Suggestion / Inspiration: Cosmetic Painting System + Hallowette implementation

Warning: Effort post ahead - Reading time between 5 - 20 minutes.
Since this is a full “sales pitch” for a concept, feel free to skim through.

The Idea:

Summary: Relating to the thread For the Drip, and what it could be, I figured I’d flesh out on the concept of content delivery of the separate skins, armors and patterns.

The idea is simple: Rather than having one pre-defined armor with “only” one look and new variants being handcrafted recolors of one another, you instead get one item skin per type as a base with it’s original look as the pre-set.
You can then customize the cloth / leather colors and pattern, the metal type used for armor parts and the patterns on cloth or armor.

Not only is this in the spirit of player customization, it’s also in the spirit of Warhammer Kitbashing. It allows creativity on our part and it is a profitable endeavor nonetheless.

Examples:

Summary

Specifics - How to get what:

Summary

Staying in line with currently established systems (Penance Unlocks, Commissary Ordo Dockets Store, Cosmetic Aquilas Premium Store, Event unlocks) I suggest a soft conversion of current cosmetics into the new system.

Advantage For Players: We get more freedoms with the cosmetics we already have. You can add that dark red and it’s black symbol pattern from hard mode penances onto other unlocked or purchased cosmetics.

Advantage For Fatshark: You can secure a continous stream of income from the free ingame content, as one thing builds onto another through this new interactivity.
The value of my free items boosts the value of what’s purchasable and vice versa.
An unlocked penance armor right now is uninteresting to me when making future purchases, because the skin stays the same.
In the new system, that free penance armor I already have can incentivize me to buy a new color or skin, when it looks cool on that penance armor I already have.

Below my suggestions for handling the conversion into the new system:

Unlockable with penances:

Summary

Easy difficulty: (Can be achieved in one attempt or one sitting easily)

• Some of the current ‘common’ penance gear
  • Some of the similiar to current penance gear (varied accessories shifted around)

Medium difficulty: (Requires many attempts or several sittings)

• Most of the remaining penance gear
  • Current penance colors:
    • simple red, blue, green, yellow (prison garb colors)
    • Earth colors: brown, brown-grey, olive, grey

Hard difficulty: (Requires heavy effort, high concentration or extensive playtime)

• generally things that say “I am a Darktide Veteran / I love this game”
  • patterned dark red
  • one other skin
  • one metal that that cannot be otherwise gained
  • one pattern / camouflage that cannot be otherwise gained

Unlockable with ordo dockets (+Aquilas, more to that later):

Summary
  • White (with and without pattern)
  • Black (with and without pattern)
  • Patterned Sand color (current Zealot recolor)
  • Patterned Dark Blue (current Zealot / Psyker)
  • That one desert camouflage

Items deserving of the Premium Aqulias Tier:

Summary
  • Anything with gold in it (white-gold, black-gold, red-gold, blue-gold, etc)
  • Extended camouflage skins like black digital camo, jungle camo, etc.
  • Extended patterns such as multi-color stripes, royal symbols, spades, etc.
  • Multi-Colors that apply different color to accessories and armor parts
  • Pastel Colors
  • Any other pattern that clearly took a lot of effort to make
  • Different metals / materials for armor (at the moment there’s brass, gold, iron, dark iron, bleached iron, dried blood red and carbon types)

Event related:

Summary
  • bright-red - forest green (Christmas / Candlemass)
  • black with orange pattern (Halloween / Thanksgiving / Geheimnisnacht)
  • something sunny for midsommar (Why not induce some of your swedish holidays? Prepare the event + skins befor it starts, let it run until you guys come back to the office)
  • White / pastel light pink (Going with the Easter bunny theme)
  • chinese dragon pattern in gold on red (Chinese New Years)
  • something japanese inspired (Golden Week in April to May)
  • something inspired by Emperor’s Day
  • something relating to Atoma Prime / Tertium (surely they have a holiday of their own, this is a lore building opportunity)

Pricing Suggestions and Value Propositions:

Some players have asked for more transparency / streamlining of the shop. At the same time there is effort in this work and it should of course be fairly compensated.

Chapter I - Intro - Ordo Dockets Cosmetics with Aquilas - An idea for convenience

Summary

All cosmetics from the Commissary (Ordo Dockets store) should be also purchasable with Aquilas optionally. This way some players will save on Ordo Dockets grind and you can get some extra Aquilas sales. Classic convenience for money.
This also gets you the chance to get sales from free added content you will release in the future.

In the implementation it could be as simple as an extra button in the Ordo Dockets shop “buy with Aquilas”.
Important: It needs a separate confirmation window, so accidental button presses don’t trigger an Aquilas purchase.

