The Trauma Force staff is the most useless weapon in the Psykers loadout

Whats the purpose of this thing? It generates massive amounts of peril, the kill rate on this thing is abysmal, it just sends things flying, the AOE can go through openings in stairs so you can miss entirely on accident. Whenever theres a horde I’m just flinging things around instead of killing it while generator more peril than any other Warp weapon in the game.

I just did a level 2 mission, for context, heres my Trauma Force staff I was using

I saw a docile horde not moving. I charge up my staff, plop the explosion dead center, and it barely killed any. I killed like maybe 2 and the rest got sent flying. Whereas I couldve used Voidstrike and killed the entire group for less than half of the peril generation. What in Gods name is the point of this staff if it sucks at killing?

7 Likes

I think they know, like, statistatitotalically.

A better thread would be : make staff blessings interesting.

Imagine coming into someones elses thread and telling them what they shouldve posted instead. Heres an idea, how about you make the post instead of coming in here and telling me what I should be posting?

No. CHTUL HANDSOAP and only speaks truth.

That Ogryn looks cursed.

It’s not just about raw killing, the crowd control is pretty good.

2 Likes

The crowd control of the trauma staff is awful.
The aoe knocks enemies away from the center of the aoe, so unless you purposely miss the enemies with half your aoe, half of the enemies you hit, will be knocked towards you.
Also, CC via knocking enemies away like that, kinda sucks because it spreads the enemies around as well as preventing people from headshotting and cleaving them properly, meaning the enemies will stay alife longer and become more dangerous once they get back on their feet (because they now likely come from multiple directions).

Also, the enemies you do CC with the trauma staff, would likely just be dead if you had used a voidstrike staff.

If the trauma staff had bigger aoe and woud just suck enemies in, leaving them stuck for a while, instead of blasting them away in all directions and putting them on the ground, it might be actually useful.

5 Likes

I love how the trauma staff plays, and landing hits on hordes is very satisfying, but you are right in that it deals very little damage, costs way too much peril, and its charge time is too low to compete with other staves. If it was buffed in all 3 of these regards it would become an incredibly fun and useful ‘precision’ weapon.

It could use some better blessings, like one that applies soulblaze to enemies in its AoE on fully charged bursts to synergize with feats.

1 Like

I really like the idea of it sucking them in or only knocking enemies down where they stand or backwards, as otherwise the staff is working against itself.

That would be cool and make it feel different for sure. Visually I imagine some psychic meteor striking the target area and crushing everyone “down” - like a big foot from the warp.

The other thought was to just change the staff to work like the coruscation staff from VT2, where the area you target becomes a small warp storm that deals damage to enemies within it. So instead of being a “CC” staff, it becomes an area denial “trap” damage staff.

1 Like

It’d also be interesting to merge the two staves and instead of a fire (or fire like) damage over time area, it creates a area that pulses a repeating damaging knockdown burst. So when enemies get caught in it they can’t just casually walk through.

3 Likes

Love the idea of a gravity well or whatever you want to call it.

Alternatively just stagger the enemies in place when they are hit by the trauma staff and make the gibs ragdoll away for a purely visual effect

Gotta agree. Got myself a trauma staff with warp nexus and +6 rending with fantastic stats (373 base rating, low end quell speed) and it doesnt do anything well. It just costs an extreme amount of peril.

On a broader scale, I think rending is a really bad stat. From what i’ve read from devs 1 rending = 5% armor bypass. so 6 rending is 30% armor bypass on flak/carapace. Its not really that much more damage unfortunately. It already does respectable damage to carapace, it seems like its of the “warp” type just like our force sword special or our brain burst. Even when i get my rending to 100% via an uncanny strike blessing with a melee weapon, the damage is pretty bad on armored targets anyways. Better off just using force sword charge, which rending on the surface appears to augment very little.

