Moonfire Bow is Overpowered

More that I’ve seen a lot of people with conflicting opinions about the state of balance. Won’t name names because that’d be toxic ofc but something I’ve noticed. Not salty about it.

2 Likes

Ahhhhhhh yeah I’m with you now. No good deed goes unpunished :wink: I swear the older I get the more true that seems to be.

1 Like

If just comparing the weapons to eachother then yeah MB is better than GFP, issue is just that the latter perfectly compliments bounty hunter who effectively neutralizes all the downsides except stormvermin i´d guess.

Bosses? Ability use eats them alive, faster than moonbow i might add.

Chaos warriors? Ability use eats them alive.

Unarmored anything that isnt far away? Pistols tears them up.

Firerat or gunrat? Ability use is accurate enough to bum them down when they are walking up if you teammates arent shooting them. The former can even be shot down pretty quickly with pistol shots from what i can tell.

Alright alright sorry I shouldn’t have said anything. I really don’t want to derail this thread, so if anyone has enough of an issue with Griffonfoot to make a “Griffonfoot is overtuned” or equivalent thread I’ll happily continue this conversation there. For here and now I’ll just say I get where you’re coming from but don’t fully agree. I’d probably put it as middle of the pack for new DLC weapons myself, behind coruscation and Moonfire. That’s just my opinion, again, if we want to get into this in detail we should open an appropriate thread for it.

Relevant thread: Griffonfoot Discussion & Feedback

2 Likes

Please keep in mind that in my solo games I kill 80% -90% of the specials on the map. I just have no right to afford (and my bots) “funny” weapons like a shotgun, flamethrower or grenade launcher. When every first Globadier, Blighthstormer or Rattling gunner is the true End Times. There is no room for pampering.

So I need a weapon like a handgan. “One shot - kill” on any distance - is not entertainment, it is survival.

1 Like

Being one of those who is self aware of conflicting views i do think i know where you are coming in from x)

However in my defense i´d like to state that i do not think there is any real conflict in stating that legend has been powercrept to the skies and that nerfing a weapon that is extremely overpowered there would likely make said weapon really bad in cata.

For instance moonbow, weapon is doubtlessly overpowered in legend but on cata it´d become bad if hit with a nerf that effectively makes it need more than 1 shot for most specials. But there is no way to fix that problem that also solves the issue of it being too strong on legend without some serious work on the fatshark side.

Like difficulty specific weapon balancing, as unrealistic a workload as that is.

Similarly i do not think hagbane is overpowered for lower difficulties, since everything dies so darn quick anyway, but on cata meanwhile its doubtlessly very strong and nerfing it would just render it even less of a good pick below.

2 Likes

tbh I don’t know how bad it’d be on cata with a soft enough nerf to it but I guess at that point it’s like…why bother

I’m sure messing around with numbers enough could find a happy middle ground, it’s work I could not be bothered doing for the time being though

…Very true, a soft nerf wouldnt really hurt but on the other hand a soft nerf wouldnt stop it from doing what it does anyway.

It´d be a placebo thing with a lot of time invested that coulda been spent fixing bugs or reworking dead talents or something else that actually does good for the game.

I’m gonna keep quoting this till y’all pay attention. Tones it down across all difficulties without hurting WS and without removing any breakpoints. Honestly might still be too strong but at least it’d be closer to being in line and not a complete no brainer pick on Shade and HM

No, it’s not
it does little damage , has low ammo and takes too long to reload

That nerf is ultimately a soft one that does not solve the problems.

In legend the population of specials&elites is much, much lower than cata, so any weapon that just bumps 4-5 of them off, even with a 20 second cooldown, is overpowered there. Because by the time you encounter more the bow is ready to go again.

Exception being some events but heck even then i´d not be surprised if it got the lion´s share overall. And legend Chaos warriors? If our problem was on shade/hm specifically then that´s a really pointless change. both of them can bring down one of those in an instant even without a bow.

Nope, the bow by design cannot be good in cata and balanced in legend at the same time, not in this present system. The closest you´ll get is hagbane which is really strong in cata but weak in legend because everything dies too quickly anyway.

are we using the same bow?

4 Likes

Here’s two different on their own ideas for brainstorming:

• Decrease the damage of uncharged shots by a lot and increase the time it takes to ready a charged shot, kind of like how Bolt staff is.
  • Make it have an ammo count of 12 shots.
2 Likes

Moonfire is literally better at everything than longbow. Sniping specials, easy you dont even need headshot to oneshoot special on cata. Dealing with elites, easy you can even deal with CW. Ammo sustain, what ammo? Dealing with hordes, its little worse but why would you even use it for hordes, in dense packed its actually way better though.

2 Likes

Honestly I didn’t really mean for balancing in legend. I just meant balancing it in a class specific way. I agree it’s very difficult to balance it for both Legend and Cata

moonfire bow

1 Like

Perhaps a good idea would be to reduce or even completly remove the DoT effect but increase the range of the initial AoE damage. It would make the Bow fill an entirely new niche for Keri and also reduce the OPness against single targets.

Something I really think problematic with the Moonfire Bow is that it isn’t any better or can even be considered worse for the Waystalker than for the Handmaiden.

It is outright worse for waystalker, but that is fine given that Handmaiden and Shade have both been balanced locked out of swift and hagbane for a long time now. They could use those bows but they were extremely inferior to waystalker doing it.

Swiftbow in particular.

So we are looking at a case where waystalker keeps on being the best at 3 outa 4 bows in general and extremely so for 2 of them.

Moonfire bow lets waystalker use Piercing Shot builds while still not giving a damn about ammo. That’s absolutely huge. Being unable to regenerate ammo was one of the primary limiting factors of that talent. Now waystalker is free to spam down bosses & junk like BH while retaining all of her special killing prowess.

2 Likes