Here I’d value as follows (Earnable cosmetics are cheaper compared to premium items):

Each "generic" item (single)      =  150 Aquilas (~ 0,75 $/€)
Each "generic" set (full)         =  250 Aquilas (~ 1,25 $/€)
Each "Valuable" item (single)     =  250 Aquilas (~ 1,25 $/€)
Each "Valuable" set (full)        =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
Each "Legendary" item (single)    =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
Each "Legendary" set (full)       = 1000 Aquilas (~ 5,00 $/€)

'Colors, Patterns, Metals
Simple "Ordo Dockets Color"       =  250 Aquilas (~ 1,25 $/€)
"Fire Waste Weapon skin" 1 weapon =   50 Aquilas (~ 0,25 $/€)
"Fire Waste Weapon skin" all      = 1250 Aquilas (~ 6,25 $/€)
'The Commissary should come with cheapter Aquilas prices.
'After all only a chosen selection of non-premium items is acquired here.

Chapter II - Main - Hallowettes Premium Store - Streamlined Prices, Quality Wares

Summary

Proposed Changes to the shop - Write-Up:

Summary

At the moment, the shop prices are confusing. A clear pricing structure cleans up and incentivizes bulk buying of items. It feels more reliable and also makes me warm to the idea of looking forward to new releases. When I know that you, Fatshark, will price X at point Y, I feel more assured that what’s to come is fair.
In light of this I suggest taking mostly 250-steps for Aquilas prices. A detailed list for everything below, but generally speaking, I consider 250 to 500 is fair for smaller items and common quality stuff. 750 and 1000 for premium items. 1250 for bigger things or with outstanding quality. The 2000 line (10 $ or €) should be only broken for full sets, extra premium deals and other such things.

In previous posts your Community Managers expressed your desire to differentiate between “ordinary” gear and significant / quality gear that took longer to create. This too can be respectfully translated into this pricing scheme.
I will reference this as ‘Iconic’ gear from here on out. I want to add that iconic gear really should be iconic. Examples from competing games come with special VFX or other goodies that make them stand out.

As for the shop itself: Instead of a shop rotation, I suggest your catalogue simply being awesome as a sales pitch. Doll the store interface a little up and make it a catalogue to water the mouths of the onlookers. Inspiration and creativity really do sell. I promise you that.

Having different colored skins and patterns already available from previous purchases means players will want to experiment with the new armor sets. “How would that look with skin X, metal Y and pattern Z?”
By invoking this curiousity you end up incentivizing more purchases, while also giving customers more value as they can apply a purchase on other items they already have. People are even more likely to become repeat buyers, rather than staying one-time purchasers.

Lastly, I suggest making “full release” bundles. Say, you release a full set for each archetype and they’re all thematic with each other - Allow getting all of it in a bundle. Release these thematic bundles in intervals like you would a DLC patch or content drop. This way a regular revenue stream can be created, without overloading the playerbase or underdelivering.

I suggest a rate of 1 “Iconic” release to 3-4 “ordinary Premium” releases. Make those Iconic releases truly feel special and they will sell like hotcakes.

Here my price suggestion based on what I feel is fair:

Cosmetic Armors:

Summary
Each "Premium Accessory" Tiny single piece    = 250 Aquilas (~ 1,25 $/€)
'Things like the Auric Brand, small items to round out a look
Each "Premium Armor" Not part of set, single  = 1000 Aquilas (~ 5,00 $/€)
'Full headgear, backpacks and the like
Each "Iconic Armor" Not part of set, single   = 1250 Aquilas (~ 6,25 $/€)
'Truly iconic gear, like a separate armor webbing or something big

Each "Premium Armor - Legpiece" Setpiece      = 1000 Aquilas (~ 5,00 $/€)
Each "Premium Armor - Chestpiece" Setpiece    = 1000 Aquilas (~ 5,00 $/€)
Each "Premium Armor - Headpiece" Setpiece     =  800 Aquilas (~ 4,00 $/€)
Full "Premium Armor Set" all 3 above together = 2500 Aquilas (~12,50 $/€)
Thematic "Premium Armor" Bundle for all       = 5000 Aquilas (~25,00 $/€)
'Example: Red Cadia Themed Armor set for every archetype

Each "Iconic Armor - Legpiece" Setpiece       = 1250 Aquilas (~ 6,25 $/€)
Each "Iconic Armor - Chestpiece" Setpiece     = 1250 Aquilas (~ 6,25 $/€)
Each "Iconic Armor - Headpiece" Setpiece      = 1000 Aquilas (~ 5,00 $/€)
Full "Iconic Armor Set" all 3 above together  = 3000 Aquilas (~15,00 $/€)
Thematic "Iconic Armor Set" Bundle for all    = 6000 Aquilas (~30,00 $/€)
'Example: Krieg Armor set for every archetype

Colors, Patterns and Metals for Cosmetic Armor:

Summary
'Colors and Patterns (Armor) = These can be applied to all cloths
Colors "Premium Strong Saturated", each       =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
'Ultramarine Blue, Firebrick Red, Forest Green, Lemon Yellow, etc.
Colors "Premium Desaturated Pastel", each     =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
'Columbia Blue, Coral Pink, Pastel Green, Lemon Chiffon, etc.
Colors "Premium Multi-Colors", each           =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
Pattern "Premium Camouflage", each            =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
'Jungle Camo, Black Digital Camo, Desert Camo, etc.
Pattern "Premium Stripes and Symbols", each   =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
Pattern "Iconic Gold Infusion"                = 1250 Aquilas (~ 6,25 $/€)
'Can be layered on top of any cloth and it's color

'Armor Metals = Applicable to all metal parts in Cosmetic Armor
Armor Metal "Premium - Common Metals" each    =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
'Brass, Dark Iron, Iron, Steel. other alloys, etc.
Armor Metal "Iconic - Rare Metals" each       =  750 Aquilas (~ 3,25 $/€)
'Gold, Whitened Iron, Copper, etc.

