Game needs a sidearm system…

But that’s exactly the point. I would do it in a heartbeat, if it allowed us to have a really OP Bolter and a really OP Power Sword. Imagine a Power Sword that you don’t have to activate every time! And maybe with the system I proposed you could do the combo, which is much more faithful to the Tabletop, Power Sword + Bolt Pistol.

1 Like

Knowing Fatshark we will get current version of weapons AND point limit…

Monkeys Paw Paw GIF - Monkeys Paw Paw Monkey - Discover & Share GIFs

2 Likes

Oh, you’re so right! :joy:

However, fear not, my friend! My arguments are fruitless: as I have already said, that is a system that should have been adopted from the very beginning, now it is too late. So we’ll stick to what we have.

I’ll tell you that, despite having played the first two Vermintides, when Darktide came out I thought that Fatshark would abandon the idea of ​​“equalizing” all weapons, which in Warhammer 40K makes no sense. But no. Apparently a Laspistol is on the same level as a Plasma Gun and a Chain Sword is on the same level as a shovel… Yeah.

2 Likes

I can get behind a Sidearm system, but not one with unlimited ammo. I do say that a Laspistol would compliment my Plasma Gun VERY well, however.

4 Likes

Hello!

I’ve been gone from Darktide since I became re-addicted to FFXIV, and I’ve also begun playing Aliens: Fireteam Elite again, and I completely agree with the OP on the issue of sidearms.

In Fireteam Elite, each class possesses a sidearm with unlimited ammunition that serves as a last choice when you’ve exhausted all other options.

The sidearm can obviously not compete with your real weapons; it is rather weak, and did I mention that you can fight off disablers that have you pinned on your own in Fireteam Elite???

Sure, Fireteam Elite does not do melee, but having my Recon Veteran, a support/medic build that typically plays from the middle of the squad, run forward and start meleeing hordes never made sense to me.

With a single scratch from a Poxwalker, poor Quorin would almost certainly contract every disease known to man.

tumblr_md1ue1Xbah1qehl9po1_250

3 Likes

Power as points. You have 800 point limit and gear up depending on how much power you gear has (curios included)

2 Likes

So, if you take 3 blue curios 105 rating each, it means you’ve got 485 points for weapons… Yep. It just works…

1 Like

Well crap

I have 296 points remaining

1 Like

If they added this to DT I’d never use any other melee weapon ever again. When I learned that the dueling sword’s special wasn’t a pistol shot, my disappointment was immeasurable and my day was ruined.

2 Likes

Sidearms absolutely aren’t needed. If your gun or melee can’t deal with the targets you’re having problems with, you need to reassess the weapons you’re using and what to change about it. You are expected to melee almost as much as shoot - so do it.

Especially versus trash mobs, any melee weapon is at least serviceable when dealing with them - some are better than others, but usually tend to get a little overkill. Ammo is MEANT to be a high-damage limited resource… though some weapons and classes forget the limited (columnus mk5, plasma, veteran scavenger aura).

An infinite ammo sidearm gun is just silly to me. In the context of a game like Counter-Strike it makes sense, but Darktide’s gameplay loop seems mostly fine to me and so I see no reason to change it.

1 Like

I agree that it’s ridiculous that autoguns tend to be stronger than lasguns in this game when lasguns are used In Canon™️ because they have no recoil, high capacity, more damage output, and are easier to manufacture and keep up - but the simple fact of the matter is that if we could run around with storm bolters and eviscerators willy-nilly, that would be kind of boring, actually! You gotta suspend your disbelief and accept that game balance like this makes it more fun for all, and the bolter is not in any way an unviable weapon.

Remember that you’re not a SPESS MEHREN - you’re just Some Average Dude on what is essentially death row. Of course they aren’t gonna give you the top-of-the-line stuff, you’re a reject, and on top of that, you have an Ogryn of middling intelligence manufacturing working firearms out of scrap. They’re not gonna exactly be pristine or overpowered. Personally, if I were a plasma gun’s machine spirit, I would feel outright violated by being touched by an Ogryn. It’s a wonder they work at all.

If you want a game where you can really FEEL the power of the Imperium’s finest armaments, I think you should try Space Hulk: Deathwing. I’ve only played it for a little bit but the gunplay is very satisfying. Darktide is definitely more on the tryhard spectrum of horde shooters.

1 Like

It’s how things are in another horde shooter - Killing Floor 2. You have weight limit, so you can carry shittones of light weapons - like 3 pairs of akimbo pistols or something like rpg, rifle and pistol. Weight also affects your sprint speed.

Another mistake they’ve done i believe - universal ammo.

If it were different ammo types, like heavy ammo for bolter, plasma, flamer, explossive etc. Mundane for regular guns. Then magdumping bolter vet will not compete for ammo pickups with vraks zealot for example. And plasma/rumbler spam isn’t an option cause there is just not so many heavy ammo. (ogryn explosion weapons should count as heavy prob, and shotguns/machineguns as mundane)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.