The rise of toxic players?

Gotta find friends to play with. I have about 8 people I switch between when I play. Even when we don’t have a full party, we have enough to kick toxic players (which we have only had to do once). Sorry for your experience so far. No one should be harassed because of the character or weapon they picked, even on Champion. Anything is viable in the right hands, especially in a game like this that emphasizes player skill.

3 Likes

maybe once they get the game in a spot they like they will add a in game player reporting system

I haven’t really met toxic players, just the amount of people with zero situational awareness is baffling.

3 Likes

i especially like to see people running off solo to get a tome or grim, getting jumped by an assassin hookrat or lifeleech, and then saying ‘oops’ lol

there are people out there that are not nice. but u know what i found out? if you’re the one carrying them, they normally don’t have anything to attack you over. sad but true.

That’s not what I mean, sure it’s annoying but that happened to me and it has happened or might happen to any player if they let their guard down for a moment. Everyone makes mistakes and I can laugh about mine or others (unless it happens like 3 times in a row lol).

What I’m talking about are players totally oblivious to the situation like having a Chaos Spawn appear in a tunnel and fight it there instead of falling back to a more open space or coming across HP potions and kits and the only player without a tome heals up and takes a potion instead of a kit which he could heal others with, or having a horde spawn and instead of positioning in a choke point or corner and watching each others backs staying in the open and run around.

yea the good players will get bitten from all directions and learn to keep their backs and flanks to a wall.

i try to bunker in most of the time but when i see the team engaging in glorious open field combat, there’s kinda no point because no one is following you anyway. LOL.

u cant do that sorta stuff on legend, so it works itself out.

The second you can’t play a game the way you have fun playing it should be the second you reconsider playing that game. I’ve been playing this game less and less, and my friends who are new to Vermintide decided they had better games to be playing than one filled with such a leet community… Sadly…

During my playtime, I have encountered toxic players.

I think how they are dealt with, and what levels are acceptable, will depend on how the dev wants to handle the community.

That said, I am against uncivilized behaviour in gaming. I think toxicity, in any level, is bad.

I hope my experiences, and of those who had a bad share of toxic players in their games, improves as the game progresses.

But the lack of mechanisms to punish them is disconcerting. And I do believe toxicity should be punished, and then erradicated.

3 Likes

Can’t fully agree with what I think your saying. While toxic players are bad, going to far to eradicate them is worse. An example I used before is overwatch’s latest thing where they dig thru there players YouTube and social media comments for what many describe as “wrong think”.
A tactic also used by Twitter that has turned it into the failing echo chamber its today.

I think the best action would be to simply add a personal blacklist and let players themself choose who to play with and who to not. There those who don’t care about trash talk and those who thrive in it.
One simply have to look at eve online and there goon swarm that were known to excel at trolling.
Not only were they one of the biggest playergroups in the game but the game also thrived while they were the running faction.

As such I think the best option is simply to give the players the option to control there player experience. It will allow everyone to be happy. Be they trolls, casuals, leets, sensetives or simply shitlords who enjoy the trash talk.

I respect your opinion.

Though I feel the personal blacklist is not enough.

Overwatch tried it before, and it didn’t work. Blizzard removed it.

I also feel most of the times, when you face a toxic player, it’s already too late to avoid having your enjoyment reduced.

If, to avoid facing something you dislike, you have to blacklist an entire, renovating, playerbase, I think you are punishing this kind of player that dislikes toxicity, while protecting the toxic players.

Though I understand what you mean, that Fatshark may be of the position to not censor toxicity. I hope they aren’t, though!

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from but I have yet again to disagree.

The inherited problem with censoring “toxicity” is that offense is by its nature unclassifiable.
It’s like the old saying goes. “Offense is taken not given.”
Because of the fact that offense is based on the feeling of the person hearing or reading it something that one see as playful banter can be taken as something hurtful by someone else. And the censoring of words always carries the problem with the lack of context.

As for people having to face toxic players Im going have to take the opinion of that they simply have to learn to deal with them. The world and the internet is’t a safe zone where everyone is nice and pleasant. And I pray it never will be. Rudeness is a challenge and one that we’ll grow from facing.
After all as gamers challenges are our bread and butter. While a rude comment might put you down for a time you shouldn’t let it overtake you.
Get angry. Get better! And when you gotten good enough that you leave the rude person behind . Call him out on it and tell hit to git gud. It will make him angry, make you feel better and by the end of it you gotten better at the game thanks to it.

What Im trying to say is we can’t let these toxic players force us to change the way we play with either.
If we go all the way to eradicate any toxic players we’ll end up with a game with so much censorship and rules that it will become stale. The lose talk we have with each other will be caught in the mix and the community will become something stale and dead. And I don’t think anyone here want that. We all enjoy a few forum brawls and discussions.

I understand there are some who share your opinion, but I think it is wrong and ultimately detrimental to the gaming community.

Searching the most recent articles, we see many major companies are taking a strong stand against toxicity. Here are some for reference:

This is probably where our point of views diverge. I hope someday the internet and the world will be a place where everyone can be good.

I do not wish to tell someone to “git gud” and make him angry, and I do not believe that there is a connection between someone being toxic and a good player, nor someone being against toxicity and a bad player. I also especially won’t feel better by making someone angry as a payback.

I understand your position, but I am against it. I believe we are aiming for a different future in gaming and, I hope, yours does not come to pass.

I don’t think eliminating toxicity equals to a stale community without diversity. One can have complete freedom of opinion, and express it, without being toxic, in a civilized manner. And I am of the opinion this has to be enforced, and hope it is in this game, in the future.

2 Likes

Which, I would like to remind you, isnt because they are actually against toxicity, but have their sales in mind … you dont sell a product (well) that gets a bad reputation from your customers.

2 Likes

I do not suppose to divine their intentions without proof.

But should your opinion end up the truth for some of them, I don’t think it is entirely wrong to make your product more competitive.

I believe a toxicity-free community is very conducive to a good multiplayer experience.

2 Likes

Indeed.

On that matter: I hate Riot for introducing this word to the video game community, its a get out of jail card nowadays, nothing more.

It’s a shame how toxic some communities are.

But for every predatory company or executive, there are devs who are very passionate about their games, and their communities.

I think they are trying in earnest to have as many people as possible enjoying their games in a positive manner.

Let’s not forget there is a correlation between toxic players and hate-speech.

1 Like

I guess were at a impasse then. Now I understand your point, I seen it many times in the years of this culture war we found ourselves in.

But while the media sings there praise to companies that gone far to eradicate toxicity like marvel or magic: the gathering. There numbers don’t lie. Both of there franchises are dying with marvel only being kept alive with there movies.
I can’t put much trust in entertainment media with topics like these. Least of all gaming media who have in many cases clearly shown there political leaning.

Now I understand your wish for a more “civilised” or in my view censored future. But it would be a horrible place in my eyes.
Not only would the means to get there have to be Orwellian but it would mean the death of gamer and internet culture. A culture that needs a bit of roughness to exist. With its crude memes, dark jokes and trolls.

It creates a environment that is more open and welcoming then any I ever found.
I wish you all the best with your goals and efforts, but I hope with all my heart that you fail.

I have experienced hate-speech in other games. But in Vermintide, not yet. I hope it remains that way, and that a report system is made functional.

1 Like

Can we have a Fatshark Dev Team reply if they intend to work on moderating player toxicity?

Maybe @Fatshark_Hedge?