What the f*** is this?

firsttime

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with you @alsozara .
If they cannot make due with great base rolls and 1 preferred blessing and perk than it seems like the game and it’s systems are probably just not for them.
This is unfortunately a FS looter, thus expecting to have your godrolls 9/9 is probably too much to hope for and guaranteed dissapointment.

2 Likes

I am a fairly measured person in general and don’t need the perfect weapon. But the system is deeply frustrating. Like half the blessings are kinda pointless. A few are just broken. So “good” builds for weapons are rare enough on top of only being able to re-roll one. When the patch came out I had a LOT of resources saved up and I dumped about 1.5mil credits into thunder hammer rolls and about 2-3000 plasteel into rolling for salvagable blessings and good contenders. I got around 10 “good” hammers, many of which weren’t better than my current hammer so I scrapped them for blessings. Leaving about 5 “very good” hammers, all of which had better base stats rolls than my current hammer but were worse in perks and blessings and unable to replace the hammer I started with.

That’s a lot of investment for no return at all and it feels bad. Very bad. Who wants to engage with such a system? It’s a dissapointment machine.

2 Likes

I know man, I do not dispute your own feeligns on it, if you are annoyed, irritated or pissed, cause you were expecting something better than that is how it is.
It is just worth remembering that how we take things often relies on our expectations. I for one, just try to take it as I go, playing some T4-5 sometimes getting a nice item, keeping a healthy pool of mats and spending what I have over safe minimum (2k plas.)
It is just not V2, you cannot just make whatever you want. Sad, but for now we are stuck with this approach form FS, so I just try not to add to my own frustrations.

I think one problem is that we cannot experiment with this system. Sure, I can tell that some blessings are just bad at a glance, but a good system would let me experiment with different gear, but that’s quite difficult here.

4 Likes

Yeah, I am exactly the same way. I will not bash my head against this system. It’s not worth my time. I clear Damnation with my sub-par gear and I have gotten lucky a few times… but yeah… I won’t play the looter game. I play my missions… see if I get lucky on some weapon, but I won’t bother getting invested in this upgrade system. It’s just not worth my sanity.

2 Likes

Stocism is very based but this is an objective review of a game system with the intent of helping fatshark make a better product we can enjoy more.

Its objectively bad because it is a dissapointment machine. If the game hopes to attract and keep a wider audience than weirdo diehards like us they can’t have dissapointment machines baked in to core game systems. Games thrive on dopamine. “The chase” has to have a realistic possibility of payout. This does not. My actions are mostly irrelevant to achieving the goal, because the RNG layering is too dense.

3 Likes

Well, the way I see it your dissapointment comes from your expectations. Thus it is not objectively bad. It is worse than some systems better than others.
Dunno, there are ppl that run 100 raids in Destiny to get an exotic… with fixed perks, so I am fine with getting good base items and then trying to tinker with them in this system.
Again if you are expecting to have your 9/9s then you will be subjectively dissapointed and that is understandable.
How would you like this to look like, that we can jsut craft everythign the way we want, or maybe a bit more control when upgrading items or just a copy-paste of VT2, any other thoughts ?

1 Like

I would say casual gamers make up a higher percentage of the player base and they aren’t willing to engage in this crafting system. I hate gambling and I stopped playing the game entirely, going back to Vermintide 2 where I got all perfect items and weapons within 600-800 hours of play. Darktide I am 250 hours with all players level 30, and the item system is so awful it ruins it for me to even want to play further. Trying to test various builds is the most fun I have in most games. Keeping my eye on balance patches and changing things around. This game, the odds are so against you, you could spend thousands and thousands of hours playing and never get what you’re chasing. No system design to keep players chasing permanently is healthy or good or respectful. “Let’s have the die hards chase perfect weapons and curios for eternity” whose idea is that for player retention and fun?

5 Likes

Wait what? That’s fine. Re-bless Limbsplitter to something better and you’re good? Don’t act like T2 Brutal Momentum is useless.

I get some people want to chase max rolls, but Damnation doesn’t need gear like that. At all.

Well, you can test all weapons and many blessings as it currently stands.
If your take is that you NEED a T4 blessing to try out a build, then yeah, you will be able too. Let us not kid ourselves here though, game is not super difficult and as mentioned earlier there is no content here, for which you require your 9/9 godroll items.
I understand the frustration of gettign your specific Blessing if that is the one build you want to try out, you will get it from Melk or actually completing missions eventually.

1 Like

For clarity, once again, i am not expecting my perfect 10/10 weapon.

The rest of your statement is correct to a degree. Like i said, stocism is based. I can freely choose my own goals and thus not be dissappointed. Which is what I do. But this system is quite counter to the natural instincts of humans, we know this thanks to extensive research on the nature or goal seeking behavior and motiviation. This system fails at its own objectives: player engagement and player retention. It fails at that because the goal a player would most likely and naturally have and thus look to use the ‘crafting’ system to achieve is essentially impossible with the system as designed. As a consequence it is an objective failure because the structure of the design of the system is at conflict with the expectations inherent to the system and the objective of the system. Its not just bad because I don’t like it and expect more from it than is there. Its bad because its at odds with reality.

Every person in this thread, including you, has basically said

well just don’t engage with the system then.

That statement, however phrased, is the definition of failure in game design.

3 Likes

The problem is that developers promised customization and did not deliver, they never advertised Darktide as a looter shooter so you can’t fault players for having different expectations.

4 Likes

If you’re testing breakpoints theories you need the ease of acquiring perfect gear. If the hardest difficulty in the game is too easy, you have a balance issue. Difficulties should be increased. Because someone will get lucky and get perfect gear making it (the game and it’s difficulty) even more trivialized. The game needs to be balanced around all gear and feat combinations and eventualities to be considered a “balanced” game to reduce meta chasing, to make builds feel like trade offs and decisions rather than mandatory.

Conclusion: people will get perfect gear. Game needs to be balanced around it. Everyone should have a fair chance at getting it. It’s insidious to trick casual players into thinking they have a realistic chance at acquiring them and will just cause hatred for the systems. If the game is too easy, make it harder.

1 Like

Not faulting players for anything, just having a healthy reasonable approach.
“Didn’t advertise it as a looter”, didn’t advertise as non-looter either and you can play on any difficulty with any weapon in this game. That argument is pointless.

Of course, fair assumption, for a well thought out game. We know it isn’t, so why focus on your perfect rolls ?

For the reasons I listed above?

1.) Theory crafting/building
2.) Balancing of difficulties
3.) To prevent burn out and hateful player tactics that cause the opposite of retention.

1 Like

That is not even remotely what I am saying, that is your interpretation, that comes form your point of view. Maybe read what is written again.
I am saying that expectring to have a godroll in this system is a folly. Nt saying you should not engage in it. Just don’t expect perfect weapons.
If you get a good base stats and can place a perk adn bless of your liking, it is good enough.

2 Likes

Again, no one is stopping you, tell us how it went after however much time you want to sink into it.
Until they actually make a balanced game, fix all other issues and add content, these are kinda mute points.

2 Likes

What do you think the psychology is of most players? That they would never go for perfect items? Isn’t it an endless cycle? If they get a 360 weapon with one blessing and perk that they want rolled in and things locked they don’t want… Don’t you think the natural next step will be for players to want to set their “goals” on improving their favourite weapon more and more until they can only get an “improvement” on their current gear until they DO roll perfect? That’s the whole psychological warfare that’s levied against the players here.

3 Likes