Yes, it's another Kruber/Halberd Thread. But

Yet Bardin get to have shield/AP options?

I obviously don’t get the design choice since Foot Knight and Iron Breaker were meant to play the same role.

Even the selection screen highlights the use of shields.

I never claimed for FS to owe me anything, I’d just like to be able to not be a liability while simultaneously tank for my group.

It’s mostly about class fantasy, but when other weapons pigeon hole you into playing them because of glaring superiority, it seems that your choices are really limited.

i’d like to have your feedback, or any tank mains feedback, in that thread. since you like tanking, how would you handle a chaos patrol pack for your party in legend?

this thread talks about how the halberd is the ultimate go-to weapon for kruber (i personally like the 2h hammer more) but basically this is in a scenario where everything is peachy and the team is just plowing through non-threatening scenes.

when your party has a boss, a horde, specials flying all over, and a wipe is imminent, that’s when tanks can shine.

But there’s nothing but a false choice between the 2 different shield options for Kruber. you can’t deal with armour at all very well with either option, and the extra cleave and damage to unarmoured targets on the sword/shield is slight enough that the mace/shield is better for the bigger push/block angle.

There’s very little reason to choose sword/shield at the moment as the damage is fairly bad and the defensive options aren’t as good as the mace/shield. It’s a false choice if you want to be using a shield and it needs a niche. Bardin has this choice, why not Kruber? Look at the stats on Kruber’s 1H mace, they’ve got a solid AP option on the heavy strikes. If this was ported over to his mace/shield and the sword adjust to be more defensive, then you’d have an actual choice to make, but as it stands at the moment you’re better off taking the 1H mace rather than either shield option there’s not really any benefit to taking the sword/shield on higher difficulties.

what’s wrong about sword and shield? I use it with markus merc and is awesome. Fast, really fast swing, skill that proc pratically ever shot and if you use block-bash shield you attack with a powerful thrust that penetrate armour. I can easily kill black rats with 2 shots.

For the rest 2h hammer have bad swing for waves control and exc sword is bugged.

However i think there are some problems with ALL enemies density because sometimes i swing air with shield when i surrounded by enemies like exc sword.

All weapons are viable in the right hands. No need to make everything equally effective. I’d rather have the devs focus on bugs instead of balance changes for now.

er wut?

it’s the best tool for horde clearing and protecting surrounded party members. you can clear out an arc of more than 180degrees every heavy swing…

I still use a halberd against the 10 chaos warrior patrols. Need to charge a lot, judiciously. It helps to have +60% push angle

1 Like

lol so it’s me. I love it to kill armoured ones but i can’t use it to clean hordes. I use better 2h sword than it. I would see how it will work, when fixed, exec sword. Have fantastic skins and do a lot of head damage

1. step back while charging heavy swing
  2. step forward to swing and clearout a horizontal arc in front of you
  3. repeat

try it! the feel of it is fantastic. there’s a loud SPLAT on each enemy hit, and they go flying in the direction of your swing if they’re small ratties. larger foes will stagger.

be careful of shields or targets that stop the swing tho, those need to be bonked on the head with light attack.

you are also able to spin your character around, effectively clearing out close to 270degrees. good stuff.

it may not have the range of the halberd, but every attack is armor piercing and you don’t need to aim so precisely.

I personally would say the halberd should really be more like the real weapon, primarily about AP thrusts. Having it still use the axehead with charged attacks would add some variety to it as well.

It’d make it’s high attack speed feel in line with how such a weapon should behave, while also making it as versatile as a halberd should be, utilizing it’s different components for different roles.
Using the axe on a halberd, in my opinion, should really be a lot slower, swinging around a polearm isn’t easy, even for ol’ Kruber.

They are already comparatively weak to armor (vs other axes), it seems rather weird that a one handed axe is the superior AP choice over the halberds axe, given that it should carry a lot more force.

Most of this debate is useless anyways now since the upcoming patch is going to change everything.
http://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/difficulty-specific-caps-scaling-and-buffs-arent-being-applied-to-hero-power/20013/17

I stopped using the Halberd because it made all his other weapons obsolete and worse, feel like crap in comparison.
When I play legend as Kruber my only real choice is the 2H for pulverizing armor. The sword/shield is only viable when you already have good AP and you can spend your time pushing/slashing hordes and using your charge (practically no one plays merc or hunter on legend) to disrupt the armored basterds long enough for your mates to cut them dowm.

I’m looking forward to running an Executioner Merc if/when they fix the phantom swings, but until then, it’s Halberd Foot Knight. That charge is just so handy for so many things though: Staggering dangerous armour, staggering bosses, CC, repositioning, clearing space for a res, catching up after playing rearguard, emergency horde control.

I’ve got a feeling Merc Kruber will see a new lease on life when everyone has almost no cleave in the next patch. Might even make the greatsword viable since it has pretty solid cleave on the heavy attacks. That’ll be a great thing to see.

The Greatsword has a major gaming sin. It is the most boring weapon imaginable.
Let me explain when you have the 2h Sword you go: left-right-left-right left-right-left-right left-right-left-right left-right-left-right left-right-left-right left-right-left-right.
Repeat that 2000 times and the level is done.
No other weapon can insult me just by being boring. This one does and It will rot forever.

PS. I totally forgot about the CHARGED attacks.
They go: left-right-left-right left-right-left-right left-right-left-right left-right-left-right left-right-left-right.

Is anyone noticing a pattern?

2 Likes

I was so hoping that kruber/saltz 2h will get some sort of stab or an overhead in v2.
At least a goddamn elf knows how to use the pointy end of a sword i guess.

4 Likes

Halberd is ok, don’t ruin the game with this tryharder nerf fixation… buff other weapons.

I really like the 2h swords base setup in terms of its use (Kruber and Satly should really use Kerris charge attack for 2h swords), the problem is THEIR RANGE (which were 120-180cm IRL) IS SHORTER THAN THE EXECUTIONERS (almost all of which were sub 100cm long) along with terribly slow swing and whats worse, recovery speed.

Incredible. It’s an even bigger piece of shjte than I knew. I will congratulate myself for despising/dropping the thing minutes after touching it, even if it took me hours to understand exactly why.

2h hammer with increased attack speed (as weapon trait and trinket trait) is most definitely the best horde killer for good ole Kruber (add a speed pot for increased fun!). That’s all I ever use for Krubzie especially for those heroic deeds with increased frequency of hordes spawning.

Experiment with weapons before making conclusions.

kruber’s a brute and salts is a fencer, so it makes sense they flail the 2h sword like a scythe around. even the elf pokes fun at kruber’s combat style repeatedly.

kerillian is a master of weapons though, almost all weapons have fantastic movesets (except the 1h sword) in my opinion. i keep switching up weapons every game just because i love all of them (again except the 1h sword goddamn that thing is slow)