[UPDATED AT 2.0.10] What is wrong with Vermintide

i dont think they need to revert the combat changes, i think they just need to fix the new faction, fix the tons of audio bugs, and make special spawns just a little less frequent, cause the number is usually something like half of elite kills. i think they can keep temp hp cleave and dodge tbh. things were way to easy before.

4 Likes

Imho we have the opposite problem. You can be hit while dodging (I can’t see attacks from enemies concealed into hyperdensity) or pushing… without tHP to tank them.

At least we need an half way.

The problem I have with beastmen is that they are very silent, they can sneak up on you without any warning and spawns can be right on you or just when you go around a corner. The range on the attacks feels a bit off as well.

I’m not saying beastmen don’t need any changes but I got use to them (Sienna main) and handle them quite well now. The times I have problem is when the spawn is on you or when the group is split up and you get stuck in a corner.
I like the beastmen and the changes to dodge is refreshing you can no longer just spam dodge to the side. Except for Kerillian in my opinion, I do not feel that it is harder to dodge with her, could be because I don’t main her.

2 Likes

This is true.

Anyway the main problem isn’t “can I handle them?” but “are they strong as Skaven and Chaos”? Every faction must have pro and cons.

2 Likes

Thread updated with “new contents” after more hours of play and after seeing last patches.

1 Like

After playing Legend QP for a longer time I have come around on some points. As others have pointed out the difficulty spike between Champion and Legend is just plain stupid. In Champ I can run the weirdest builds and still be fine and in legend you get pounded for not having totally min-maxed your build. This shouldn’t be a thing. And I won’t go into detail on bugs because other people already did that much better and this should be the number one priority for FS.

What I really want to add to the conversation however is that IMO specials in legend are currently… problematic. To me there is just way to many of them and how they are distributed by the AI director is just weird. So seemingly they always spawn in packs of 2-3 with seemingly little or no consideration to the situation at hand. This makes it that either you have some specials appear in completely empty areas, making you effectively hang around for nothing. Best example is that small creek at the beginning of dark omens, just before the ambush-pit. There is allways specials there that contribute to nothing at all. Players just stand arround and wait to kill them.

On the other hand they just spawn into the thick of hordes, which especially for beastmen can be devastatiting. I’m quite fine with beastmen currently but having 2-3 disablers during a beastemen horde is just too much of a swing in many cases. So all in all specials either spawn in empty locations just for the sake of it (making them just annoying) to specials spawning on top of a horde/boss/patrol making that encounter a nightmare to deal with.

There seems to be no balance nor consideration for what to actually do with them other than just throwing them at the player in large numbers. Gutter runners that came out of nowhere increased tension because they used to be much rarer. Now they usually are just an inconvenience as player formation has become so tight (and gutter runners more stupid?) that even two or three of them are just there to prevent you from fighting for a second or two.

TL;DR I think that the vast amount of specials in QP are serving no purpose other than to annoy players. And the AI director isn’t directing so much but rather just shoves them in our faces, whether it contributes to the gameplay experience or not.

8 Likes

The reason why so many specials spawn now is because of the new talents that rely on killing specials. Players will compete (for the sake of NOT losing rather than chasing green circles) to kill off specials before they become a problem rather than competing to kill specials to proc a stupid talent they selected. It’s not like players can agree to take turns killing specials, that is just inefficient.

The blame falls on the new talents and how stupid they are. Remove all talents that require player activation and just give us only talents with a passive effect.

5 Likes

i feel like fatshark wants to keep the success rate of legion+ games under 20% … maybe less. it seems that fatshark thinks we’re not struggling enough on legion+. thus the changes. our goal should be convincing fatshark that it is ok not to struggle on legion+. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve spent too much time thinking about this for my own good - but I think this is the crux of the problem with legend feeling much harder. It’s not the changes to the combat mechanics that make it harder - it’s changes to the AI director ramping up the level of chaos that is possible.

The thing is, specials typically spawn in a few waves (and in pairs on legend) right before and during the waves of a horde. The numbers of specials HAVE been increased over the old legend. In addition, you also have horde waves mixing in elites - SV’s, monks, maulers, etc. So you frequently have a situation of needing to CC the trash while dealing with high damage armored guys mixed in (and trying to dodge their crippling attacks) - and then all of a sudden you get two gutter runners or double globadiers.

