Moonfire Bow is Overpowered

Nerfing the uncharged shots is a probably a given since they still 1shot almost all specials, have 6 shots and have no “ready time” where you have to draw the bow - similar to how you can draw and instantly shoot with the crossbow.

You should at least have to draw the bow to get good damage out of it (like with any other bow) so just using lmb attacks should not deal so much dmg.

3 Likes

To be fair, piercing shot is waaaay less reliable than double shotted on bosses, no stagger and all that. And the hitbox is super weird with chaos warriors and raiders for some reason.

Its very potent when its working well though.

I mean… it’s more balanced. There’s also Loaded Bow.
Can’t say the same about Double Shotted; tossing a boss around and stagger locking them into a corner.

Being less reliable is one way to make it more fair^^

Either you are very dang sure about the shot or you are probably about to experience a long ass cooldown. And even if you land it that doesnt mean you got a few more shots for free unless it happened to hit and knockdown a troll.

I wouldn’t even say it’s less reliable, it does what it says on the tin.
A full cooldown build is like 30 - 40 seconds of ult downtime, if that.

Point is, Moonfire builds have the luxury of choice.

4 Likes

I don’t know if this has been said but what if the Moonfire bow didn’t have automatic recharge? One would have to recharge it like Sienna would vent by holding reload. Now one has to charge the bow in combat instead of emptying it and then switching to melee until it’s ready for another barrage. Then it would be infinite ammo weapon with very long reload. The recharge speed wouldn’t need to be linear: first shot could take longer to get and following shots are aquired faster than the previous one. This would encourage to fully charge it instead of getting one shot ready, firing it and then repeat.

2 Likes

Interesting suggestion, it would make it into a crank gun of sorts.

1 Like

Yes, I like this idea too. It would be great to make animation and voice acting, as if elf is praying to her goddess to send her magical arrows. :crescent_moon:

In any case, this is definitely better than turning paid weapons into useless junk.

Hmm so the main advantage (opness?) of the Bow is its Special-Killing-Power (btw: without getting the last hit in most cases!). Besides that there is more ammo left for the others . So its a weapon which mainly supports the team… I see no reason to nerf it.

1 Like

That would probably make the weapon feel like jank.
Forcing players into a tedious animation isn’t very engaging and was probably one of Throwing Axes & Crank guns biggest complaints. Even BoP to some degree.

Like MWP left click, trying to balance the damage with clunky mechanics/animations just feels bad.

7 Likes

This is all perfectly correct you said.

More important that in my solo games I either control the course of the battle, killing all the specials as quickly as possible, or I lose per second. This is the main requirement for the choice of weapons in my games - for me and my bots.

In addition, after patch 3.3, bots steal ammo in the worst possible way in an absolutely disgusting way. Freeing yourself from addiction to ammo is good.

@James This is also true. No matter how they praise the masterwork pistol on the forum - I hate this ‘weapon’. I suffered terribly doing the ‘Targeting Array’ challenge, so I have only negative associations with this pathetic pistol.

I never use this pistol again. I have my reliable handgun instead.

No, the main advantage is the amount of damage it can dish out against everything without being supported by talents, properties or traits but with unlimited ammunition and no reload time.

3 Likes

Moonfire bow is a unuiqe weapons with a fun look and mechanic that belongs in a fantasy game quite nicely.

Nerfing recharge time or altering that mechanic would make it frustrating to use i think.

One idea would be to make it possible to charge it to a third level where it does the dmg is equal to what it is now. Maybe give it the movement restriction Krubers longbow have when you reach that third level charge.
I think that would give the weapon an “oomph” feeling despite it being nerfed.

Moonfire bow needs a nerf so that you have to invest slightly into breakpoints on legend and then Red level breakpoints in Cata.

The problem with nerfs is that it sometimes takes away the power fantasy etc.
It’s important that this bow feels like a powerful magical artifact that sets your enemies ablaze but right now it just a kill stealer and friendly fire nuisance for everyone who is not an elf.

PS: The Moonfire Bow feels well designed to me when I’m the one using it. But playing anything but Cata Story Missions when someone else is using it is a bit frustrating.

Tone down the impact damage or the DoT. The kind of damage it’s doing right now on Cata is the kind of damage I’d expect from 40% power versus + Enhanced Power + OE aura + WHC tag against everything.

That said, having fun with it. Feels nice not being punished for missing headshots or not taking ammo sustain talents. Don’t know what all this hubbub about it being bad on Waystalker is about.

1 Like

i think maybe the easiest solution would be to nerf impact dmg, then it would still keep its niche as “hagbane longbow”

Guys, nerfing the impact damage wouldnt do much. Look at the numbers, the majority of damage comes from the DoT. Even without impact damage a charged body shot would still do 105 damage. The worst part is, that power enhancements also enhance the DoT damage by a far more significant margin than it buffs the impact damage.

This weapon will be a nightmare to properly balance and Fatshark didnt really do many balance updates in the lifetime of Vermintide 2, so it should be fair to assume that this weapon will be used a lot for a quite a while.

6x9.25 from dots (thats 55.5)
32.25 from impact

A charged shot doubles the dot ticks.

Getting rid of the stagger and the impact damage would actually achieve something. A usual special has 90 hp. You either have to charge, or double fire to kill one. Suddenly the bow cant kill six specials in a row with quick bodyshots anymore. We are down to four via charged shots. Eshin still die in one quickshot. Armor stuff needs more attention.

That sounds fine, until you realize that you dont need any properties, or EP for this to happen.

2 Likes

finally a weapon I enjoy and people call for its nerf :expressionless: why does it bother anyone if its a little op its not like its a pvp game. sure its a bit on the strongside when hitting patrols with charged shots but having to shoot a special and wait for it to die is not exactly an advantage. in fact its a disadvantage. a fire rat is still going to cook you on cata or a poison rat will still throw its bomb and potentially damaging everyone. and your team dont even need a fire rat with you around to get cooked because it has crazy friendly fire :joy: I do them rarely but still they must sting very badly because people got really angry :smiley: like I said to my friend the other day now I can friendly fire him with the both of effects of longbow and hagbane at the sametime if he keeps jumping in front of me for no reason.

Shoot it twice. Or move.

4 Likes