Things that bother me about trauma staff:

• Blast radius has an absurd range of values making low level ones feel especially awful. Possible range of values should be much narrower so low level variants don’t feel so bad. Also true to a lesser extent of charge time stat.
  • Needs either close to max damage roll, + infested perk, or damage at higher peril feat to one shot pox walkers in the epicenter on Damnation. Like a 10% damage buff would be enough to rectify that.
  • Damage table is weird and shows double the actual damage values the charged cast does. Should really be rectified to avoid confusion.
  • Uses too much peril
  • Stairs are awkward AF for aiming the ground AoE. Aiming generally could be improved, effective range is a bit needlessly short.
  • Rending shockwave is a bit pointless when trauma already does roughly similar damage across all armour types
  • Soulblaze on crit blessing doesn’t work on secondary fire (whyyyyyyyyy)

All that said I actually like the staff. It feels like it has an interesting niche in dealing with mixed hordes. With high blast radius stat and a dense group it’s very possible to kill 10+ horde enemies in a full charge cast while heavily staggering every elite nearby. The outer lighter stagger range also extends absurdly far beyond the UI indicator, you can chuck a cast down between the poxwalker and groaner group in the meat grinder and see both full groups get staggered by it. It’s actually an obscenely bigger AoE than VT2 conflag. Also conflag didn’t even kill trash mobs on a full charge cast in Cata from memory so I’m not sure why I’ve seen so many people call it “worse conflag” (not aimed at OP just a comment I’ve seen thrown around a lot when people talk about trauma).

Anyway yeah I wouldn’t argue it’s secretly best staff or anything but I think some relatively minor tweaks and it’d be very fine. I enjoy using it as a fairly melee heavy Psyker. Usually throw out 3 full charge casts then run in and mop up with Duelling Sword as quietude quickly tops up any toughness I might be missing.

4 Likes

every staff is useless

This staff generates way too much peril.

Needs to generate 75% less peril.

Peril generated from channeling needs to be reigned in. You generate more peril charging than most staffs from spamming attacks.

And takes way too long to charge. The minimum charge speed should be 1.5 seconds, because that is brutally long for a low damage crowd controller. Any Trauma staff with a charge speed stat less than 60% is nearly unplayable.

I’ll go further and say that Charge Rate and Quell Speed are fairly draconian stats to have on Force weapons. If outright removal is out of the question then they need to have their minimums drastically boosted, because it really does feel more efficient to switch off of force weapons to let Quell happen passively.

Back to trauma staff, last thing I’d like is increased Outer Blast Damage. Just a little more oomph to make sure enemies actually get hurt in the 1-3 blasts psyker can do before switching to melee.

Besides that, I managed to have a little bit of fun with it. It’s fun to make enemies ragdol into the air, and it sounds great.

1 Like

Much as I hate to be positive about anything, I have one that is pretty good. Two shots anything under a giant,

What matters on this is charge speed, radius, and quell speed and resistance. If you get that damage can be 1%. They use a lot of peril, but if your quell speed is high enough it doesn’t matter. You can get two max shots off, quell, repeat. It’s easy to put the circle where you want it -exactly- and even at the extreme of medium range, though it hasn’t the long range potential of the void strike. Also note mine is +20% to unarmored and flak. That’s +20% to 95% of the game. Five full charges can finish most hordes, a full charge fills most narrow hallways/choke points. Usually when I set it off it kills every pox walker in the first shot, the higher stuff mixed in on the second, and only a few require a part charged 3rd, and usually my team gets them. Maulers and crushers get BB.

I like this staff, like it a lot, and it brings both a tremendous amount of damage and a tremendous about of stagger to the table… Also I have a charge speed blessing with a close to max roll on charge speed and radius… Add in a close to max roll on quell and then on top of that one on peril resistance, and I got a have god roll here.

I want to be clear though, when I say I get massive damage and massive stagger, I’m likely getting off three times as many shot as you are in half the time because of the roll I have. (another tip is put quell on a easier button then R, like a space mouse thumb button, so you can stay mobile while quelling peril, with or without the feat.)

But also, I got lucky since you can’t just go buy one like mine. Crafting needs to be finished so you can.

Wrong.

Ohey, didn’t realize you posted over here too. Nice work blocking me because I pointed out it actually has some uses, sorry you can’t handle opposing viewpoints :slight_smile:

Maybe someday you’ll learn that it’s okay for people to disagree with you and that you can’t just handwave everybody away.

tl;dr: Staff is mostly okay and just needs some minor tweaks. Sorry you can’t use a 400+ rating staff in a T2 difficulty, that’s not on the staff.