Sienna Unchained Explodes instantly on hit

Issue Summary:

Not sure if this is a bug or not.

Playing as sienna unchained on legend. I’m playing with overheat in the red, but not at skull. A boss (chaos spawn) hits me, and I instantly explode; in a different round, but same map; a berserker hits me (it may have been a 1-2 hit) and I instantly explode. In both cases, I was expecting to get the red skull overheat, and then have a second to vent using my utility, but this didn’t happen. In both cases, it was just instant detonation.

Is this intentional or is this a bug? I haven’t had this come up for a while, so it’s entirely possible that I’m just confused about the mechanics and remembering the past differently.

In both cases, I was playing on legend; someone else was hosting; the map was Fort B. If traits and loadout matter, I had Barkskin, Shrapnel, and Decanter. The hit by itself would not have downed me (fullish health).

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Play on Legend, Select Sienna Unchained; Join a game (I don’t think I was hosting?)
  2. Build up your overcharge; a little under max
  3. Take a hit from something big – but be sure you have enough health so you wouldn’t go down from that hit; it might also be several smaller hits.

Reproduction Rate (Choose One):
Unusual (< 25%)

Additional Information:

[Attach Your DxDiag]
(Press ‘START’ and enter ‘DxDiag’. Select the DxDiag app and allow it to load. Once loaded, click the 'Save All Information…" button and save to a location of your choosing. To upload, click the ‘Upload’ icon within the post controls.)

[Attach Your Session Console Log]
(Navigate to C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Vermintide 2\console_logs and locate the log that corresponds with the particular session in which your issue occurred. To upload, click the ‘Upload’ icon within the post controls.)

[Attach a Screenshot and/or Video Evidence]
(Screenshots and/or video evidence (if applicable) can be particularly helpful. To upload, click the ‘Upload’ icon within the post controls.)

1 Like

That definitely a bug, you should always get the skull and a few seconds of panic before detonation. Even if you get hit more in that state you shouldn’t immediately detonate.

1 Like

I have actually had a close-buddy insta-detonate a few times. That being said, they detonated on Righteous stand in the Barracks just as we nicked the first Grim. I think he took a good clobbering from a Chaos Warrior and exploded right there, but I can’t be sure.

Thanks for posting this! I’ll get my crew together and see if we can’t replicate it… plus, I really do enjoy watching him get whomped by big stuff!

Yeah, a Sienna explosion is always a good time.
You made me think about replicability more seriously, so I’ll amend my first post. Thanks.

1 Like

No, thank you! Lots of bugs go unreported because players don’t think they can get them fixed. I’ve never taken the time to look at it in depth either… I’m just glad you reminded me! Maybe someone else will read it and recognize it too.

This has been an issue even in the versions prior to 1.3. According to this 2018-10-08 post, Why does Unchained insta-explode sometimes?

I believe that it has to do with your remaining health when you lose control of Sienna and she starts to flail about before exploding.

It seems that when you enter the state where she flails about, it also starts to drain Sienna’s health, but if you don’t have enough health to survive one of the damage ticks, it just downs you and the overcharge explosion occurs at the same time.

When you overheat you start rapidly losing HP if you are hit you also loose HP on top of this. Lets say you overheat at 10hp and take a hit at the same time you insta pop. This holds true for all Sienna’s not just Unchained.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or is intended behavior, though.

2 Likes

Interesting. I think that’s plausible for the time I took the chaos spawn hit, but not the 1-2 from the berserker; in that instance I had roughly full health and the barkskin trait. Berserkers certainly do a lot of damage, but not enough to have triggered the event in the manner you/they described.

Still, maybe there’s another mechanism at play – if overcharge is pushed over some limit (that isn’t visible past the red skull) , maybe it triggers a detonation? This is all conjecture on my part.

1 Like

If your hp reaches 0 while exploding you do insta exploding, this is fully intended.
Don’t underestimate how much damage berserkers do either, try to record the insta explode if you believe there’s a bug in there.

2 Likes

A video would be suuuuuper handy for this.

2 Likes

I can confirm; took my team out for a few games and we did some controls for the explosion followed by a few pops from a CW. The moment HP hits 0 there is a detonation which can be accelerated by damage.

@Fatshark_Hedge sorry for not recording! Next time I will. Needless to say, I would call it a feature… I don’t see why this isn’t reasonable behavior. Then again, I might be as crazy as Nurgle, so make your own call.

I don’t stream, so I don’t end up with video recordings and this happens rarely.
This time, it happened under something that is more repeatable.

The setting was legend; I was fighting the boss of warcamp; I had an essentially full red bar, but not at overheat. He either kicked me or did a the AOE downward slam. The explosion was near instantaneous, and it happened while I still had life in me.

I think the effect comes up with sienna at a near full charge, when she’s hit by an attack that knocks her back.

Of note, this has happened when I’m not the one hosting; I rarely host.

This has happened to me as well but as Battle Wizard on the Garden of Morr map.

I tend to keep my overheat within the middle range but not to exceed the 2nd line (preventing major slowdown) as the Tranquility passive keeps me safe. I got hit by a single shielded chaos guy and I detonated but my overcharge bar did not even increase. It was right after a horde and I was having major lag spikes so I just assumed my game wasn’t properly lining up to what was actually happening.

If my ping is over 200, I get hit, grabbed, and pounced by invisible enemies. Do you know how silly it is to be dragged by a hookrat you can’t see??? Lol good times :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.