Convocation of DEcay End Impossible

There’s a point where it’s fine to expect the players to get better. Bunch of Cata events feel great as is. I’ll cry if they get toned down anymore.

To this day I don’t understand why Fatshark didn’t take any inspiration from Onslaught mod when they designed Cata (end) events.

I believe the event could use a little overhaul anyway, leaving out the current difficulties.

If you look at what’s going on there, you enter a ritual just performed by 4 Nurgle sorcerers (in the current case life leeches, which might need a little skin adjustment) and during this transition and within the ritual circle you even see, I assume, a part of Nurgle’s garden.

Since the enemies all come from this “garden”, it’s only reasonable that they should also be (lower) Nurgle Demons.It would also be desirable to have this demon to be summoned at least schematically in the background (as a nice titbit).It would also be desirable to have this demon to be summoned at least schematically in the background ( as a nice titbit).

To get rid of all these transition effects I would simply make the ritual unleavable. And more like in Enchanters Lair, working with AoE effects that you have to hide from behind the columns. You could have units of Nurglings and Plaguebearer climbing the platform instead of Skaven and Chaos.
Another problem with the event are special units which are located in the lower part behind the, in my opinion rather strangely designed stairs, and are difficult to see and to take out, for example Blightstormers and Gas Rats. Instead of these, Rot Flies and Plague Toads or some spike shooting plants can be used as a replacement for Rattling Gunner.

To get back to the stairs again, I would also make the forecourt of the ritual site a bit more open. The stairs more like the ramps in Athel Yenlui directly on the outside of the ritual platform and maybe place bigger stone columns covered with all the Nurgle Snot as obstacles on the forecourt. There you could also install a fixed Chaos wave spawn before the actual event, maybe with some demons mixed in, so to speak the units guarding the ritual place.

All in all, I think that a small expansion of the Chaos faction, which is basically what the Beastman are, only that it was sold as a separate faction and the implementation as such is rather poor, would be very useful for such events. On the one hand to bring some variety into the game, on the other hand to improve the immersion especially for such events.

I’m well aware that this is quite a cut into the game, which is rather complicated and involves a lot of work (especially since it’s “only” an old map) but maybe there’s a long-term possibility to tweak these events not only regarding the spawns but to make them really interesting and to eliminate the problems that can’t be solved with number games. FS has shown with Nurgloth the Eternal that they are capable of creating good events.

TL;DR: NURGLIFY THE SH!T OUT OF IT! even with demons and rework it properly instead of tweaking the spawns.

:thinking:

2 Likes

Does anyone have a really strong understanding of when exactly the spawns happen? Do they happen as you stand in the middle or are they just timed. If they happen as you stand in the middle I could see it being beatable if you chose to only send someone up now and then. If it’s just a timer then there should probably be some counter play in there somewhere.

Its a checkpoint mechanic. Two checkpoints (first two sorcerers blowing up) and third = completion and spawns stopping (previously at least). Like most other events spawns are semi randomized, meaning there are set combos but spawn order changes (goes for specials t least).

Pretty sure Grimalackt broke it down a while back, explaining all the events in their current states. You should be able to find it on reddit and it might be tagged with ‘onslaught’. Sleezy might be able to provide some insight on the current states since he has spent some time reading different part of the code and scripted events.

2 Likes

Thank you, maybe it would be worthwhile to try to explain to the randoms that they should try to break the event up by not staying up the top so long. I think what happens is that people stand up there until they’re overwhelmed which might mean that by that point you’ve spawned too many and in fact there are more incoming that haven’t arrived yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/aj9fvx/the_events_of_vermintide_2_and_their_inner/

(From 1 year ago, so probably some stuff changed)

2 Likes

Are you sure about this? Because I am fairly sure that Convocation of Decay spawned by a simple timetable. Mainly because before the recent update you set the clock at what point which enemies spawned and becaused they keep spawning even if the whole team is away from the circle. While FS now randomized the spawns a bit more, the time they appear is still set in stone. Seems to me like this at least.

From one year ago is before Combat 2.0. There is a fair chance that a lot of stuff has changed as the ending events at that time were laughable. Although it is possible that they didn’t change the spawn triggers and just what can spawn.

1 Like

@Reaperpimp11 yes, there have been suggestions to change voice lines or to make people realize it some other way. Also, the link Froh was kind enough to post is the thread I was talking about. It’s likely outdated but explains how spawns work generally in different scripted events (if I don’t misremember).

@Adelion I’m certain about how the checkpoint system should work, yes.

As for spawns for that particular event, I’m not sure. The specials seem to be randomized but to always follow the same grouping/patterns. The non-special mobs have appeared to follow a pretty tight script. I haven’t looked into it though. As for post season 3 the non-special spawns have been acting differently and been spawning when they shouldn’t. By “shouldn’t” I mean that they don’t follow the patterns we generally see in events, where higher tier elites/larger numbers of elites spawn in the later waves of the event.

I never said it was impossible. I stated that it was ridiculous, and I stand by that statement. They’ve gone out of their way to almost ruin some of the other maps at Legend level with making boss fights easier. This map is on the exact same difficulty scale as most other maps on Legend, until you get to the end and it becomes a s**t show.

To those who want to say “get gud”, go for it. I can’t control 3 random players, half of which don’t speak the same language as me.

I’m simply stating that there should be balance. I should not be able to, with almost 100% certainty, beat every map on Legend with just about any pick up group, and then have a 10% chance of beating convocation.

I’m asking for balance, not asking for advice on how to try to make sure i play with a pre-made group that has watched youtube and studied the latest method of how to beat a specific ending that we changed the difficulty on for no perceptible reason.

3 Likes

I think i confused you with OP in the second part of my comment. Mb.

I’ve tried it a few times since it was changed and I have never seen a group successfully use the “checkpoint” strat. I was telling people to do this and I’m pretty sure I’ve been leading them astray by telling them that because it always fails. Only way QP groups beat it now that I’ve seen is if they get someone really tanky up top and have some good armor pen damage dealers to deal with the rot helms.

There’s no need to act so stuck-up.
I can clear most levels on Legend with relative ease, either with random players or solo with bots, but Convocation of Decay is my most-failed mission.

It’s much harder than other missions, and I don’t know why this is an okay thing, it’s the 2nd mission.
Getting to the end = fairly easy.
The end event = Incredibly hard - because, for some reason it keeps giving party-wipes even if people stick together, jump down together when needed and immediately take out specials.

There’s far too many armoured Elites showing up compared to other end events.
I’ve had 6 chaos warriors and about 10 stormvermin all at once pushing on my team, so we split into 2’s to try and break up the group, but with all the adds it was impossible.

Unpopular opinion maybe but I quite like this when some maps are harder than others. The variety in challenge feels good, and it feels more satisfying to beat a more challenging back.

Every map being exactly the same in any aspect is not good.

This thread is a year old

5 Likes

Good sir, please do not necro posts x)

2 Likes

Terribly sorry!
I hadn’t seen the date!

Bruh

6 Likes