The Ogryn Ultimatum: Titans Among Men

I recently had an experience in-game that prompted me to reflect on some concerns regarding Ogryn play and team dynamics. During a particularly intense moment, I witnessed a Zealot player hastily dispatching a fellow Ogryn who was struggling to keep up. While I understand the urgency of certain situations, it struck me as disheartening to see allies turning on each other when we’re all ultimately fighting for the same cause.

This incident got me thinking: are there underlying issues with the current state of Ogryn gameplay? Is it a matter of individual player builds, or could there be shortcomings in enemy AI that disproportionately punish larger characters like the Ogryn? Perhaps newer players aren’t fully aware of the intricacies of taking cover and utilizing slide/dodge techniques, leading them to mistakenly believe that Ogryns are invincible tanks.

I want to emphasize that my intention here is not to criticize or belittle anyone’s choice of character. Ogryn characters are undeniably one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game, and I would hate for anyone to feel discouraged from playing them. However, I do believe it’s crucial for us to address any potential issues that may be hindering their effectiveness in combat.

I urge both the developers and the community to come together to discuss these matters openly on the forums. By sharing our experiences and insights, we can work towards finding solutions that benefit everyone and ensure a more cohesive and enjoyable gaming experience for all players.

The only issue Ogryn has is that it’s so powerful and effective that many people consider it downright boring. Plus relatively little weapon and build variety, which adds to the problem.

They’re absolutely not underpowered or out of place in any way, and anyone who suggests this doesn’t know what he’s talking about. As for why it’s often espouted, it’s exactly as you say

This is what 99% of “ogryn sucks!” complaints boil down to. They just havent learned to slide and think ogryn is exempt from it in all situations, when in reality it’s only most. They’ll either learn within a couple hours of gameplay or they remain Ogryn brained IRL and never learn it. It’s not a game design issue very much

2 Likes

Nah you just need to build toughness and he is the wall. Somewhere around 200 and you’re effectively invincible with like 66 toughness back from single target heavies let alone multis. His toughness damage reduction stacking on his HP one was never fixed, they just removed the tooltip. Ironically the Ogryns I see take the most damage and go down run HP, like 530~ HP leaves you pretty low in toughness to where shotguns can one tap it even hitting both +25 nodes and a couple +15.

Also the new shovels were an absolute tragedy, thankfully they’re so boring to use I rarely see someone taking all the fun out of the game with them. But slab is fun. There’s just a lot of bland pointless attacks like all the horde moves on a shield if you have brutal momentum. Or the power maul that just got 2 targets added to the heavy attack targets and very little else in the way of buffs while the Crusher was overhauled into a good weapon.

1 Like

Ogryn is busted. Very easy and effective character. Anyone on your team who can’t keep up with Ogryn is uhhhhhh, well it’s 100% a user issue.

1 Like

/thread

Changes I would like to see:

• nerf ogryn ability to farm toughness (maybe increase toughness pool)
  • give him archetype ability - on a perfect dodge push out trash enemies from your way (v2 slayer talent, fits ogryn thematicaly and will remove annoyance when puny poxwalkers block you)
  • Lights need more interesting stuff, some utility - add new variations like overhead fist bonk, pommel strike. Heavies should be either extremely slow but extremely powerful like Kruber’s exe sword heavy, or tricky to chain (but if they will nerf toughness farm heavies probably be ok as they are now)
  • if there is no engine limitations give ogryn ability to grab trash enemies either toss them, or crush (doom 16/eternal glory kills), this was suggested by @Index aswell

Ogryn isn’t veteran or zealot but big, ogryn is a weapon by itself, animalistic and childish at the same time. It’s kinda ok for ogryn to be unwieldy a bit, a juggernaut, the siege tank form Starcraft.

1 Like

grab puny rager head an squish like melon, sah

as for the gap in movement speed considering zealots blowing full speed ahead:

*if he manages his own, fine
*if he´s checking nose first whether the cleaning servitor did a good enough job of the floor, he´s
staying there for a while, “is all i´m saying”

movement wise oggy plays just fine, dodge and slide (when server graces me with response) feel fluid and believable enough to build a move-set around him.

sometimes its rather to easy just sliding towards a wall of shot-/gunners having them literally miss the sliding barn door coming for them.

it´s like oggy´s “noclipping” as soon as the slide move starts.

i think the character attracts a certain slower playing people hoping of forgiveness in terms of “tanking” more shots than actively evade or shape an engagement proactively.

so two extremes of the spectrum i have witnessed myself, the zealot far ahead and the oggy dragging his knuckles in the back, those are skill issues though that got nothing to do with what physics ingame are capable of once utilized to full potential.

personally i prefer my charge as it allows to initiate more encounters rather than simply react to them while also being a “oh-sht” button when buddies get swarmed and downed.
most enemies get trivially controlled by running them over just as well so its a very handy tool.

taunts are okay-ish, but i implement them solely into my shield build and use it as a damage multiplier for heavy strikes, rather have them killed fast than standing bunched up.

dakka-gryn might be fun, not my cup of tea though as it feels to sluggish when moving from one chokepoint to the next, miss my charge everytime i need to be in two places at once.

what gives a bad ogryn-vibe to the masses is people not knowing the class AND map design, lacking behind even farther not anticipating areas of engagement or proper placement in advance, this is even more visible in poorly played oggies since a rushing zealot falsely gives the aura of confidence in the engagement he´s about to provoke.

ChatGPT post. You guys can’t spot them?

1 Like

Crash the AI worshippers. For the Omnissiah!

Down with Cyberstan!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.