What happened to the game?

Make sure it’s not packet loss. You can have a good ping but terrible packet loss. Ping the FS forum with command prompt and see how many packets you lose over, say 10-20 pings.

EDIT: oh yea, should prolly tell you how. Hold down the windows key and push R. Then type in CMD. On the CMD.exe type in (ping -n 20 www.google.com) without the ().

I guess it doesn’t matter who you ping as you would be connecting to hosts, so Google is fine. Down the bottom you will see your min/max ping and % of packet loss.

Nice idea I do not suffer any package loss but my cmd closes immediately for some reason so I used PowerShell to run these.
It’s nice to be able to see what ping you should have to other places.

It’s not my connection.

0% Packet Loss (tested multiple times)
Have high internet speeds
ISP still uses PPoE (PPtp is obsolete where I live)
Connected to ethernet cord (always)
No other devices on network when I play (no traffic)
Updated router (was replaced 4 months ago)
It’s not my hardware because I had zero problems with the game until recently and it’s not my connection.

Problems still persist when I host.

“Made no changes” – Ubersreik dlc patch notes, December 10th, 2018 [source: http://www.vermintide.com/news/vermintide-2-back-to-ubersreik-dlc-out-now/]

All I’m asking is that you revert the garbage changes you made to how the game calculates ping. I’m almost 100% positive this is the only reason that I’m unable to play as prior to December 10th, 2018, I had no problems. Since the new changes, my ping has increased and fluctuates rapidly in a short period of time. This should happen and did not happen at all the entire time I’ve played this game.

I did not play between 12/10-12/15 and played one game on 12/16 which crashed before the bridge of shadows. I couldn’t get back into the game because of back to back crashes so I took a break and came back the Thursday after Christmas. This is when everything went south.

If this game didn’t play well on my computer during the CBT then I would have refunded my money back in February but the game actually ran beautifully. Ever since then, with every new patch, the game gets worse and worse. Congratulations, you got your money and put a dead game on my computer for which I’m no longer able to play.

Well done.

We didn’t change any networking behaviours, only how ping is visualised in the UI.

There are more people playing now then prior to B2U and the number of players reporting such issues hasn’t increased at all.

As with any online title, there will be players who encounter difficulties in maintaining a connection or who experience less than ideal situations, such as this. We do what we can to help troubleshoot with them as we have done via helpdesk and here for players who have difficulties, but there’s only so much we can do remotely with the information we get.

As noted, it might be a change on the hosts end. It might be a change in the ISP side for either party. There’s countless things it could be that we can’t see or fix per se.

That said we do have people on our team who are looking at improvements to networking with the game all the time, but time will only tell if they help your situation or whether there is something out of our control afoot.

7 Likes

Try to disable the mod: “Countries in Lobby Browser”. After I turned it off, ping became less.

Interesting, I’ll have to try that with some friends and see.

my friend used to always host, but I have to now cause for some reason everyone’s ping goes to hell when he does, yesterday I had someone else host and I shot to 2100 MS, feelsbadman.

Well, the new setting takes into account FPS and other factors. Which is why the ping seems so much higher. I think it even says in the description that if the hosts game dips to 30FPS, it will add on another 65ms ping. Which is why you see people with 110 ping but still have a green light. I haven’t seen it go as high as 2000 though O.o Most of my games are still around 30-80 ping with the new setting turned on. But I have seen games where other people in the party are 100+.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don’t think we should be calling it ‘ping’ if it considers this kind of thing. I hear ‘ping’ and ‘lag’ and think that it’s talking specifically about network latency, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’d rather see separate indicators for network and host performance. Being told that you’ve got green ‘ping’ while the game acts like you’re at 250+ gives the impression that the ping indicator is broken.

All of the issues seem related to pc specs.
A couple of weeks ago I had a lan with a mate and teamed up for vermintide. One was playing from a medium-high end computer, one a medium-low end laptop(cheap asus rog with SSD).
One disturbing thing I noticed while playing on the laptop is that the game seemed to not render enemies you weren’t looking at and would fail to render them unless you kept looking in that particular direction for a while. As in, hordes incoming from two sides, we would split to handle the threat. But whenever I turned around to check on him, he would be fighting invisible enemies most of the time.
The game has a somewhat hard time during hordes on champion and above. So many enemies spawn that the game resorts to clearing bodies before they even touch the ground. It is really immersion breaking.
So much that I now think the game could really use a reduction in number of enemies and buff their stats so slave rats need at least 2 hits no matter what breakpoints you have and so on.
Make the horde come from all directions so it can’t be easily handled by only one or two players while the others just guard the 6.
The game would only benefit from a change like this, performance, gameplay and atmosphere wise. My mouse will appreciate this as well.

Just a thought for the future as this is a drastic change from the current pace of the game.

1 Like

From my understanding, the higher pings we’re seeing now are due to taking into account the speed of the host’s machine. If it experiences slowdown, that would dramatically drive up the visualized ping, as their computer struggles to deal with everything it has to do. Hordes or certain particle effects can really affect this a lot.

Vermintide is a very system-taxing game, so this is really a good thing, as the ping can tell us not just how good the internet connection is, but also how good the host’s PC is. If they have a potato, it doesn’t matter if you’re in the next room, you’re going to have a laggy experience.

No thanks, just get a better PC. Also, there is a setting you can tweek in graphics, I think it’s called render distance. Hordes do come from all distances when it’s an ambush. There’s two types of hordes, normal and ambushes.

True, but I’d still have the gripe of slaying 300 rats in a room to be left with 5 bodies on the floor at the end of the day on high settings. In options I found only a setting affecting the blood spatters, maybe I’m missing something .
I realize bodies piling up can cause huge strains on the system and with current gameplay, the ground would just turn into a smoosh of scabby skin.

Seems like what I want is the deed modifier (harder, stronger, smth) only applied to all mobs, not just elites.

I wanna say it’s the last option in graphic settings. Not sure, I’ll check when I get home tomorrow. Got a 14 hour shift now

Oh, btw, found a solution for not being able to see the green fire and effects on low settings. On a legend discord I use, someone posted this. I tested it this morning and can confirm it does work.

"New information regarding stormfiend ground fire and boss walls for those of you who play on the lowest settings like i do and cant see it!

You need to go to your “user_settings.config” file found at %appdata%\Fatshark\Vermintide 2 and open it with notepad.
Change your “particles_capacity_multiplier” in the “user_settings.config” file to 0.2 then change the file to “read only” or you will lose all your settings because the game will change them back to default if you dont do this.
You will have to manually change the workerthreads and screenmode everytime you start the game up but that shouldnt be an issue and you will also get a “warning” saying that your settings have been changed back to default but it isnt true and you can ignore it.

You get some blood and weapon animation effects added back in but its nothing as absurd as the other settings and you can also see some special particles through walls and other objects (For example leeches) So this is just giving you more information on where some types of specials are."

My game is fine, some enemies spawn silently right on my back, but that’s all

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.