It will just make them slightly more rewarding. He’d be still weaker than he was in 1.0.7, so i really don’t see your train of thought here.

not just
point, click, ded :slight_smile:

Point being more that instead of just going point&click until he dies, you actually go for headshots. Reward skill rather than spam.

Well given that my nearly perfect +power setup with triggered barrage wasn’t enough, i do have to say that it seems likely that such a build does not exist.

without running breakpoints, on legend its 4 headshots to kill a CW on legend with bow and active no crits, and 3 for handgun.

1 Like

shade…

1 Like

Personally I don’t care about his ability to deal with CWs but his boss damage could use some tweaks imo, shade and BH can already outdamage him or a WS with hagbane (which is getting more popular), also a CDR pyro.

and slayer…

glaive/dagger handmaiden…

1 Like

With ultimate.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s spamming for crits tbh. Once you get into the rythm of headshot into bodyshot it’s actually quite satisfying gameplay. I think they wanted him to feel a bit like Hanzo from OW with the spam shooting, and the awareness of your buff/headshot into body shot added a bit more skill and thought to it.

While I dislike crit in range and think one-shot from ranged is a bit of an OP mechanic, the changes you’re describing would just make Kerillian’s Longbow 2.0. Which, if they are in-fact aiming for Hanzo-eque gameplay, doesn’t fit that playstyle and removes his uniqueness. He can only maintain that gameplay if he’s getting the headshots and ammo on crits.

Also I haven’t tested, but I’ll bet there’s builds that make him fit the roles you’re after and offer that feeling of doing more damage per shot. You just won’t get the same amount of ammo sustain from them. (going to try some now actually)

Yeah, I agree. You can get huntsman into a very good rhythm and like I said, it is possible to get the train rolling and kill cw left and right. The only thing I am truly missing is boss damage. It is okay-ish, but gearing towards boss-killing is too consuming now, you are gimping yourself too much in other areas imho. At least with longbow, he should do a little better considering bow doesn’t benefit from his active nearlsy as much as handgun does.

1 Like

Hanzo is certainly quite good on headshotting, having a 2x damage boost (vs 1.5/1.25 here).
With the headshot crit talent, it’s hit one head, spam until crit, repeat.
Without that you might as well just spam for all it matters. Which is kinda the issue.

I’d certainly like to have some alternative to spam based playstyles, being rewarded for taking the time to aim should be encouraged.

the changes you’re describing would just make Kerillian’s Longbow 2.0. Which, if they are in-fact aiming for Hanzo-eque gameplay, doesn’t fit that playstyle and removes his uniqueness. He can only maintain that gameplay if he’s getting the headshots and ammo on crits.

I am rather confused, none of his bow mechanics would change, simply that he’d be rewarded more for hitting heads on tough enemies (CW/bosses). Hanzo certainly uses them for damage, especially on tanks.

1 Like

It kinda feels like they couldn’t decide with HS in what direction to go. I mean, he’s got all that headshot thing going on, but then he has a crit aura and… I don’t know. HS sometimes kinda feels like he’s sitting between two chairs.

1 Like

This already seems to be the case to me whenever I play huntsman, the only difference I don’t eliminate chaos warriors with ease at great distances without having to use ult, while everything else drops dead, though not bosses.

He’s in a very bad spot right now, with no good melee options to make him viable at dodge-dancing melee, and really no good ranged option. Hell, an IB can run a handgun and do what HS can do, and HS has nothing at all to make him actually be a good ranged character. If he want’s any kind of ammo regen, he can’t run bonus crit on headshots - the only viable weapon to lose bonus arrows on head is the handgun, because you’ll barely be shooting.

It’s such a great example of how FS just have no idea what to do with any of Kruber’s careers, and how they mess up balancing in general.

If you want to know just how little FS cares about Kruber at all, you just need to realize they still haven’t bothered fixing the discolour/darkness bug after he ults, which has been present in the game since the beginning of time.

3 Likes

The only difference between what? Now and 1.0.7?

There are very crude ways to make him work really well, but I agree, he needs some tweaking.

1 Like