Game needs a sidearm system…

It’s silly FS has to balance out laspistols and revolvers with bolters and plasma.

Game should have a third weapon slot for sidearm. This slot can be accessed quickly, unlimited ammo, and at short range would be ideal to kill trash and trappers etc. Could introduce bolt pistols, needle pistols, and 1H flamers.

You could also use this while downed, to kill the trash on your body until revived.

If the game won’t let us dual wield a chain sword and laspistol, I think this is the next best option.

10 Likes

It already has it - your melee weapon.

6 Likes

It may be something that lays in their future plans. There is precedent through the Vermintide games, or at the least in VT2, where Victor Saltzpyre’s rapier had a companion pistol. On tapping the rapier weapon special Victor would draw and shoot a pistol. It did little damage but it was a sort of semi-useful ranged weapon in the midst of melee combat or when you had run out of ammunition for your ranged weapons.

At the very least they are bound to have considered it, as the iconic armaments of Imperial Guard sergeants and officers are carrying a sidearm and melee weapon into battle.

4 Likes

This. I’d like a sidearm and a rifle, but Fat Shark figure IRL pistol time = sword time for the most part.

There’s been talk in the community about V1/2’s rapier/pistol combo coming to darktide, but nothing official.

1 Like

That’s what your melee weapon is for.

Now, there’s an argument that perhaps pistols really should be treated more as melee weapons, that’s effectively their IRL purpose (nobody wields a handgun as a primary weapon as a professional trigger puller, and nobody is reaching for a blade if their shoulder arm is damaged or out of ammo), but as far as DT goes, that functionality exists and is just tied to a sword/axe/knife/etc instead.

3 Likes

Thats your primary weapon.

Yes! Personally i think this should be available especially for the veteran class. But any class could reasonably do this. Even tabletop psykers have staves, swords and pistols usually.

Whoa there. I know ammo mechanics can be unfun but the limitation on ammunition is one means of forcing players to use melee.

5 Likes

Ok then maybe revolvers/laspistols don’t belong in this game unless they can be dual wielded.

So many great ranged weapons out there that can take their place.

Grav guns
Melta
Hellguns
Hotshots

1 Like

There’s certainly an argument for some of that, I think FS went a bit hard on the pistols for cool-factor sake, and lots of 40k characters/units that are really built around getting damage out of pistols often do dual-wield them.

That said, at the same time, the scale Darktide plays at is very “low” (e.g. the biggest and scariest things in the game are basically large and relatively lightly armored infantry in tabletop 40k like Spawn and Ogryn), where pistols actually could be somewhat viable, and lots of common/famous 40k weapons either don’t really make sense for the kind of enemies presented (i.e. how would a Meltagun differ from a Plasmagun aside from being shorter ranged and slower to fire against most enemies?), or are far too advanced/rare for disposable Rejects. Definitely would love to see some Hellguns/Hotshots at some point, lasguns with armor pen at the cost of increased ammo consumption could be neat.

1 Like

This and many other problems could have been avoided if a system similar to the Requisition of the Deathwatch RPG had been adopted from the very beginning, that is: you have a certain number of Requisition Points and you spend them to decide which weapons to equip yourself with. For example, let’s say the PC has 100 Requisition Points; the Laspistol will cost 20, the Boltgun 60; the Combat Knife 20, the Power Sword 60. So a PC can carry the Boltgun and the Combat Knife but not the Boltgun and the Power Sword.
(Of course the costs would also vary based on the quality of the weapon and its accessories!)
This way there would be no need to balance all the weapons equally, because the weapons that are supposedly OP would truly be OP. For example, the Power Sword might really be as powerful as all the manuals/books tell us.
I’m well aware that not everyone agrees with this idea, because it still opens up to certain criticisms, but in my opinion if it had been adopted from the beginning it would have allowed for greater versatility and eliminated this absurd need to ensure that a Laspistol is on the same level as a Plasma Gun and all the bullcrap like that.

2 Likes

Way to rare

Those are the same things

Frankly there are space for Pistol weapons, they are good on their own already, does the Revolver need a slight nerf still, maybe, but it’s fine as is currently

3 Likes

People would construe it as limiting and “forcing” to use lower weapons, like you already have people saying that FS push for “Non-40k weapons” over the “real” ones (Like Bolter, Power Swords…)

1 Like

Somehow I doubt they have the room to add another weapon swap to controllers. Equipable offhand sidearms that replace your melee weapons default alt fire with a ranged attack à la vermintide 1 rapier & pistol would be really cool though. But I don’t think there’s a chance of that happening since this isn’t CoD.

1 Like

Except Vt isn’t CoD and yet has it. New weapon line of Catachan Sword and Laspistol and doneso

That’s a neat idea. Would allow players to “weight” their loadout on their preferred combat approach (melee vs ranged)

1 Like

We are already insanely limited by movement speed, but it’s non-obvious. I’d go for this system if it wasn’t too tight and allowed me to move at knife speed.

It would be nice to be able to shoot while you’re downed, left 4 dead 2 style 0=

3 Likes

I AM NOT DROPPING MY BOLTER AND POWER SWORD COMBO!

If such system is ever implemented, I’m blaming (or BLAM!'ing) you. Vengence will be mine!

1 Like

Nice bolt pistol. When do we get one?

3 Likes

I think Macharia’s idea is great but the point examples he wrote would make a very tight budget. If we would get points for 3 weapons - primary ranged, secondary ranged and melee than it should allow two strong options or 3 medium/weak options. In case we choose high value primary ranged and high value melee we may end up without a secondary ranged - but it is basically what we have now. But in the same time it would allow us to have a different build with lets say a braced autogun + revolver + combat knife. More viarity more fun. But there should be a limitation that one ranged and one melee option is mandatory to avoid people going with two ranged options and no melee.

1 Like

Disagree on the infinite ammo, but a low ammo side arm could be fun. You could actually balance around very limited shots (15-20 total) instead while also lowering damage on things like revolver slightly.

Opens up options like using bolter more knowing you can always hit 3 (or w/e keybind) for a quick swap and quick kill on a hound, or trapper.