Darktide won't shutdown

We kindly ask that you complete the questions below. With this information, we can investigate your issue properly.

Issue Description:
When I exit the game, it stays running in Steam. Now, when I try to exit the game, the game is frozen to the exit game screen. I have to reboot to get out.
Crash Report (If Applicable):
See attached.

Error Displayed (If Applicable):

Steps to Reproduce:
[Please add the steps that can help our QA department in reproducing the issue. For example:]
Just play a game and exit. Freezes every time.
Reinstalling the game didnā€™t help.

Mission Name (If Applicable):

Platform:
Steam PC

Player ID:
Steam TheBlasterMaster

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
01/29/2023 11:35 AM Central time zone US

Reproduction Rate:
Once - Rare (<10%) - Unusual (<25%) - Common (<50%) - Often (<75%) - Constant (100%)

Upload Supporting Evidence:
[Screenshots, recordings, links to Twitch VODs, etc.]

Upload Console Log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter
    console-2023-01-29-17.00.40-3e6ab9fa-9fbe-46ed-bbec-038859d3ab72.log (190.1 KB)
    within the search input and select ā€˜OKā€™
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here

Upload darktide_launcher.log:
See below post.

2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ā€˜OKā€™
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here

Itā€™s not a bug, itā€™s a feature, a tribute to the VT2 launcher.

1 Like

I wonder what darktideā€™s player count would be at if this ā€œfeatureā€ didnā€™t exist.

Does closing it through the task manager not work? Is your entire PC getting frozen when you try to close the game?

Could you please also provide us with your launcher log file (instructions on how to post it can be found at the bottom of your post!)

The game freezes in 2 different ways.

When the game closes and goes back to desktop, The game shows itā€™s still running in Steam. I press STOP and it still shows running. It wonā€™t stop. I open task manager and the game doesnā€™t show itā€™s running. I have to restart Steam. Then itā€™s not running.

Sometimes when I finish a game, the game freezes on the last screen. Ctrl/Alt/Del doesnā€™t work to get to task manager. The screen is frozen. I had to restart my computer.

None of this happened 1 month ago. Now itā€™s every game. 73 hours played. Had the game since the beta.

AMD 9 9500x and RTX 3080. Everything else up to date including drivers. OS Windows 11.

Thanks for your help. LOVE this game.

1 Like

I see, could you please upload your launcher log file @TheBlasterMaster ? Our devs have a suspicion of whatā€™s causing it but need those logs to confirm.

You may find the file by doing the following:

2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ā€˜OKā€™
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here

Its exactly what caused the launcher to hang in vt2. Its no big puzzle. Give it the ā€˜close gameā€™ button in steam.

Proof its an old build of VT2 that is basis for DT, including all oldbugs. :roll_eyes:

Here is my darktide_launcher.log
darktide_launcher.log (51.3 KB)
Thanks

1 Like

That didnā€™t work per my above post.
I wouldnā€™t critize them for trying to help me which could help others.

change desktop (start button + tab, then click new desktop) and open task manager in the new desktop to force close darktide

Our developers are still looking into a proper fix for this issue. In the meantime, for your freezing issues you might find a solution by going through the options found here: https://support.fatshark.se/hc/en-us/articles/360038965013--PC-How-to-Resolve-PC-Crashes-Loss-of-Responsiveness-or-Blue-Screens-BSOD-

That will not close the game

Is there no update for this? One patch eliminates it and another brings it back. The patch 2 days ago brought it back again.

task manager will close it, did you manage to switch desktops like i described?

Task manager will not stop the game. It is removed from task manager but the game in Steam says ā€œStoppingā€ forever until I restart Steam. This last patch started this again. All files validate with no errors.

Restarting Steam is faster.