The presence of elites mixed into hordes compounds the difficulty of dealing with the specials during the horde because with the elites in your face it’s much harder to make space to safely kill the specials at range. Even if a teammate gets downed nearby to a hit or disabler, it’s much harder to rez them when there are multiple elites combined with range specials that break your block and interrupt the rez. In my experience, this is where the wipes happen despite seemingly good play and teamwork.

All of the above issues are MAGNIFIED immensely when it’s beastmen during the horde. The sheer size of gors makes it very difficult to see, let alone shoot through, the meatwall to kill specials. Moreover, the beastmen are quite tough and harder to CC than other enemies, so creating the space to take out specials at range is made even harder.

One recourse is being far more strategic (and communicative with your team) about where you are engaging and holding off a horde. You need space to maneuver and fall back in case of a gas rat bombardment. If a gunner shows up you need to be able to retreat around a corner and get out of line of sight. Ranged characters need to have some space to work and take out specials, with room to dodge random mobs that slip through the line. You still want to limit the angles of approach so you can better CC the hyperdense mobs, etc.

In short, position, position, position is the name of the game.

This adds a much greater burden onto legend if you want to be successful, which is a notable shift from pre WoM where dodge dancing meant you really didn’t need to think about positioning much at all once you mastered the basic dodge dance routine. With dodge dancing, team cohesion wasn’t really necessary at all. It now is.

EDIT: I’ve only had a small number of legend runs since WoM where the team played like a team. Even one person thinking about positioning that says “come here” can make a difference to getting the team grouped up. The runs where I had a solid team, we breezed through legend. When you don’t have that, it’s a total gamble with very low odds of success (below 10% in my experience).

3 Likes

Well I found this topic late?

A little too easy? Dynamic? Needed rhythm?
The fun part I can’t argue since I can see that point of view, but all I remember was being immortal and using macros.

Literally you could equip an AP weapon, hold down an auto attack macro and circle dodge your way around hordes, patrols monsters and whatever just by spamming the button.
Even if I didn’t do it, though it was almost as hard to try and override the muscle memory, there were group members who would.
This is something I’ve brought up back in pre-WoM when there were topics about the game being too easy and it’s something I will stand by. The dodge was excessively easy and, imo, needed an adjustment.

In hindsight, doing 1 change at a time would have been a better choice, and I would have started with dodge myself. I strongly believe even just doing that would have changed the difficulty landscape a bit, but not so drastically that it would impact the casuals in such a way.

4 Likes

I wonder if anyone has the actual numbers. I don’t know… maybe like Fatshark? What I’d like to see is how many purchases of the WoM were made divided by the active playerbase (say at least one game launch in the last couple of weeks to a month). Something tells me, that the above quoted statement is not entirely true.

No idea either! I can however tell you something completely anecdotal. :grin:

Out of the 120 steam friends of mine who play V2 with varying degrees, from a few hours to thousands, only 29 have bought WoM. Of course, this includes people who don’t enjoy the game or play as much etc.

I can only suspect sales haven’t been that great, but yeah, anecdotal.

2 Likes

Closest we have WoM Community Poll Patch 2.0.7

1 Like

Nah, not representative.

That pool is very much representative, most people don’t like current situation of the game, it’s complete mess, with insane amount of bugs and broken systems, without proper incentives… we’re basiclaly playing some experimental build… and reviews are showing even worse feedback then the 2.0.7 pool, Smoker created.

5 Likes

It’s a fallacy to theorize without data. Unless we have actual real money making numbers, these are all conjectures. It’s like saying that 99% of people hate Britney Spears after asking opinions on a Motorhead concert.

What are you talking about did you see the poll, do you read forums and reddit, were you in the beta ? The polls are data. The expansion reviews are data… important data.

Great expansions don’t have “mostly negatives” reviews, people complaining all over the official forums, steam forums, reddit …

It sure is not, this metaphor is sharing no similarities with what is going on here.

