New video from Indypride/MilkandcookiesTW

I’ve read somewhere that they are very protective about this kind of stuff… That’s where my assumptions come from.

Nah. Look at total war: warhammer and how they keep pulling and pulling named characters from all over the place, adding and changing things as needed (all with the approval of GW, granted, but their complete creative liberty otherwise). Books, novels, army books, small paragraphs in a goddamn white dwarf magazine. If they want to, Creative Assembly talks to GW, they discuss how to best do it, and they do it.

What could be the case (and I’m not sure, only game devs that have worked with GW would know) is that you need to purchase a bigger license for that.

From what I’ve heard/read, part of the reason why there’s so many warhammer video games is because GW has this thing where you purchase the license exclusively for what you need, not for the entire IP. This is cheaper for the developer, because you just buy what you need, but if you eventually want to do more and it goes out of your license, you need to buy the license for that other thing, too.
Tis just what I’ve heard, however.

Okay I didn’t know about different licenses. I always guessed that Games Workshop just looks at what you need and do and adjust their costs.

I believe Total War Warhammer and Vermintide 2 are a bit different here and can’t really be compared.
I saw Total War Warhammer more like a game to the story of what happened or could have happened. You control the story, you control how the End Times play out.

Vermintide on the other hand actually creates story, creates characters, where you actually follow a story then you got created by FatShark/GW.

2 Likes

Sure, but then you have things like specific characters getting their story fleshed out a lot. Like, for example, Luthor Harkon got a ton of extra stuff added to his backstory, that’s more than just a what if or what happened. His existance was changed, because CA felt like using him and decided what was already there wasn’t enough.
The key here is that whenever they want to add something or edit something lore-wise, they get in touch with GW and work it out in a back and forth until both parties are satisfied with the result.
So GW is definitely very, very protective of the IP, but that doesn’t necessarily means they’re unflexible, things can be arranged and discussed until change is ready and approved.

1 Like

Okay didn’t know about Luthor. (well I know not very much about him anyway).

Sure would be cool. I always wished for an encounter with a notable character. Even mere mentions like Karl-Franz being a Penny-Pincher fill me with joy.

In fact, Drachenfels was not a vampire. In the first edition of the WFRP he was simply the most powerful warlock/necromancer who could even play directly with the forces of chaos.
With the appearance of the second edition and the fact that it became more compatible with WFB, his importance has fallen quite strongly. Now he is some kind of undead which they call Nameless, however, his story remained unchanged. He was killed by a vampire and a noble man.

Oh CA has made much more changes just for the game for example: Solland as separate province, and the latest FLC with Repanse de Lyonesse. Game is great but is not good source of lore :slight_smile:

Rebel is not bickering. He is right. Mashmonster is a corporate white knight troll.

3 Likes

“I am enlightened in my defeatist beliefs.”

4 Likes

Ok dude. Keep wasting your time by shouting into the proverbial black hole of feedback. It’s a video game.

Yep, it’s a videogame that I and others like a lot and want to see improve. I will continue giving feedback even if none of it is ever read.

4 Likes

I’ll be waiting with bated breath as you desperately hope for unreasonable and shortsighted changes that only you think would be good to make it into the game.

I don’t think anyone cares if you read the feedback, it’s not meant for you but the developers.

1 Like

Admittedly I haven’t been able to read through all 53 comments but I will be locking this to prevent more arguing. I’d also like to say we are aware of this video and appreciate their input. :heart:

13 Likes