"The other blessing that was not chosen will become locked."

How can you think this is OKAY? After all you guys have put us through?

It has been statistically impossible to acquire decent gear, and this is like adding salt to the wound.

Your product WILL be boycotted if you do this.

We have ALL had enough.

14 Likes

I actually don’t think this is bad with the intended crafting changes. It allows for a reasonable amount of grinding to get gray items and then upgrade till you see a good blessing. Once one good blessing is there, you know you can roll the other.

That said, the amount of bad will built up from launch till now will make it seem still too small a step. If this system had been in the game since launch I think people would be fine with it, but now it seems too-little-too-late for many.

2 Likes

How can you write this out in actual words and claim it isn’t that bad.

Just read it out loud to yourself and tell me this isn’t one of the stupidest mechanics you’ve ever seen. This isn’t “reasonable”, it’s just pure RNG. The game’s progression is: Buy grey item with good stats, upgrade it with very scarce ressources to see what blessing it has, and if it doesn’t, throw the item in the trash. That’s not grinding for anything, it is playing the lottery. You don’t even get a “good drop” or anything that is directly tied to your playing. Everything is just loaded with mechanics in between, where it should be a matter of one or two simple steps.

5 Likes

I have over 500h and have yet to find the weapon which is my favorite with the single blessing I did like it to have…

Maybe Im just too much of a boomer to understand what a “reasonable amount of grinding” is these days tho

13 Likes

The math is bad. Especially if you are talking of MAX perfect items (especially curios). You could play 10,000 hours and never get max gear.

2 Likes

I want the locks to still exist but they need to be unlockable somehow. Say after a week they unlock, as modifying too much on a curio or weapon is volatile and would break it, so you can only do one at a time. Still gives a sense of progression and it doesn’t brick loot you’ve found.

Is it statistically unlikely to acquire (A) decent gear or (B) max rolls, or (C) one specific arrangement of weapon type, attributes, perks, and blessings all at max rolls?

There’s a huge difference between all those things, and you definitely don’t need Type C weapons to beat Damnation.

1 Like

Just had a horrible thought that this game’s balance is dictated by the poor RNG and that the very few people with “Type C” weapons are bored out of their minds… and that the rest of us sweaty try hards will eventually get there, too.

Well it’s not so extreme as I’ve presented it, but it’s a factor.

I mean if you happen to go down in a Damnation run and spectate those other players, there’s often still 1 in every random mission that is fairly clueless and not dodging, sliding, prioritizing specials, using the right attacks, pushing, etc.

Weapons can trivialize things, but they’re definitely not the primary cause of failure. If you take any of the really good players out there – the ones that really understand the game’s systems – then those players will be fine in Damnation even with basic ~350 Blue gear, honestly. The stuff I called Type A gear last post (decent gear, but not particularly great).

I have recommended that if they want to force locks on us we should be able to upgrade locked perk and blessings tiers.

Upgrade the locked Perk requires just D mats to get to t4
The locked blessing requires just D mats and also the same tier blessing already unlocked in your vault thing.

Aka if you do get a cleave on weak point kill t1 you can up it to t4 if you have the t4 blessing already unlocked and have the mats to spend.

Just because you don´t like it doesn´t mean that everyone thinks the same. Also there are dozens of games acting like this… you reroll something and the rest will get locked. That´s the real endgame in any looter-games. Grind… or you could just enjoy the gameplay.

Exactly.

Poeple are way too focused on their max-gear. I can understand it in some way, but the most stuff don´t even have that big impact on the gameplay. There is only a handful of perks actually assisting builds like more crit for proccs or soulblaze on crithit. Or you´ve a perk that lets you block range-attacks, but that´s it.
The most other stuff is just flat damage. Might be good for breakpoints, but it´s not needed and doesn´t have any impact on “how to play”.

All what max gear is doing is making things easier and so far even more boring since the real intention to play this game is its somewhat challenging gameplay.

1 Like

It might actually be exactly like that, tho. You don’t even need a group to be level capped to clear Damnation as long as everyone is together.

1 Like

Damnation is too easy but there are still a few notable crutches at the moment. Also not having reliable access to Hi-5 is a big issue. I’d like to see how things look with a few of those crutches removed (I’ll save discussing what exactly those are for other threads) then see how the difficulty looks. Also if they make fixes to mission select.

From there difficulty can be tweaked accordingly.

2 Likes

Yeah I mostly agree.

I do think high-intensity is a pretty bad design, and would prefer if…

• Difficulty is difficulty. We don’t need sub-difficulty as a condition. Meaning: both high and low intensity should be removed.
  • Condition is variation. Hounds, Fog, and Darkness are a good start, but we need more conditions (including enemy-specific conditions for basically every other enemy type in the game, including monstrosities). These should vary the way a mission plays, but shouldn’t be a big increase/decrease to the difficulty of that mission.
  • Add a difficulty. At least one above Damnation. Possibly a second between Malice and Heresy, as that’s currently a fairly big bump; or maybe just tone Heresy back a little, since it’s pretty close to Damnation as-is?

Has to be done carefully though, because each new difficulty is a significant increase to matchmaking buckets (In a game which already has a small population). I’m sure their internal data (on difficulty popularity and completion rates) would be a great guide in terms of what actually needs to change.

I have to imagine there are V2 veteran groups out there which are just totally bored with Damnation because they were used to high-Cataclysm missions and they came to Darktide as a tight-knit group. But of course DT has to carefully balance how much it cares about that very small group vs. making the game fun for the majority of players who fall far short of that Top 0.5% of players.

1 Like

But I want the type C weapons so I never have to look at Fatshark’s itemisation system ever again.

3 Likes

Ah yes… nothing better than just an other system that disrespects players.
Are you a masochist?

This makes no sense. All special conditions change the difficulty. Just in different ways.
High and low int simply do it in a way that feels more organic.

• High Intensity is one of the most liked special conditions (as far as i saw).
  • High and low intensity allow players to ease in to the next higher difficulty, and to increase max difficulty by a bit.
2 Likes

arrested-development-david-cross

4 Likes

Look, they made something and are more likely to compromise because people have voiced their opinions rather than just get rid of the work they put into it. I also think you’re misunderstanding my suggestion. I’m not saying add an RNG system that might destroy your weapon while rerolling, just that you can only reroll a certain stat, as many times as you want, once a week. The only implication this has is the weapon you found with good rolls isn’t going to be instantly top tier and you may opt to use another weapon you have until you can change the second perk or blessing. And if you wanted to try a different blessing a couple games and decide you don’t like it, you’d still be able to change it back.

A week of lockout is nuts for this type of game. Restricting RNG mitigation is bad enough already with a lock, but imposing a week’s lockout is going into MMO levels of wasting your time. There are enough systems that actively disrespect player’s time played (armoury, melks’s shop, contracts, map selection) and you want a week’s lockout?

Perk-wise, there’s already a static cost to reroll, so you’ll need to run a few games to keep rolling.
Blessings wise even with the new system you are still at the mercy of consecrating and shop RNG to get the replacement blessing, and you want to add a week’s wait to reroll?

Put it behind gameplay or grind, something players can do something about, not a static time lock. Or maybe don’t have locks at all.

2 Likes