Connectivity & Ping Issues Since the 3.4 Release

I agree it is bad, but I would like to get clarification on the purpose of the networking backend change

2 Likes
  • Connectivity issue description: Ever since the update my friends and I have been having connectivity and frame rate performance issues. The game seems to stutter more and we experience drops in frames but the more serious issue is the lag spikes that grow worse as we progress through a level until we eventually lag out with the game saying remote_disconnect. The game is not playable for us in its current state and we will be taking a break until it is resolved.

• Console log: console-2020-12-09-04.12.16-3964218c-c100-4221-b564-8f161611a125.log (1.2 MB)

• Region: North America (NA)

• Downlaod region: US-Dallas

This is about what I figured in the mean-time. But thanks a lot for your explanations. :slight_smile:
One point though:
It would of course technically be possible to roll back to using the old p2p-connection-method, given that a lot of people had a much better playing experience with the old way.

I am guessing that these changes were brought about in preparation for versus mode, were p2p-connections would not be an option. Well, we’ll just see how it plays out in the future.

Provided you’re in close proximity to one of those, the steam-server-performance is now determining your connection-quality. Is that correct or am i missing smth?
Germany has a bunch of Servers in Frankfurt with Germany being small enough to keep distances between German players and servers in a reasonable range. If even German players are experiencing connection-issues in the form of lag, the reason must lie with the steam-server. Guess i should monitor package-loss for those cases.
(I’m writing this as while the issue of increased ping now is clear to me, I still don’t understand how said ping feels considerably worse in terms of lag compared to the same ping when playing p2p previously.)

Thx in advance for any corrections/clarifications.

. I had always played with my friends from Argentina. And I used to have 40-50ms, but now I have 100+ms :frowning:
. console-2020-12-08-03.09.47-173ab5d6-54a4-43ec-9323-9f07e5d56737.log (1.0 MB)
. Argentina
. Argentina

Good job fatshark the ping problem my ping to my friend is back to comfy 60-70 (from 120-150)

Thank you!

1 Like

Playing as host or with a friend hosting ( Both from France ) and noticing huge spike of ping ( +300 ) for all the players, loosing synch with the enemies and ultimatly disconnecting us all (except the host)

This happend close to every games even after rejoining again.
Since the release of engineer update we can never have a decent play and it’s very frustrating.

console-2020-12-10-20.02.43-a321f57c-d952-49d9-a8ae-4e32dbbe4856.log (1.1 MB)
console-2020-12-10-19.12.29-f2c9d658-a4a6-4ad3-b854-d17e45ad01bb.log (2.1 MB)
Region : France
Download region : France/Paris

When playing with a friend in the same household we used to have around 20 ping, and it is now often above 80.

Download region Sweden Malmö

console-2020-12-11-11.17.00-b1d0843b-8475-41b7-919d-dfd1347de550.log (727.7 KB)

before patch 3.4 ping as client to friend’s host within same city was 50-85 , now it’s 135-165

region: Ukraine
download region: Ukraine/Kharkiv (also been experimenting with Sweden/Stockholm)
console logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jCH3n-yNeaDISwTpYdNnTbJsI-yREMak?usp=sharing

First things first: Everything feels and plays normally again.

I have no idea wether it’s just coincidence or if changes have been implemented in the season 4-patch without having been written in the patchnotes, but everything up to about 100 latency feels perfectly playable now, as I was used to. Been playing for hours since the patch and aside from a couple of ping spikes in maybe one out of ten games, no issues.

Download-Region: Germany (Frankfurt), was Munich before, manually switched with no improvements while having trouble, might try Munich again.

Valve have made some changes, but they might only be noticeable on the BETA Steam client. We suggest anyone suffering with eggregious ping since 3.4 should try out the new settings on the BETA client.

Steam :: Steam Client Beta :: Steam Client Beta - December 9th

The new client setting is in the “In-Game” section, at the bottom under “Steam Networking”.
Here’s the associated FAQ:

Steam Support :: Peer-to-Peer Networking and Sharing Your IP Address

NEW INFO:

All players in the lobby must enable this for it to be effective.

4 Likes

Hello again.
Tryed to switch steam beta today and nothing really changed.Tryed all settings (Never, Always etc.) We playing with my brother and his computer literally near mine,we have LAN connection.

Ping:110 ms, used to be 10-20ms before engineer update

Still can’t make p2p connection. Have tired both me and my friend switch it to “always”. But packages are still sent to relay server. Also, the FAQ says: “Always. Always allow the app to share your IP with any player. If the other player also shares their IP address, a direct connection may be established. If not, it will be relayed.”, and “Please note that the game may choose to force the use of a relay for certain connections, such as in a high-stakes competitive mode where DoS attacks are more likely.” This setting just allows app to use p2p, problem is instead of p2p, vermintide somehow set relay usage to first priority maybe?

2 Likes

Maybe some once-and-for-all clarification for some people:

Your Ping won’t go back to what it used to be, as long as Vermintide 2 is not using p2p-connections anymore. (See the previous posts by certain people). This means depending on your location your ping might or might not have gone way up. This does not necessarily have to be a problem.

I feel players should report issues that actually affect their gameplay, but not just risen ping-numbers for the sake of it. As long as everything in the ‘green’ ping-range feels playable well enough, there’s no actual issue.

In any case, I think future changes like these should be announced and some technical information should be given in the patchnotes to avoid confusion among the player-base as to what was actually changed. :wink:

I understand and you can be sure its not the numbers going high, i can feel the delay when i land hits, and my ping increasing on the hordes to 150+ (which means more laggy gameplay for us)

Still playable (and enjoyable) yes :slight_smile: but wish our connection be the same before the update ^^

1 Like

@Fatshark_Hedge
I tried the Steam BETA client and tried all of the options in that networking setting but experienced no changes in ping, even after rebooting the game and steam with each setting change (Default, Friends Only, Always)
Dunno why but the setting isn’t helping. It’s either a different issue, or the game is somehow ignoring said steam setting.

Since the last patch, it seems phantom swings, shots and pushes are more evident.
I get hit a lot more.

1 Like

Tried the BETA steam client with my group, we could not notice any difference whatsoever.

1 Like

NEW INFO:

All players in the lobby must enable this for it to be effective.

We all had it enabled, still no dice.

1 Like

Could you all try to set the sharing setting in Steam / Settings / In-Game / Steam Networking to Always and try again?