Game performance seems significantly worse after the last patch

Issue Description:

Prior to the last two bugfix patches, I was able to run the game smoothly on medium graphics settings. Currently, the game is quite choppy on medium graphics, and I can only run it on low. The computer I’m running on is unchanged. I know other people have said similar things so I’m definitely not the only one who has noticed this.

Steps to Reproduce:

Run the game on the current build, and then compare it to the game 2 patches ago. I don’t have access to the old patch so I can’t really test this myself. But it’s a noticeable, substantial performance decrease.

2 Likes

not saying this is the fix but after most patches most people forget the game has to recompile shaders so it’s usually a little less smooth but keep playing and see if it eventually smooths out if it does its cause, it was compiling shaders for the game, if not then yea it’s definitely something wrong

1 Like

Right, just to clarify, this is after playing on the new patches for 10+ hours.

2 Likes

ahhhh lol yea then it’s probably something else XD

1 Like

Have you tried the experimental build? That did wonders for my fps. In particular I had terrible fps drops on the map Hab Dreyko, but the experimental build seems to have fixed this for me.

It can be accessed in steam with this beta key: cTYPtKTsfMDsLHAV

I also made sure I deleted my previous settings(everything inside folder) in AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion and the key. I tried using the experimental build tonight but it did not improve performance for me unfortunately. Two other possibly relevant observations:

1. The game’s performance seemed to get worse the longer I played. Possibly there’s a memory leak?

2. My FPS didn’t seem especially correlated with the performance drops, which makes me wonder if the problem might be something on the server.

1 Like

fps is performance so idk what you are talking about

Hmm are you perhaps talking about something other than how many frames per second the game runs at? Does the game have good overall fps to you, but nevertheless feels sluggish or laggy, where inputs are delayed?

Then that could be related to server performance or networking issues rather than how much load the game puts on your CPU and Graphics card.

1 Like

Hmm are you perhaps talking about something other than how many frames per second the game runs at? Does the game have good overall fps to you, but nevertheless feels sluggish or laggy, where inputs are delayed?

I’m talking about both actually! Sorry if that wasn’t clear. I am both experiencing noticeably decreased fps since the recent patches, and also experiencing noticeable nonresponsiveness / delayed responsiveness to inputs. These seem somewhat independent of each other, so I’m guessing there are (at least) two underlying issues here, one on the client and one on the server.

fps is performance so idk what you are talking about

No, fps is a component of performance, but they’re certainly not the same thing. I’m having issues with both fps as well as stuttering / nonresponsiveness / delayed responses.

Was just about to post this myself. I’m also seeing a big performance drop after the last two patches. I always play with the same 2 guys and we all notice the same thing. Hope Fatshark fixes soon :frowning:

1 Like

#2 is also happening for me. I track resource use and for me it seems recent performance problems are more networking related vs cpu/gpu/ram. Have not noticed #1 happening but I normally play for an hour or less.

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in to say that, yes, my performance also got worse. I re-enabled all the settings I previously used (they get reset every patch) and I use the appropriate number of worker threads (9 for me). Apparently it’s the particle effects that have gotten really crass.

Big Hordes and particle effects. They drop my 90 FPS down to 40, sometimes even 30!

My setup:
i9-9900k with 5.000 GhZ Turboboost
32 GB Ram DDR4
nVidia RTX 3070 Ti (formerly 2070, just upgraded for this)

2 Likes

Tried this, definitely feeling a big improvement here.
It’s still choppy when the fighting starts at Heresy with big hordes, so I will turn down particle effects for now.

2 Likes

Are you running in windowed, fullscreen, or borderless fullscreen?

Fullscreen

Have you tried doing a settings reset from the launcher window? The one that does the hardware scan. If not it might help rewrite all of your graphics settings, just be sure to manually select your graphic drop-down menus later.

Beyond that the only things I can think of would be GPU driver uninstall/reinstall, and to see if any other apps (like virus scanners) aren’t starting randomly during your gaming sessions

1 Like

Update: some combination of reinstalling the game, upgrading my graphics drivers, and updating to the latest patch seems to have fixed this for me. The game still does not run great, but it’s now comparable to how it was prior to the previous 2 patches.

Nah, its the same.

Seems to have fixed it for me, but ymmv. I’m also not sure why it’s fixed now. As others have reported, seems like network I/O is a performance bottleneck, so it’s possible it’s just gotten better because fewer people are playing the game :frowning:

Edit: re network I/O see for example this thread

1 Like