Regarding Toxicity in voice

Had a game today, just a nice and casual 3-diff quickplay. Now admittedly that’s not always a recipe for harmony, but generally groups aren’t too sweaty and unpleasant on 3s. But I digress.

We’re approaching the end finale (climbing up the tower with the demon hosts you have to clear before rotating the platforms around to progress up the levels) and, drunk with the possibility of being a positive voice, encourage the two players who have consistently been playing together but always away from myself and the other player to group up and join us for the final push. Something like “Hey guys, let’s get together and watch each other, we can do this finale!”

Big mistake. Cue a barrage of sexist, sexually suggestive and abusive voice comms from a Russian-sounding individual. Obviously I can’t repeat any of it here or a CM will ban me. We pushed on, finally both of the trolls left the game after getting downed by dogs. The mission was ultimately a success for me and the one random who hadn’t said anything. And two bots, which was nice for them.

Now I’ve been 'git gud’ded more than once in the past, I know ‘the internet’, but the ferocity of how these two came out was… Pretty shocking, even to cynical me. So, my question, after all that backstory: What can you do when you’re on the receiving end of such abuse? Block in voice and move on? Is that all? Is it worth recording all my games from now on in case I have to report this?

If nothing else, thanks for coming to my TED vent.

13 Likes

I have had not quite as bad as an experience as you but unfortunately this game and 40k in general attracts Toxic players. GW and many others has said there is no room for this kind of Toxicity in the fandom a few times. What I do when I find such bad eggs is block them so I never have to see or get paired with them again. I have heard their is only 50 blocks one can use but these two seem worthy of the block. They will get banned or whatever if they are like that outside voice so don’t worry about the cretins and just enjoy when you can.

1 Like

just say slava ukraini in response…

but i turn that voice chat rubbish off.

7 Likes

Personally I’ve had nothing but bad experience with mic users myself, that’s why i have voice chat disabled by default in my settings.

3 Likes

I would like a mute chat option as well.

(excluding callouts; Thanks! Need Ammo! Need Healing!)

In Vt2, the tab menu had player-specific mute buttons. I haven’t had to use it in DT yet so haven’t looked for it. Is there anything like it in the esc menu social tab? I’ve had to kick a few and I recall there being a few other options on that same pop-up. I know there is a block option but I don’t know how effective it is.

Block is okay. Leaves the members on the team for the current mission but everything from them becomes invisible and then makes it where your never in the same instance or lobby with that person.

A basic, easily accessible mute/block function should really come standard in these games tbh. Even if it’s not for toxic behavior, back when I played Payday 2 I’d put people on my block list just for having their mics open. Gonna be essential for me if DT ever gets crossplay with console.

I turned my voice chat volume to zero.

During my 100+ hours of playing with the voice chat on, i have not had a single player say anything worth listening to, but i have had a fair share of loud and obnoxious players abuse the voice chat, so in the end i figured i might as well just take the whole voice chat thing out of the equation .

I suppose it’s all hanging on that last point. What else is there to do but block and move on? Do we need other tools? Is there a way to remove voice by default and should we even be thinking of turning off voice chat with randoms? It’s me partly venting, partly trying to use the experience to get more people than just smooth-brained me thinking about the voice-chat feature and how they use it.

But attention? Nah, that’s what my onlyfans is for. Obviously. :roll_eyes:

To others - yeah there’s block and mute features, and definitely they do work. They’re a bit fussy to get to, having to navigate an extra menu click (which is often a bit risky in a hectic 4+ game), but it certainly operates. Sad to hear that (so far) so few folks have had positive experiences. I want to remain positive, but… well, big oof.

3 Likes

Well I have had some positive experiences. I had one guy who decided to use the voice chat to be in character as a Vet who called out things and make little funny comments about our enemies. Randoms in my experience is a mix bag but those who type or talk to me in general have been decent. My two bad ones that I blocked were the get good crowd who everyone sucked besides him even though he wasn’t even helping at all. Eventually we kicked him and finished with some other rando and had fun.

1 Like

If there’s no text logs there’s not anything beyond blocking that can be done. They do need an in game reporting system for when people go beyond the pale.

I tend to play in ways that make it so I rely on others as little as possible. It limits some options, but I don’t have to talk to people 99% of the time. That’s my preemptive defense against having to hear from idiots.

1 Like

Same, either they are complaining or backseat driving. Like bro why would I listen to you while you spectate me, you’re the one who failed already.

1 Like

I know I try to warn of enemies ahead or give words of encouragement. Sometimes the failure is on the party letting someone die.

2 Likes

The failure is always on the person who went down. It’s your responsibility to stay alive, if the team can res you they will, but in the end it’s up to you to not go down in the first place.

And that is completely wrong. This is a team game not a solo game. That mentality is the opposite of what should be going on in the game. Problematic at best, actively helping the game end in failure at worst because of the lack of understanding of roles. People playing this way is the worst.

3 Likes

Can’t agree to that in that totallity!
Sometimes figthing just evolves and seperates you… sh*t happens.
And sometimes I decide to sacrifice myself, as the other person might be of more value, or to buy some time etc, it’s all depending.

But btt:
Unfortunately I do not see any other option than blocking misbehaving ppl.
But I’d like to jump on the detail of “sexist insults” - in Germany a mobile network company did a survey of sexism in gaming.
Results were disapointing. I allways knew gaming is very much male ‘dominated’ (resulting in how women are depicted and how female players are treated), but I do not get why men need to treat women that way.
I actually find it refreshing if I’d encounter more female players … I can’t see where my primal sexual organs help me in being a better player or cause others to be worse …

But still I would have to admit, that in my PERSONAL experience I mostly had good voicechat experience. If it’s on the bad end I mostly get ignored (perhaps cause of lack of language on the other end). Only one stuck with me that fell in to the category of artogance, bet he wasn’t even talking to me, but he was recording a vid …

2 Likes

Spoken like someone who doesn’t understand the games cooperative design intent.

2 Likes

If you’re in game, click escape to go to the menu, click on social, and then block the people that are bothering you.

Luckily I’ve only had to do it a couple times, but I am so glad I knew how to block people in game when they became toxic.

1 Like

You can submit a support ticket, and you should not have to tolerate this behavior. You should not have to worry about using voice chat and getting a ‘barrage of sexist, sexually suggestive and abusive voice comms’. https://support.fatshark.se/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you remember the time and can get your console log that includes that time FS should be able to track down who it was.

4 Likes