Weapon Skins:

Summary
Weapon Trinket "Premium" single               =  250 Aquilas (~ 1,25 $/€)
Weapon Trinket "Iconic" single                =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
Weapon skin "Premium" single                  =  100 Aquilas (~ 0,50 $/€)
Weapon skin "Premium" all                     = 1500 Aquilas (~ 7,50 $/€)
Weapon skin "Iconic" single                   =  150 Aquilas (~ 0,75 $/€)
Weapon skin "Iconic" all                      = 2000 Aquilas (~10,00 $/€)
Weapon skin "Unique / Legendary" one weapon   =  500 Aquilas (~ 2,50 $/€)
'Unique weapon skins are one of a kind. Should have special VFX effect
'or another extra that makes it outstanding

Originally I also wanted to discuss earnable Aquilas and such here, but I figure they’re their own topic. This is already very heavy for a single thread.

Really curious to see the input from this.

• I’m in favor of this idea. And the pricing seems fair.
  • I’m in favor of this idea, but I don’t agree with pricing.
  • I’m in favor of this idea. And I’d prefer Aquilas get dropped for real store prices.
  • I’m not in favor of this idea. I prefer the Unique items we have now.
  • I’m not in favor of this idea. And I also don’t like the Hallowettes shop in general.
  • I don’t care for cosmetics either way. Never have. Never will.
  • Other / My opinion isn’t represented in this poll.
0 voters

Let’s go.

11 Likes

I’m gonna be frank: I really don’t want to see Fatshark making more cosmetics to sit behind a paywall. I understand operating costs, but if they really want my money, they need to up the quality and provide more bang for my buck than they currently are. The fact they’re spending valuable resources on premium cosmetics rather than improving the game is not something I wish to encourage.

6 Likes

Best idea of 2023.

1 Like

You know you’re running a bad online shop when the community can easily theory craft both more profitable and favourable to the community premium store

This is awesome It really hope this gets some serious attention and fatshark actually put some effort into the shop rather than the premium shop being worse than the regular one.

Modern game company put effort into digital goods they charge a indie game’s price for challenge. Literally impossible.

4 Likes

They’re going to provide more paid cosmetics either way. With this system in place, it will all be more modifiable and the same will be true for what you already have unlocked now.
As of now, there is only one way to wear the cosmetics you do have. With this idea in place, you can apply different materials and skins onto the cosmetics you have, making them stand out more.
It’s an improvement in every way.

It also irks me that this game hasn’t gotten the “premium” treatment it deserves thus far.
Darktide is a game full of potential I dearly hope that it will get there. It’s so much more fun and engaging than Vermintide and the Vermintide games were already great.

1 Like

I love this topic (Book).

1 Like

I agree… this is exactly what I ask for a long time.
Excepted the part about weapons models… and cause I have seen what they have in the game and was exploited by the mod weapon customization.

I would agree that they sell… I will shock all of you… new weapons

And introduce something like the weapon customization mod that allow to build any weapon you want. So you would have several “bodies” and you would build your gun around it. Purely aesthetic part that would not give any bonus.
But, and I know several will hate me, they could sell DLC with a weapon… like the melta.

I am really not against they monetize, what I am against is that they give us poor content overpriced. And this, is not acceptable when you pay for it.

4 Likes

New anything would be nice

4 Likes

And you certainly weren’t the first or last.

I wholeheartedly agree. There are absolutely skins out there that I would buy if they were the right color/fit with the colors in my existing drip.

1 Like

100% on board with this!

In addition, I think every item bought should make the default camo for that item applicable to other items. (Not sure if that was mentioned in OPs post). That way you have 2 possible reasons to buy an item: you either like the shape or you like the color scheme.

4 Likes

Since “The Traitor Curse TM” is coming, here is standard “out of context” Slaaneshi joke:

3 Likes

Not only is this in the spirit of player customization, it’s also in the spirit of Warhammer Kitbashing. It allows creativity on our part and it is a profitable endeavor nonetheless.

Yup, It’s always been massively popular to offer players a dye system, would be a big upgrade for the tide series.

5 Likes

Yeah but selling lazy reskins is in the ‘101 guide of how to easily milk whales’

Along with needlessly fomo store that’s incredibly slow
Treating premium as dirt
And waiting 2 weeks to do a re-release

I love they they are just trying to copy AAA game’s stores but are doing a horrendous job of it.

2 Likes

That’s pretty good. That’d incentivize purchasing items when you don’t have that color scheme yet.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.