Thoughts about sidearms?

So far we’ve seen your primary arm such as a lasgun, shotgun, autogun or autopistol and your melee, such as a shovel, knife/sword, force sword, chainsword and hammer, but what about sidearms such as laspistols, or hellpistols? Do we know if we’ll see any of these on full release? If not, would you like to see them? Personally I think the utility of a sidearm would be excellent, and a fun sidearm can complement a fun primary very well.

3 Likes

There are supposedly 70 or so weapons according to Fatshark so it remains to be seen. Since we already have a magnum for psyker I can only imagine there will be other pistol variants as well.

As for having your melee, ranged, AND a sidearm I don’t think that’s going to be a thing. That would skew the balance of ranged/melee combat too much in the ranged direction, and everyone that played the beta more than a couple of hours already knows how much of a problem Sharpshooters have hitting Q when things get dicey :laughing:

Personally I think after the closed beta, the gameplay is pretty heavily skewed towards melee anyway-- having melee, ranged, and a sidearm would make it a bit more balanced for players who want to focus on ranged gameplay. Not to mention it’d be invaluable on those higher difficulties with insane amounts of enemies, having something to fall back to would be incredibly useful.

1 Like

Maybe it can be a perk or replace the deployable slot

Maybe having the melee and sidearm options as another set of weapons? Like Laspistol + chainsword, bolt pistol + power axe, etc.

2 Likes

I’d like to have an option to choose a sidearm such as a las pistol or an autopistol for my primary weapon. This would allow you to pull out your melee while keeping your pistol raised. Right clicking would hipfire the pistol and left clicking would control the melee attacks. The downsight and a balance point is that you wouln’t be able to block or shove and would have to restort to more dodging and controlling your enemies with hitstun of your gunfire.

2 Likes

Plasma Pistol please.

1 Like

I think it would be cool for all characters to be able to equip a plasma pistol even though they can’t carry a plasma gun like the veteran sharpshooter.

If we have the 43 weapons from milkandcookiesTW’s video and theoretically if there are 5 pistols (laspistol, hellpistol, plasma pistol, bolt pistol and stubber revolver) and 6 1H melee weapons to use with pistols (sword, axe, power sword, chainsword, force sword, power fist) that’s another 30 ‘weapons’ to bring the total to 70+

Not to forget and discredit the stub/slug guns mentioned here. These were one of the first designs for pistols for the warhammer 40 universe. Here’s an interpretation of a imperial handgu- stub gun (easier to trademark).

ACK! Cursed gun image. IT’s got about a 3.5-4 inch magazine that is under the barrel not the action and the ejection port isn’t long enough to get a round out if it fails to fire.

You might be able to run some kind of over complicated long action claw to get the rounds from the barrel all the way to the rear, though that would require some wacked return springs and we have a MAC-10 style charging handle on top that implies a short action of a bolt which…

ACK! CURSED! CURSED!

This is an offence against the machine.

1 Like

It’s like someone was trying to make a bullpup and got lost half way!

No, it’s like a chaos warped mirror image of a bullpup.

MY EYES! MY EYES!!!

I’m not an engineer. In fact the closest I have been to being an engineer was when I played Team Fotress 2 as one. The design looks very aesthetically pleasing so if someone with better expertise in firearms fixed it on the practical side then I would very much be happy to find one it the game ^^. It’s also good to keep in mind that this is Warhammer 40K so most things can be explained more or less in a stretch.

Yeah I know, W40K is a cartoony universe, and I love it.

I just wish more artists understood what is inside these designs. There’s a lot of very specific patterns they need to follow. Like the magazine should be close to the ejection port.

When a person who knows how they work sees a design which is basically an artist who took a bunch of ‘gun stuff’ and more or less bolted it togeather without a thought for function…

…well, it comes out to someone who knows how they work… kind of like this car:
cargun

1 Like

Okay, I fixed it.

Well, sort of. It’s not the best photoshop in the world, (not even close…) and it’s still not an ideal design, but it’s a big improvement.

sPAZZStubber

1 Like

Yes. Also let it overheat and explode for both gun and pistol.

if it’s a caseless design then maybe the ejection port can be in a weird place since it’s only used for failure drills if the ammunition malfunctions. LIke it only ejects if you do a weird maneuver like rack the slide forwards or something

1 Like

Or when you have a laspistol, the addition of a combo button. Think of a fire selector, but it allows you to draw your melee weapon and strike with it using the special action button (lights and heavies are still tap or hold on that button). The only issue I see is figuring out whether aiming or blocking is more important for right click. I think blocking would be more important and just allow the laspistol hipfire to be slightly reasonable for the lack of aiming, and yes, dashing should be allowed for dual wielding. Reloading could take longer as a drawback to having the benefit of an always ready melee.

Edit: Better yet, because a laspistol really needs 1 button, to fire if you aren’t aiming, hitting the draw melee weapon button with the laspistol out makes it so you special button just fires and your mouseclicks act like the sword. Ease of use. Or whichever is easier.

1 Like

The pistols in MW2 are extremely cool. When you run dry on your main, you automatically draw your pistol while holding the rifle in your off-hand. Switching from rifle to pistol is faster than switching from rifle to some other weapon, which helps balance the lower power of the pistol in a system where you can only carry 2 weapons.

This seems to be the preferred technique with swat teams and specials forces and other cqb types. Use long arm until it stops, immediate swap to sidearm. Never attempt to clear or reload if you can see the enemy, as your time is too long.

Regular infantry would usually take grenades instead, or help with extra ammunition for the crew served weapons. (Weight budget)

Though I think Fat Shark intends that to be ‘sword time.’