No daemons in Chaos Wastes? C'mon, Fatshark

The only Deamons presence in the Chaos Waste are Deamon Warband that on incursion or were called during a ritual (Though they usually are called when they can be unleashed directly on a city/army), Most of the Chaos Waste are populated by Warband that try to one up each other to obtain their patron god/deamon

1 Like

If you use TW Warhammer map, the north is almost entirely chaos tribes described as Chaos Wastes but not spewing demons out of it’s ar$e all the time. It took Archaon lifetimes of searching to make it to the demon infested area at the northern pole. He literally had to travel through the warp for an eternity to pop out at the Battle Eternal.

It might be nice to have a Bloodletter, Tzeentch Flamer, Pink Horrors or a Daemonette as a higher tier elite than CW, I’d be happy with something that’s actually loads of fun and doesn’t make the pi$$ boil with rage inside my body like Archers/Beastmen do.

And yeah, mention chaos and some people will assume we’re going to go toe to toe with a Bloodthirster or a Great Unclean One or something. Getting in a salty mood about something that has never been mentioned anywhere as part of the Chaos Wastes is a bit self-defeating tbh especially when it’s entirely based upon assumptions.

9 Likes

Wouldn’t Lesser Daemons work better as Monsters than “mere” Elites? I feel like even a single Bloodletter or Daemonette should be an ordeal for the Ubersreik Five.

1 Like

Aren’t lesser demons chaff that are weaker than Chaos Warriors?

1 Like

I thought lesser demons were a bit better than the best mortals. They certainly cost more points per model in TT :roll_eyes:

Having something at a tier in between CW and monsters would be quite cool I think, although maybe a bit tougher than skarrik.

1 Like

Lesser Deamon are a bit buffed up Chaos Warroir (ie: Elite) but they could also be changed into Monster mechanic (As CW could as during the ET 1 CW>5 soldier)

1 Like

So my view of the Chaos Wastes is mostly based on what I’ve read in WH Fantasy novels.
And they make it pretty clear you can enter the Wastes and travel for days or even weeks without running into any demons. It’s also home to plenty of norscans and beastmen wanting to be closer to their gods as they murder each other.
All the insane stuff is waaay up in the north, southern Chaos Wastes isn’t all that weird.

Buuut! Most people seem to have a very different view. So lets say the novels are nonsense, where do I find an official description supporting this :point_down:?

I’m genuinely curious. Because right now the vast majority of people look like raving lunatics to me, please enlighten me so I can stop being annoyed by the (in my view) nonsensical backlash.

14 Likes

We are near Black Rock

So Humans still lives there and Deamon are way more to the north

7 Likes

Yes! Yes! I personally traveled north of Praag. I saw the Chaos Wastes with my own eyes! I climbed the Bastion Stairs of Khorne. I wandered the unthinkable streets of the Inevitabile City!!! Daemons, monsters, mutants - were everywhere! I saw it myself …

… In the good old game Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. Ten years ago.

We have something to compare with, do you understand?

1 Like

The chaos wastes are expansive and not all of it is demon infested lovecraftian horror, the further south you go, the less corruption you’ll see, and demons (unless the day has particularly strong winds of magic) arent even able to manifest in the lower regions without a tether or incredibly powerful mage or mages sustaining them.

5 Likes

You know that one game doesn’t make something canon

Yes… but that quote on its own isn’t all that helpful.
Demons everywhere? Where is “everywhere” in this case? Everywhere north of Praag? Or everywhere in the Inevitable City?
Who said this? Someone sane? Or some crazy doomsayer talking out of his righteous butt?

I know nothing about Warhammer Online, but I totally get that if their version of the Chaos Wastes is just demons absolutely everywhere people who played it would be disappointed with Fatsharks version.

Also this. Several novels line up with the Fatshark Wastes and obviously Gamesworkshop gave it the good ol’ :+1: .
So I still think a Chaos Wastes DLC with no demons is perfectly fine.

6 Likes

This is not a quote. This is what I am saying. I have personally had the good fortune to explore this and many other Old World locations in Warhammer Online. Inside the Old World. It was an absolutely unforgettable adventure.

Oh my bad then. Gotta admit I sometimes get confused by your random italics.

People expected undead when Drachenfels was announced and it was perfect logic for them too.
Stormdorf DLC was pretty underwhelming DLC IMO though it included the only legit boss fight in the V1. The same goes for the Bögenhafen. And it felt so for me cause those DLC were another town maps that pretty much didn’t differ a lot from vanilla and other DLCs. My point is different location can serve as a distinguishing (entertaining) factor itself. Also, FS hinted a different approach to the maps connected to the Chaos magic. So yeah there is a point to choose Chaos Wastes as a new location without including enemies that present there.

3 Likes

I personally saw no logic for it. It would’ve been a non-Chaos aligned faction specific to only 3 maps, made for free, and would be the only faction you encounter throughout the mission and wouldn’t make sense seeing it alongside skaven or the rotbloods. Drachenfels wasn’t known for just the undead, plus he’s not even there and hasn’t been there for ages! It’s an abandoned castle, and we’ve been there before in V1, where it was established to be taken over by whatever forces were dominant at the time, so skaven.

7 Likes

I never really got my hopes up for a whole new faction, but I’ll be honest - I expected we’d get a couple new enemies. Maybe mixed in with Chaos and Skaven, sort of operating on their own table. An elite or two, maybe a special or two.

I’m a bit disappointed, and it is a bit silly to be going to a place that says “here there be daemons” on maps and not see daemons. I’ll wait and see what this DLC brings, but I’m not sure what’s going to be very special about it. I think we’re going to get a new mode, and I’m pretty meh about that - after Weaves I’m not very hyped for new modes. Maybe it’ll be great, but I actually just like the base gamemode a lot still, and I sincerely wish we’d just get more robust additions for that. Hopefully they don’t skimp out and give us just one map like with Winds of Magic.

4 Likes

:joy:

On the other hand, if there’s anything positive to be found about this whole debacle, it’s that the backlash is letting the developers know loud and clear that the playerbase really, really wants to see new enemies, especially Daemons.

The specific wording of "No new enemies at launch" makes me wonder… I think I would actually prefer it if new enemy types were not locked behind a paid expansion, but were a free release for all like the Drachenfels content.

1 Like

Yea, better not leave out the rest of the specific wording:

• There wont be new enemies for the launch of Chaos Wastes. I’m not promising post launch new enemies either, just that we’re exploring options. (Steam)
  • Just to temper expectations, Chaos Wastes will not have new enemies in the fray from day one. Not promising later additions either, but we’d be lying if we said we weren’t exploring the possibilities with ernest. (Twitter)

Sure, they do look into new enemies but they specifically mentioned that new enemies may actually NEVER come. Not saying one thing or another. I just want to avoid another situation where FS totally promised new enemies later on.

Well, I am curious about this comment for other reasons.

1 Like