These forums are not full of anti-WOM players, there is wide variety of people who are more interested in the game than average guy. And then if you look at the big reddit posts, that were created after the 2.0 landed on official realm, then there you get idea how wider playerbase feels, and the sentiment was even worse than here on forums. People mostly being in agreement about major screw ups, some replies were at like 500 upvotes…

Those sure are not amazing, since all the negative feedback, people disabling WOM and other umgak that is going on… and even if in some weird scenario those numbers were decent, than it’s still epic fail because lots of people is pissed about this fiasco therfore they are losing long term players, they are not expanding the community.

If you want to work on game for many years, you most probably need happy community, not community that is complaining about things for year and half and those are still not being adressed …

I don’t want to write another multi page post on what a failure WOM is, so I will stop here. There has been written enough already.

6 Likes

I’m not arguing about the state of the game. I’m just saying that the ultimate goal of making a game is selling it - therefore that is where one needs to look. Since we can’t do it, we try to poll different subsets of the playerbase here, on Steam, on Reddit etc. But slapping “Negative” on a poll does not prevent people from buying the expansion and playing on. Hell, I know people who have rage fits about gameplay issues (not VT though), but they still play on - it’s just how addiction works I guess.

Yes but they said many times, that they are in it for the long term.

In that case they are doing everything wrong, since for a long term you can’t have people mostly being pissed and leaving the game while new expansion having very negative feedback (and providing close to no content for average player - basically only weapons and beastmen after they get balanced - still did not happen after nearly month… ffs). That’s the worst possible scenario one can be in, even if the $$$ were great. Which they sure are not… I would be happy to bet that this expansion is not doing well at all.

I did talk to many ppl on my friendlist, which are mostly the more hardcore players, and even those will tell me “hey I can’t play weaves with you, because it’s WOM only and I’m not supporting this umgak” or “sorry I’m taking break, this is just horrible, hopefully they will get it somehow together few weeks/months” etc.

I was never getting this kind of responses before.

Well there are exceptions, the big fans, that will play even when they game is not doing well at all, but even those will at some point break and just give up because of all the frustration.

Like for example me, I am pretty big fan, I got the DLC… I don’t care that much about 20 euro, but I’m getting more and more irritated by what FS is doing and thow they are unable to fix basic stuff and also can’t see for who the f… knows why the major problems, like the screwed up leaderboards because people can “cheat” their way to the top by just getting invited by top groups and completing some easy high weaves …

These and other similar things are like last drops into my already overflowing bucket of patience. Which is mostly filled by stuff like : not fixing reported bugs, pushing broken untested patches, not fixing stuff community screams about for over a year… not having proper rewards, creating terrible systems like weeklies or current weaves and so on… and all this while being told it won’t work 100 times.

7 Likes

It could be written by Grandfather Nurgle in a blazing trail of snot across the sky that WoM hasn’t been good at all, and some people would still say it’s been well received and there are people having a blast playing it. I’m sure there are, just not very many at all and although this time Fatshark might have covered their costs there is no business anywhere that can survive long by alienating customers - unless of course you’re some kind of low quality burger bar who turns up at a festival, serves a load of Sh*t knowing you’ll never see those customers again. This isn’t a good business plan for an online game.

When WoM is such a downgrade to the game that people are disabling it then that’s evidence enough for me that it’s backfired - of course there might be enough sales to justify the man-hours worked but it won’t justify the battering the reputation of the game (and the company) has taken.

Fixing the backstab whoosh has made a big difference to me, I guess I was just one of the players who didn’t look behind often enough so that bug (and all the others) has given me personally a horrible experience for the first couple of weeks of play. Launching things so buggy has done far more damage that the possibly perceived terrible content of WoM.

I suppose what’s really saddening that even once WoM is passably bug-free, the exact same issues that have been annoying players since launch are still there. Nothing to do with scrap/dust/jewellery parts… so no reason to open the 300+ chest I’ve got scattered across various types, no reason to ever do a deed unless I just fancy it (Why do a deed for a lesser chest that just adds to your dragon hoard of uselessness?) No point going into the weekly events apart from novelty factor and no way to get the hat I’ve wanted for 1200 hours. If they’d just done those things instead of WoM Each Dev would probably be wallowing in a swimming pool full of cash.

I hope somewhere in a meeting there’s frantic planning on how to get Lohner’s Emporium and a Deed Rework front and centre to try and recover some of this debacle.

10 Likes