Ranger Veteran has no purpose

My biggest concern is that other players can pick up his ammo drop, and when playing with randoms, it gets stolen all the time.

You’re supporting the whole team and you shouldn’t ever run out of ammo with the right traits on your weapon. Also if people steal your ammo, and you have none, they’re responsible for killing specials, not you.

FYI, the Ranger pot talent will get changed soon to drop Concs as well - this will be a huge step into making Ranger more popular.

1 Like

I really disagree, Ranger Dwarf is my fave class by far. While dwarf has the issue of overall bad melee weapons compared to other classes, the shotgun is just OOOF. Combine that with reduced spread for beautiful horde clearing.

Try the perk that makes enemies drop more ammo. Everyone uses the bombs one which truthfully i find extremely over rated. I’d rather everyone stays full ammo and i keep lawn mowing with my shotgun. His special is… very hit and miss and maybe needs a tiny bit of tweaking. It’s amazing in a bad situation to escape or simply kill a patrol without even triggering it.

Endless ammo and an insanely powerful shotgun that can take down elites easily (except chaos warriors) to keep melee a lot more simple for everyone.

Ranger vet needs some more profile. Right now, you can kit him to be very effective, but he is much more defined over his items than anything else. His talents give him a little bit of everything, but he isn’t geared so extremely towards ranged damage as Huntsman, Waystalker, BH or Pyro are, with stuff that benefits his melee, and he isn’t as strong a melee as the other melee carreers with his low HP pool, lackluster active and not much ways to give him either better CC nor better single target damage. Bardin has, in general, very good weaponry at his disposal. Apart from hammer and shield, there are no weapons in his arsenal that are not up to speed, he can always choose to have a good balance between CC and armour damage.
His strongest setup is definitely bringing a handgun (and if you play your cards right: raker) and extra ammo. Bombs are nice, but ultimately either too unreliable or too abundant, and pots are severely hampered by full book runs being the way to go. Extra ammo is so plentiful you can support all the non-ranged classes with ammo, and well-kitted handgun does an absolute number on any elites. Essentially, RV is an ammo dispensing handgun with an okay-ish escape and damage-boosting tool that fails to reach the potential of other classes both in melee and ranged versatility. Much like WHC, he seems to be geared to be more towards a “jack of all trades” that doesn’t really fill a role.

I’d say his shotgun is way more powerful than the rifle. It has endless penetration which means if a horde is in a line he can 1 shot the entire thing.

Different uses. The rifle is immensly powerful against all elites and a good boss killer.

I found it really lackluster against bosses. The damage is pretty small i personally found, to the point where just smacking it is easier.

I hadn’t played him until recently for Okri’s Challenge 13 Legend clears and I have to say he’s extremely good. His DPS is extremely high, he shreds CW, great ammo sustainability, amazing vs hordes, great vs armour, destroys specials, highly mobile, great ult, good survivability. With his support contribution factored in (bombs/pots/ammo) he’s one of the best classes you can have on a team. The fact that he boosts team DPS on top of having great DPS himself is impressive.

He IS extremely potent when paired with a Huntsman, and vice versa. As in: probably the strongest ranged setup currently in the game.

1 Like

I just pick the grudgeraker and put on the DOOM soundtrack. Outside of the general feeling that perks are a bit lackluster he doesn’t seem to be in a particularly bad spot. His F isn’t killing himself anymore, or if it is I haven’t had it happen in some time, and that was my main problem.

1 Like

Bardin’s weapons are actually fairly well balanced, at least among each other. Not to say they don’t need a couple more tweaks, but he doesn’t have the skewed power level weapons that other classes do (halberd, dual daggers, glaive, etc.). Dual axes would count but it’s slayer only.

Hammer+shield is garbage though.

I agree with this, with the additional point that Ranger Vet has two downsides as a ranged class compared to other ranged classes. First he doesn’t have a damage ult (can’t hurt chaos warriors at range), and second that his boss damage is mediocre.

So I end up playing ranger vet as a horde/elite clearer with added utility. For me, ironbreaker and slayer fill that same role but are far more durable, so why take ranger vet? The ironbreaker taunt is better than the stealth for dealing with bad-positioning/patrols as well. I could take crossbow, but then it’s just a worse bounty hunter with crossbow. I could take handgun, but that’s just a worse Huntsman (or IB). That leaves the grudgeraker and the anti-horde/berserker/mauler role, but then again IB can take the grudgeraker as well.

So I think Ranger Vet could use something more to differentiate it from the other Bardin kits. Maybe that’s a unique weapon (the grudgeraker?), maybe that’s some kind of anti-boss role, or maybe it’s a nerf to trait ammo generation (to make his ammo utility more worthwhile). That’s just brainstorming, I can’t say which change would work or what would be the best. It’s kinda like the issue World of Warcraft had with shadow priests for so long: You can’t improve damage too much otherwise you’d always take the damage+utility role. I’d just settled for something different than the other two kits.

For example, back when the ult make ranged attacks auto crit ranger vet was a great boss killer with the crossbow, although it was largely ignored because of huntsman deleting bosses. Even if it was probably a little too good at the time, I was much happier with ranger vet and played it more (since it allowed for Bardin to play anti-boss).