Failed To Decompress Crash

Issue Type (Required):

Error - Failed Decompress/Oodle Detected Corruption

Issue Description (Required):

I’ve been getting this crash for a month and half now none stop crashes with the error message “Failed to decompress” I’ve tried everything from reinstalling the game/Verifying Files/Checking my Rams/GPU Update I can’t play the game at all without crashing every 5 minutes of every match. I even crash as soon as i click play on Launcher It’s terrible here’s the error message that i get Screenshot 2024 05 17 180614 — Postimages

Hi @Kazu,

I’m sorry to hear this.

I can only recommend our Data Corruption solutions e.g. checking your drives:

Running Windows System File Checker:

And to try reinstalling Darktide on a different drive - if possible.

What is this problem here?`
I have reinstalled the whole system on Sunday, all drivers are up to date all Runtime Libs are up to date.
I will for crying out loud not reinstall the god damn game i installed 15 Minutes ago

I also veryfied the data before playing.

I just fixed it by updating my BIO’S I’m using an i9 14900k seems there were instability issues with the CPU and an bio’s update was needed. Right after the bio’s update I’ve played 5 matches straight without any “Failed to Decompress crashes”

I updated the bios last sunday, while reinstalling the whole OS.
Everything is on it’s most RECENT drivers, and making a health check for win 11 isn’t needed as it is part of the OS. Not to mention that i for the life of me can not make out a reason for a fresh system to have a corrupted operator and or net framework…

Also NEW Error message.

Since it is now random and not one and the same i would tend to clearly say that it is an istallation problem of the software.

There also IS no folder named like that in the error message

Just to illustrate, there is a binaries and a bundle folder but no binaries.…\bundles

@Tongle I am genuinely stumped as to why this may be happening :thinking:
To confirm, have you tried reinstalling/repairing .NET Framework?

Otherwise, do you have a different drive you could try installing Darktide on?

Failing this, let me know and I’ll ask the development team for any possible insight or suggestions in the morning!

I have rolled back the Framework update from last week, that didn’t work, after that i have set-up the machine completely anew:

The System was 3 days old all drives are in good health the bios is up to date.
I can fix the singular errors by deleting the file and getting it verfied by steam again. A Process that is a plessuable as getting teeth pulled. I do have a C: Drive but i fail to see how a slower ssd would help with the issue at hand. I mean that serious what would installing it on the c drive change when the error message is throwing out non existant paths, that is a software issue not a Drive issue in my book.

@Tongle I’ve spoken with our engine developers and unfortunately there isn’t anything we can do from our end, as this will be a local issue (otherwise everyone would be experiencing this).

I can only recommend to try another disk and run diagnostics, in case of a bad disk or something else that is broken.

The developer did also add that the path mentioned above does exist - when a path has …/ in it that means “up one directory”, so the path binaries/…/bundle/data is the same as /bundle/data

Sorry that I’ve been unable to be of more help, and I hope you can identify the issue!

If you’re unable to find a solution, then please let me know and I’m happy to contact Steam and assist in sorting a refund for you. I appreciate this isnt an ideal outcome, but please let me know if you wish to do so.

I am geniuinly thankfull for the offer of reimbursement but that doesn’t really help me as i recieved the game with the Graphics Card. I also ran a double check with the real outlandish Samsung SSD 980 Pro i have and it is fine working order it’s newly formatted and has no errors. I do not accept however that this is supposed to be a local issue otherwise the errors would not rotate through several files and stop after i manually delete them and request the file from distribution again.

19:19:11.628 <>Failed to decompress: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Warhammer 40,000 DARKTIDE\binaries..\bundle\data/f9/f95026c4631dbb1d.stream from package 00000000.

If it would happen locally i’d have errors to show you from the event log, there are none. It genuenly tries to decompress faulty files. Note the error is for deactivated secure boot as i do not have a bit locker run at this point to exactly prevent issues and the warnings are general 10016 MS Warnings that have nothing to do with your application.
I am at a loss here as i do not operate outlandish Hardware, nor can in any shape or form can follow the chain that it is “usually locally” it is not, this machine is freshly set up and has problems with exactly one application at this point.

the … is means relative to binaries. which means it’s the folder beside binaries named bundle. in this case.

since you have not proved the crash link that we provide i can’t see any crash info.

Can you tell me what CPU you are using since I can’t see that this info has been provided yet?

For example 13 and 14 K intel CPU’s has a known HW issue. Which seems to be triggered alot for oodle decompression.

This is the only known cause for causing this 100% otherwise it’s something else that is broken on the system that is causing this. Unless this specific file would be broken, but then we would see it more often.

The current solution for this is stated in a earlier link

Intel i9 13900k/14900k and Intel i7 13700k/14700k: Underclock ‘Performance Core’ Speed

It has been noted that players with the Intel i9 13900k/14900k and Intel i7 13700k/14700k CPUs are prone to these crashes. Players have been able to work around this by underclocking the ‘Performance Core’ speed using Intel XTU, from x55 to x53.

Also Intel has commented on this issue in the passed year and stated that the issue originates from the motherboards that they don’t follow the Intel guidelines and allows the CPU to use more power than recommended. If I recall.
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/1c0ltry/intel_13th14th_core_raptor_lake_gaming/